The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

A Couple of AW Questions for the more informed than me…

Home Forums Horse Racing A Couple of AW Questions for the more informed than me…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    akaali
    • Total Posts 39

Is the idea of the all-weather track at Musselburgh now dead in the water?

Will Great Leighs ever start racing again, if not what is to happen to the track?

Participant
    • Total Posts 7508

Answer to the first question is yes. The plan was rejected back in 2007 by the Scottish executive after a three week public enquiry.

Great Leighs won’t be racing again. A buyer couldn’t be found for the racecourse and the latest I heard was that it will sold for redevelopment.

Rob

akaali
    • Total Posts 39

Cheers Rob – shame on both fronts really! I thought I’d read recently that the AW at Musselburgh was not totally ruled out, although very vociferous local opposition was noted pre-2007.

Participant
    • Total Posts 7508

akaali

Actually I beg to differ regarding the first one. A floodlit all-weather track at Musselburgh would have b****red the place totally. Much as I would welcome an all-weather track in Scotland going to be the right setting.

Rob

akaali
    • Total Posts 39

By that I take it you mean it would have turned the course into a Wolves of the North. At risk of pulling my head firmly on the block, I will anyway!, I think Scottish racing could easily lose Musselburgh, flat anyway, to the all-weather. It is the least characterful for flat racing of the Scottish tracks by a mile – and the relatively recent developments – sorry if I offend the facilities, but concede they are a definite improvement – look as if they were initiated in anticipation of regular, all-weather racing.

Where else in the central belt would there be the appetite, not to mention passing planning consent hurdles, for a new Scottish track? Strategically from Scottish Racing’s viewpoint it would perhaps be best in the south Lanarkshire area…you will likely know more of whether it is viable but I suspect not..

Participant
    • Total Posts 7508

It’s difficult to see any of the existing courses being converted to all-weather. If I were to suggest any site for such a course I’d say the old site of Lanark racecourse would be as good as any. It’s as near as damn it a flat site, about the right size for a mile/mile and a quarter oval and there’s been no significant development since closure.

In the current climate I can’t see anything happening, and my Lanark idea would presumably be seen as pie in the sky anyway. Serious investment would be needed particularly for a new site. More immediate concerns seem to regard the viability of current courses if there is no long-term funding agreement put in place for racing.

Rob

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.