The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

How did you get into racing?

Home Forums Lounge How did you get into racing?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Liz
    • Total Posts 14

Just because I’m nosey and interested….

But, question’s to those especially under 30;

How did you get into racing?<br>Why?<br>Are you from a racing family/background?<br>Who do you go racing with ? groups? on your own?

Just interested as although I’ve had horses for 12years I’m not from your typical horsey background (well, not until I convinced them!).  I got hooked on racing by watching it on the telly when I was about 11 or 12, then progressed to dragging my parents to Cheltenham by the time I was about 13 and have been going regularly since about 14.

But here’s the problem… none of my friends are into it, I have one mate who is a regular however this hit home this week when work has stopped him coming to Chelt with me… you’d have thought a spare members badge would be easy to fill but i’ve had to BEG my friends to come with me, just about found one for each day now but they are definately comming under sufference!

Just being nosey, and bored at work so need to fill the time!

Liz

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2728

<br> Liz I am far more interested in your work<br> than any replies you may get from jumping alcopoppers

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

Will go into more detail later.

But..

1. My grandad used to work at Haydock and togeter with my grandmother they lived about 100 yards from the 5f start at the track<br>2. I ride anyway (well did at the time) and love horses and the competition<br>3. No way, definitely not a racing background – about as far from it<br>4. At the moment I go racing with my girlfriend and sometimes friends though have been on my own once or twice

That and my win in the Donkey Derby coming from well off the pace, was a cracking ride I gave Chloe that day – was ride of the season according to my friend (who’s sister I beat into second) after he’d bet on me :)

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

I’m actually 31 but thats practically under 30 so here goes

1. Went to Fairyhouse Grand National when a nipper (under 10) with my grandad but lost interest in my teens. Went socially a couple of times in early twenties before making a big effort to delve further into the form before I went another time.

2. Love trying to work out the form etc. Like a big ongoing never-ending jigsaw puzzle but brilliant when you find a piece that fits (preferably not an edge piece!)

3. Not at all although my other grandad was fond of the bookies (and the bookies were fond of him)

4. Rarely go now due to family commitments (just an excuse I know). Went to Fairyhouse a couple of weeks ago with my yearling to show him the horses but the previous 4 times I went on my own as no friends are into racing at all. Most of them probably won’t have a bet this week.

You should have put notice of the badge on the site. It would have been snapped up!

Liz
    • Total Posts 14

Had me in fits of giggles with the donkey derby thing!  I’m suprised with the class of a couple of these new races at Cheltenham they haven’t introduced one… or a shetland grand national! ;) :biggrin:

I’m hoping that a trip to the festival may turn one or two of my long suffering friends into mad racing fanatics!

Liz

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2728

<br> Like most people Lizzie<br> I got into racing on the back of a slip.

You seem to be intolerant of men that stand up to you,<br> and I very much hope this excludes your employer,<br> who must have the face of a donkey<br> or possibly a saint.

The Shetland grand national has been done before<br> and was won by a little horse called Foinavon :cool:

Liz
    • Total Posts 14

Gamble,

Don’t really understand this comment….

"You seem to be intolerant of men that stand up to you, <br>and I very much hope this excludes your employer, <br>who must have the face of a donkey <br>or possibly a saint. ".

Didn’t  think I’d been intollerent of anyone?

Confused.<br>Liz

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2728

:old:<br>  Liz my dear dont fret.<br>  You blanked my banality and <br>  the rebuff hurt me. Tcha.<br>  I questionned you about your employment<br>  and received a maggie frozen shoulder<br>  and a pair of zipped lips<br>  suited to a nunnery !

Who cares it’s a miserable monday,<br>  you are earning some bread at work<br>   snitching some interest on here,<br>   behind his back,<br>   and me,<br>   I am sitting in a green towelling robe,<br>   hidden in a back room away from the world.<br>   Thank God.<br>   I slept very badly through the night<br>   expecting Wallace’s exciting cheese<br>   to scoop best actor’s actor<br>   and beat Brando’s forgotten butter<br>   into a foul smelling pulp fiction.<br>   Channel four was an awful bore with its<br>   tumultuous advertising,<br>   but in between the menace was not at all bad.<br>   Silence of the lambs hurt my sleep a bit though…

to clarice…

good nutrition may have lengthened your bones,<br>   but in reality you are only a generation away from<br>   common white trash

even fouled that up

I have also ruminated on the possible demise<br>   of a big writing name,<br>   an old favourite Captain Cornwall<br>   whose blotted his book.<br>   You were not around five years ago,<br>   but I am telling you there were fireworks <br>   on the boards in those days,<br>   you couldn’t imagine the brutality of it.<br>   No room for banality then<br>   it was in yer face <br>   and get hung if you can’t take it.

Oh well a little away from the hill<br>   but still

Liz
    • Total Posts 14

Sorry! ;)

Didn’t mean to blank you but avoiding the beady eyes of the boss means I only get to glimpse at the forum… must have missed your first post.

Oh, and the question of my work… non horse related so very boring!  (need to do something to fund the horses!)  But if anyone has any jobs going near the glos area that would be fantastic.. out of a job in 3 weeks :o

Liz :cool:

zome
    • Total Posts 232

How did you get into racing? —  I used to spend every saturday insisting on having the racing on, straddling the arm of the sofa.  I still do it too.  Odd P2Ps here and there also.<br>Why? ——  If i knew, i’d tell you.<br>Are you from a racing family/background? —– nope, i grew up on a farm, so there was always horses and ponies kicking about.  I think i almost killed one pony who was particuarly speedy… i used to take him out on the farm, and thrash him about top peg for acres.  Poor bugger.  My parents are quite in to racing when they want to be… ie.  Big Meetings, or a local p2p.<br>Who do you go racing with ? groups? on your own?  —–  Usually by myself at local courses ie Towcester and Warwick, but me and Zoz are old buddies so we go racing together whenever possible.  Also my brother and his boyfriend are dragged along sometimes.  I’ve managed to get my brother a bit obsessed too.  I think it’s also my fault Zoz is into racing too.   I forced it in her face when we were 10.  I was persistant…. now look where she is!

<br>ALSO.  Always looking for fun people to go racing with, me and Zoz at Chelters on Wednesday if you’d care to exchange tips and put the world to rights.  I warn you though… i’m odd… and Zoz is more sarcastic than anything you’d ever encounter.

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2728

:old:

Liz, you should be steering yourself<br> towards a self-employment option,<br> for god’s sake borrow the money<br> and in the words of the 02 top-up girl<br> let’s get going

You have a creative talent<br> I cannot quite put my finger on<br> but it is there<br> just like the bottom half of me<br> that’s stuck to this chair.

No need for any apologies Liz<br> we’re all as cold as brass monkeys in here<br> and little will warm us <br> or possibly should.

I am in a similar boat to you as it happens<br> with a big crossroads ahead of me <br> sporting two big blank signs.<br> I am actually thinking of getting a job<br> – not that I NEED TO,<br>  no just to repay the harm, the debt to society,<br> the misspent time,<br> to give a little back to<br> good souls like yourself<br> who’d love to see gamble’s arse in gear<br> driving a plough<br> or catching a misdemeanour<br> or better still a tax evader<br> with his hands in the honey.

I have never forgotten the fun though,<br> I moth to fun like a bright light,<br> I need my own boot camp<br> my own Heaven’s gate labelled  barbed shirt,<br> with my own thousand blinkless leers<br> and hundred sticks to beat and chide<br> and that boot click on every corner<br> that exudes the exciting smell that only black leather forces<br> as it creases into reformative action<br> to stir the dead cow within

<br> Sorry Zome,<br> I didn’t see thee<br> on hoss<br> <br>

(Edited by gamble at 5:27 pm on Mar. 13, 2006)

Meshaheer
    • Total Posts 486

I’m 20 but I got into racing when I was 7, watching the Grand National That Never Was of all races! It was a sheer calamity, I loved it. I don’t know how it got me hooked but it did, and every Saturday (or any other time racing was on) I sat and watched the racing, gaining knowledge about it.

None of my family have even the slightest interest in racing, and nor do my friends.

However since being at Uni I’ve met a few people into racing (not as much as me though) and I’ve been to Exeter races with them which has been a good laugh. Otherwise I drag my parents racing with me but they still don’t have a real interest…my dad doesn’t even like it!

It’s hard to keep up with racing being at Uni with a ridiculously active social life, and this week Cheltenham is on at a time when I have an essay to do of all things. Well, must get my priorities right…Channel 4 will be on tomorrow afternoon!

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

Yeah Mesh, the parents aren’t all in favour of Cheltenham.

Remember going to Newmarket with my parents and sister for Champions Day – the year Kalanisi beat Montjeu, Love Divine, Slickly etc and my sister and mum were chatting to Frankie Dettori’s neighbour and she invited them in for a cup of tea lol.

Still have the Grand National Mesh refers to on video and often get it out just to hear some of my favourite commentary moments and to watch the entire calamity.  

For Liz, that was the year we re-named all the horses at riding for a race after the runners in the National, I would end up with Captain Dibble.  

Meshaheer
    • Total Posts 486

Ah that Champion’s Day (2000) holds fond memories for me too I.S. It was at the height of my obsession with Frankie Dettori and my late journalist friend George Ennor arranged a meet-up with him before racing got underway…suffice to say I was on cloud nine for the whole day! Remember being severely out of luck on the betting front though.

Also, talking of Captain Dibble…he was the first favourite racehorse I had, as we had backed him in that National and from then on I followed him in all his races.

(Edited by Meshaheer at 7:28 pm on Mar. 13, 2006)

Liz
    • Total Posts 14

Gamble,

Don’t get a job, it’s really not the way forward – despite requiring the money to survive I’d rather be sitting at home on my arse watching the racing/exercising the horses!<br>I love your emails, wish I could write like that… but think I’d run out of things to say and end up babbling!<br>The self employment option is underway (http://www.affinityprintandpromotions.co.uk) but is taking more effort than ‘proper’ work!!!!!

To the rest of you… it’s nice to know i’m not the only strange person around obsessed with half ton of out of control animal charging around a track jumping ridiculously big obsticals – all in the name of fun. :o :biggrin:

Zome… the Pony thing made me giggle (with embarassment :) ) as I did the same thing on my 12.3hh welsh pony, hoike up the old stirrups and go charging round fields!!!!!!!!  But the pony loved it… if only they had these pony racing series when I was growing up!  She wasn’t the best steeplechaser or hurdler for that matter and much prefered refusing … I think our form figures would have read UR, UR, UR…….

Re Chelts on Wed, I am very odd too so that would be great, also very good at putting the world to rights but not so good with my tips……! :(

This time tomorrow I feel my pocket may be a fair bit lighter but i’ll be smiling a whole lot more (though that maybe a combination of the Vodka / guiness….)

Anyone out in Cheltenham on Friday night?  I think it’s set to be a good party…!

Liz

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.