The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

A fully deserved 21 day ban for Havlin

Home Forums Horse Racing A fully deserved 21 day ban for Havlin

Viewing 16 posts - 18 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Avatar photoThe Tatling Cheekily
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

The stable clearly didn’t want the Godolphin horse beaten. As others have stated, SDS’s ‘effort’ on Stone of Destiny was far worse and him and connections has just walked away scot free. Even his explanation was horrendous. A Portland winner needing a 5f trip. Righto.

BUY THE SUN

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

I don’t blame Havlin for appealing. If SDS gets nothing for his blatant non trying ride, why should Havlin get 21 days?

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

In fairness to SDS he was clearly surprised by Stone of Destiny tanking along like that. He didn’t have time to formulate a believable plan, so just pulled him up before staying on about a millenium too late.

BUY THE SUN

Participant
    • Total Posts 1508

Presumably the owners of Stowell were aware that it was not supposed to win? Otherwise they would be rather browned off at being denied a win.

I've stumbled on the side of twelve misty mountains
    I've walked and I crawled on six crooked highways
    thewexfordman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1200

I’m sure the Rothchild family will survive without the extra £1,600 they would have got for coming first instead of second.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4118

Why would the Rothschild family want to play second fiddle to an Arab Emperor? What crazy world would this be?

Participant
    • Total Posts 1508

If I was the owner I would want the win, prize money doesn’t come into it. I would be having a word in Gosdens shell like.

I've stumbled on the side of twelve misty mountains
    I've walked and I crawled on six crooked highways
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

Just looked at the sectional times for the race. Stowell ran progressively faster times in each of the last three furlongs. How often does a horse run the last furlong faster than the one before? Not very often, I would have thought. Which suggests to me that Stowell was full of running and should have won.

Participant
    • Total Posts 7470

Cork All Star

I don’t get heavily involved at Lingfield since it’s heavily biased towards fast finishers (Stowell should have been one of those) and the lead frequently changes in the closing stages. Track position often counts more than outright ability.

As a side issue to this event I note that Rab Havlin’s SP returns are 69.3% over the last 5 seasons, that’s -644 pts from 2093 rides. This suggests the market hasn’t cottoned on to the fact that his horses perform significantly worse than their SP returns.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

A couple of podcasts claim a jockey heard Havlin shouting “keep that f###ing thing going!” to Dettori.

BUY THE SUN

Participant
    • Total Posts 7470

‘A couple of podcasts claim’…

Hmmm.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

Aye it sounded a bit dubious, but made me laugh none the less.

BUY THE SUN

Participant
    • Total Posts 7470

It used to be “this guy in the pub told me…” 🙂

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

It did indeed Rob. Simpler and better times. Those ‘word-of-mouth’ gambles where everyone in the pub were on used to be were great. I remember a brilliant day where someone was going on and on about ‘Soldiers Tale’ for the Diamond Jubilee in the pub on a Friday night. Knew a lad, who knew a lad in the yard or sumat. “If it rains, this wins” if I recall correctly. Seemed like the whole boozer got on at 20’s and the roof was raised when he got up a short head at 8’s under an inspired Murtagh. Great memories.

BUY THE SUN

Participant
    • Total Posts 16516

Stowell won well on turf at Ascot in a three runner race. Good galloping action under a ride by Martin Harley.
    Third home at Lingfield Reverend Hubert rides today at Salisbury.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

Won at 7’s. Fair to say ‘Havlins Race’ is working out ok!

BUY THE SUN

Viewing 16 posts - 18 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.