The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

40th anniversary of Shergar winning Epsom Derby -greatest ever win and horse?

Home Forums Horse Racing 40th anniversary of Shergar winning Epsom Derby -greatest ever win and horse?

Viewing 10 posts - 35 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 32901

The point I disagree with is you stating horses run over-seas, because they need to due to being a lower level than horses whom do not. You’ve said thats what you think, I think thats a complete load of nonsense.

No! where did I say that? :unsure:

We were comparing two horses and only two horses, TTC. Not all horses.

Frankel is unique. So outstanding that he was universally (worldwide) recognised as the best racehorse ever and therefore did not need to race in the USA.

Any other racehorse would add to its CV by winning in the USA, not Frankel.

With the Champion coming too soon after the Arc, High Chaparral had to travel in order to win another Group 1. Just like thousands of others.

Value Is Everything
    Avatar photoThe Tatling Cheekily
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

GT if we are dishing the personal advice out, you could try and dial down how patronising you are.

I’ll leave you to it on this one, I completely disagree but I suspect there would be icicles in hell before you would admit to it.

Enjoy the racing.

BUY THE SUN

mickeyjp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1735

My take is that there is no way Frankel was that far ahead of hc and indeed many see seabird and ribot as better than Frankel. Each to their own.As for horses either travelling or not travelling I’m sure sir Henry didn’t want the hassle or the risk of Frankel boiling over. Hc went over to the us im sure to enhance his breeding profile. He certainly proved his toughness which seems essential to be a top stallion which he never got the chance to prove really. El gran senor beats Frankel over a mile imho and had he not gone beyond ten furlongs would have stayed unbeaten. Just my opinion of course.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5683

Gingersnap v Cheekily
    Bit of this ‘n’ that
    Bit of spittle ‘n’ crack
    Levels you devils
    Day three of the Derby Meeting
    Lovely day – In West Cowes
    enjoying a coffee in brilliant sunshine right next to the water.

Avatar photoHe Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5935

Shergar visually was stunning but I’d always raise reference point race , cauthan had to smash him out as others had planned to head him and try and disappoint him , his fractions in the first few furlongs were unbelievable near sprinter stuff , helped of course by one of the best judges of fractions around at that point

Participant
    • Total Posts 32901

At their best Reference Point was of a very similar standard to Shergar, however by the form shown at Epsom Shergar’s Derby performance was much better.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 205

Shergar was one of the great Derby winners. The sight of him pulverising a field by 10 lengths and powering to victory was unforgettable.
    He was spectacular. However, I wouldn’t put him down as the greatest. Slip Anchor, for instance, made every yard and won by seven lengths, with another six lengths back to the third, in a time eight seconds faster than Shergar.
    It’s an argument without a right answer; there are people who will tell you that Sea Bird, Sir Ivor or Nijinsky were peerless.

Participant
    • Total Posts 205

Just to add, by the way… yes it’s always, definitely, The Derby, not the Epsom Derby. But if the articles you read with the latter construction were online, it’s possible the writer was under instruction to refer to the “Epsom Derby” for SEO reasons.
    Well, that’s my excuse anyway…

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1611

Good point Broadsword, though I doubt search engine optimisation will be the reason for many forum posters 😉

It’s “The Derby” to me too, but I really can’t get worked up about anyone calling it the Epsom Derby or indeed the Cazoo Derby. Neither of these names are factually wrong, and this type of nitpicking is unlikely to make more people want to post on the forum.

Avatar photoThe Tatling Cheekily
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

Precisely Marlingford.

BUY THE SUN

Viewing 10 posts - 35 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.