The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

a quick straw poll …

Home Forums Horse Racing a quick straw poll …

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

Mergemusic
    i’m for racing and race courses implementing new ideas to get paying punters thru the gates but chas’n’dave and phil taylor are not what i want to see when i go racing

but then i could be being a narrow minded snob who prefers the course to himself anyway – i certainly wouldn’t have gone to kempton the other evening if i’d known it was irish night

what do people think – more chas’n’dave, tribute bands or over the hill acts and some dodgy beer-related activities to drag in people that wouldn’t normally go or, not ?

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

.. that’s quite a difficult question really .. if racing continues to decline in popularity then probably yes.

James_Richardson
    • Total Posts 18

I agree with Dave Jay, with numbers on the decline, a form of entertainment, as long as its tasteful, creative and not tacky, has to be a good thing.

It’s worked to a certain extent with cricket now, where music, cheerleaders etc are more commonplace, this really stemmed from the success of 20-20.

Just my 2 penniworth

James

class tells
    • Total Posts 207

as a regular at ayr what about proper toilets,seat at big meatings yes seats not treared like cattle, somwhere to eat not ripped off ,7pounds for small carton of curry at grand national meeting dont get me started :evil:

lekha85
    Participant
    • Total Posts 330

Anything to get the punters in…if it works then I think they should keep it up, distasteful as some people may find it…

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

………………but won’t that mean that the standard of the racing could well drop, because the people who are coming to watch the bands wouldn’t know the difference between a seller and a class 2 handicap?

Colin

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

First of all,

Chase N Dave or Phil Taylor would not attract me to a race meeting.

Personally if I wanted to see a tribute band, or if I wanted to see a genuine band, I would go and see them on their tour, not on a race night.

I’ve said for many many years, the only way to increase the attendances and get families and younger people to the races is to introduce free entry – I really think it’s that simple, or at least for the ‘lesser’ tracks it is anyway.

I guarantee you, that if a family of four were stuck for something to do on a hot day, and they then heard of their local race track staging a days racing, with a funfair or childrens activities, a picnic area etc and the entry fee was free, then they would love the chance to attend. The majority of families would turn up, spend a lot of money on refreshments, food, beverages, the funfair etc and the racecourse would make a mint.

On the other hand, if the same family read that then entry fee was going to cost around £30 in total, they would then calculate in the cost of food and refreshments, funfair, ice creams etc and probably think ‘stuff that’ – and you would see them end up at the local grotty beach or something similar.

Just my thoughts.

Mike

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

………………and pretty accurate thoughts, if I may say so!

Colin

the welsh wizard
    • Total Posts 352

This is the problem with Capitalism, it’s not so much a theory as a teleology – everything has to progress – more, better, bigger – standing still is not an option. When we had little pi55pot crowds at nearly every afternoon meeting, and about half as many horses in training as there are now, that for me was the golden era of racing. When journalists spoke only about the horses.
    Then grinning gooks like Lesley Graham come on TV telling people how much fun shared ownership is, and Claire Balding tells everyone what an amazing experience it is to come racing, and Alastair Down tells how York/Epsom/Goodwoood/whatever meeting it is that week is THE festival of the racing year for serious fans – all hype and smoke and mirrors.

Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

Has to be done, Simon.

Racing has had to bite the bullet in the face of social change. Large proportions of the population appear to be housebound due to the internet, the absence of rising damp, satellite TV on demand, comfortable futons, PokerStars, takeaway pizza and the late night telephone ladies.

In order to stimulate motion amongst the nation’s comfort mushrooms, any day out needs to have plenty of added value and occasion potential.

Apparently, Jools Holland, UB40 and Hot Chocolate, (without Errol Brown, or indeed, any of the classic Chocolatiers) imply sufficient added value to fill the stands. Someone in the powers-that-be spotted this trend years ago and fair play to them.

Look at Kempton! Absolutely booming this summer because of the theme nights and like it or not, it can only be a good thing for racing. It’s certainly more moral than slots/FOBT’s which many people feel is the next subsidising step.

(Incidentally, as the attention span of the population becomes more amoeba-like, I wouldn’t be surprised to see the gaps between races cut to twenty minutes in 2010).

the welsh wizard
    • Total Posts 352

Anything to get people in? What a sickening attitude, but how redolent of the 21st Century it is!
    If political parties are unpopular, they jettison age-old tenets in order to give people what they want. Anything to get elected.
    Hmmm – people dont like white clothes and redballs – lets do away with them. People cant concentrate for longer than an hour at a time – let’s limit matches to 20 overs.
    People don’t really want to come and watch horse racing – in fact, many people find it mildly offensive. No matter – lets stick a band on, a fun-fair, and any amount of assorted bullshite around the racecourse and sell shed-loads of alcohol, that way people will come and spend money whether they like racing or not!

Here’s a plan – lets just put racing on – and concentrate on pleasing the core of racing fans that are out there. If that means a greatly reduced (in terms of quantity) product then fine. More has not meant better. as any true racing fan of the last 20 years will tell you.
    I spent my adolescence in betting shops, and loved every minute, but I have not been able to spend more than 3 minutes in one for the last 8 years or so. I have spent most of the last 10 years on racecourses, and fear that the day is approcahing when that love turns to loathing also.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

I’ve said for many many years, the only way to increase the attendances and get families and younger people to the races is to introduce free entry – I really think it’s that simple, or at least for the ‘lesser’ tracks it is anyway.

Aye. However many thousands of free entrants to Towcester since 2004 can’t be wrong.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Sal
    • Total Posts 562

I’m in favour of added attractions – as long as they do not impinge on the main event. I’m afraid I don’t buy into all this ‘doom and gloom’, ‘better in the good old days’ stuff. If you remember, that was also when crowds were strictly divided into the plebs and the posh, women had to go into a separate stand and no-one bar the titled was allowed to own a horse….

Racecourses have become much more creative in using their resources (the land and stands) in the last fifteen years, finding new revenue streams from land that was just standing empty when there was no racing taking place. It makes perfect sense to hold a concert after racing, to use grandstands for conferences on quiet days, to use the land for carboots or funfairs. This is all outside money coming into racing, and it is needed. The ‘core’ racing fans simply cannot finance racing, even on the old scale of much less racing and fewer horses. If racecourses can increase crowds by offering added attractions for core fans extended circle (ie amusements for kids, a nice restaurant for Auntie Maud, the Sugababes for Kevin the Teenager) then it all helps to boost the coffers and profile of racing.

Having taken many non-fans racing in the past, I have found the surest way to convert them is for them to have a few winners. However, the second best way to get them to return to racing is to give them an interesting and comfortable day out, with maybe a good sit-down meal, and some extra entertainment for when their horses finish last. It doesn’t mean ‘pandering to the masses’, it means conversion by stealth.

Free entry should be more widely used too – it is a consolation when it’s pouring with rain and your nap got brought down when clear at the last that at least you haven’t paid to get in.

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Free entry should be more widely used too – it is a consolation when it’s pouring with rain and your nap got brought down when clear at the last that at least you haven’t paid to get in.

Who brought it down Sal when it was clear? :lol:

Sorry, couldn’t resist!

Mike

the welsh wizard
    • Total Posts 352

I’m in favour of added attractions – as long as they do not impinge on the main event. I’m afraid I don’t buy into all this ‘doom and gloom’, ‘better in the good old days’ stuff. If you remember, that was also when crowds were strictly divided into the plebs and the posh, women had to go into a separate stand and no-one bar the titled was allowed to own a horse….

Fifteen or twenty years ago, during my golden age of Racing, even a scumbag from a council estate like me was allowed to mix it with all manner of gentlefolk providing one could stump up the £8 or £10 cost of a member’s badge, there was always plenty of eye candy in the shape of pretty females to rub shoulders with, and I frankly couldn’t give a flying fig who owned the horses I was watching, still don’t.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.