The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

40th anniversary of Shergar winning Epsom Derby -greatest ever win and horse?

Home Forums Horse Racing 40th anniversary of Shergar winning Epsom Derby -greatest ever win and horse?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    harshthakor
    Participant
    • Total Posts 141

Apologize for delay but yesterday we commemorated the 40th anniversary of Shergar’s Epsom Derby win by a staggering margin of 10 lengths,which is unequalled in the history of the Blue Riband.I simply don’t have an adjective to do justice to the absolutely startling performance. .That day Shergar simply traversed regions of immortality as few racehorses ever did,like a manifestation of a divine power.No Derby winner ever displayed such overwhelming superiority over his rivals as Shergar that day who virtually toyed with his rivals,leading a procession.After hitting the front he simply scuttled away ,mowing his rivals like a bunch of daisies or leaves tossed by a gale.Rarely ever in sport have I witnessed rivals treated with such disdain or victory achieved so effortlessly.Shergar was simply like a passenger train that day,revealing invincibility in divinic regions.I just can’t forget the commentary after Shergar hit the front,giving vibrations of a great emperor leading a victory parade.I can’t forget jockey Walter Swinburn’s words “I was simply a passenger on a horse.”

True Shergar did not face the best of rivals with Beldale Flutter absent.He may also have benefited from a collision faced by runner up Glint of Gold with Ribereto ,in the early stages of the race.However if not eased Shergar may even have doubled his margin or won by 15 lengths!It may be hard conceiving a Mill Reef.Nijinsky,Sea the Stars or even Sea Bird equalling such winning margin.Still Shergar did not clock such a fast time,like Nijinsky or Sharastani.Infact it was the slowest time since 1946.

Overall Shergar would rank in the class of the very greatest like Sea Bird,Dancing Brave or Mill Reef but he rarely impressed on the clock and faded out by the time of the St Leger.Arguably like Dancing Brave,he did not stay beyond a distance of a mile and a half.Although he won the King George he did not treat his rivals with the same contempt as Nijinsky or Mill Reef .Nor did he equall the acceleration of Dancing Brave in the closing stages.

How would Shergar have fared in a more competitive era like 1970,1971 or 1986?I have no doubt he would have come out on top.No three year old colt ever blew away his three year old rivals with such ridiculous ease as Shergar in the Chester Vase and the 2 Derbies.Shergar was contrast to Dancing Brave who relished firm going and could not cope with soft ground.It must be stated that Shergar never conquered the class of older horses like Sea Bird ,Mill Reef or Dancing Brave did.

Very hard to asses whether timeform ranking of Shergar of 140 assessed his true merit,as n the ordinary eye It is hard to conceive any colt beating Shergar on Derby day.Anway I hope we all again watch the youtube of Shergar’s win,which illustrates why a thorougbred racehorse can sit with the Gods of Mount Olympus or is a machine .

Tragically he was kidnapped and destroyed in 1983 by the IRA.He may well have been a great stallion like his predecessors.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

Sorry to be pedantic, but for me it’s not the “Epsom” Derby.

It’s not the “English” Derby either – and it certainly isn’t the “Cazoo” Derby, come to that.

It’s “The Derby,” the original and the best and all the others: Irish, Kentucky, whatever – are imitations.

Rating horses causes eternal arguments – it’s not just how far they win but who they beat.

In 1981, the best other colt in the race, Kalaglow, hated the give in the ground and was almost knocked over in scrimmaging at halfway.

Shergar was a marvellous colt, but IMO Sea The Stars and Dancing Brave (who didn’t even win it) were just as good, Mill Reef beat better horses generally speaking and Sea Bird was the best of all for me.

But it depends on your personal criteria for greatness so there is no right or wrong answer.

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

Participant
    • Total Posts 2367

Ian that is very pedantic lol you not had your coffee yet this morning or something?

I’m never quite myself til I hop in the shower lol

harshthakor
    Participant
    • Total Posts 141

What do you attribute Shergar’s slow time to?Weakness of opposition? @IanDavies Overall rate Mill Reef or Dancing Brave ahead?Any better Derby performance ever?

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

I agree with Ian. It is The Derby.
    Earlier this week, I read an article where the writer constantly referred to the “Epsom Oaks”. Which irritated me even more!!

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

Ben, I don’t attribute it to anything – I am like this all the time, I’m afraid, as forumites who have known me online many years would no doubt readily attest!

A coffee sounds a very good idea, though!

Harshthakor – depends on how you define a fast or slow time.

For me, a time can only be fast or slow relative to other times at the track that day.

Comparing Derby times over the years is meaningless IMO – Shergar raced on Good to Soft ground and won ten lengths easing down having gone a good 20 lengths clear.

Plus best Derby win on the day and best Derby winner over its career are two different things.

Slip Anchor recorded an exceptional time figure in 1985 – but never won another race!

Roberto only won a short-head, but went on to be the only horse ever to beat the great Brigadier Gerard – a performance which was no fluke looking at where the rest finished at York but a level to which Roberto had never run to before and never ran to again.

Sea Bird was the best IMO.

Won in a canter and went on to win the Arc in similar fashion.

Then Mill Reef, then Sea The Stars and Dancing Brave (the moral winner in 1986) along Shergar for me.

All great Derby winners.

But it’s all opinions and I am not going to say anyone is right or wrong if they agree or disagree.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2367

Ian don’t worry i certainly didn’t mean it as an insult, I love someone who has a bit of character! It’s what makes the world a fun place, i would hate life if everyone was dull and boring

Avatar photoThe Tatling Cheekily
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

I agree with Harshthakor. The greatest Derby win of all time, and the greatest Derby horse at that time of the season. Sea The Stars would have been trailing behind Shergar in early June.

Personally I go on visual impression – and it was jaw dropping. Much like you could crab the likes of Native Khan behind Frankel in his fantastic Guineas, it is irrelevant to look at whats behind. Just marvel at what is in front.

BUY THE SUN

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

I heard that John Carroll thought he had won the race on Glint of Gold, until he looked up after the line and saw Walter Swinburn and Shergar pulling up away in the distance.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

I believe it was John Matthias, but I heard the exact same story.

I think Glint Of Gold was involved in the scrimmaging with Kalaglow and came from a long way behind.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2367

Speaking of Carrols, I started a new job 18 months ago (no longer work there though) and on my induction day I got chatting to one of the guys about horses, turned out he was Tony Carrols son lol!

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

Correct Ian – I meant John Matthias!

mickeyjp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1735

High chaparrals win is hugely underrated imho. Beat hawk wing who obviously struggled at twelve furlongs but the third I think was 12 lengths away. Troy’s win was superb but probably sea birds for me as the greatest ever. Along with ribot looked fantastic horses although really hard to compare generations.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

Troy’s win was visually astonishing IMO.

He looked in an impossible position coming down Tattenham Hill, but he won going away by seven lengths and three from Dickens Hill (subsequent Eclipse winner) and Northern Baby (subsequent Champion Stakes winner).

Troy himself gave Dickens Hill another pasting at The Curragh, won the King George and then went to York (a race too many in a short space of time?) where he duly won the then Benson & Hedges (International Stakes now).

But like so many summer champions, he failed in the Arc, finishing third to Three Troikas.

A very good Derby winner, IMO, but I use the word “great” very sparingly (lest it lose its dictionary meaning) and would not quite give him that honour.

It’s all about opinions, though.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

I saw Willie Carson interviewed on RTV last year and he said Troy was helped by the leaders going off too fast.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

Much though I liked Troy and, probably like most of us love to see a genuinely-great horse, it did look that way.

Troy didn’t beat Dickens Hill as far at The Curragh and won relatively narrowly at Ascot and York.

A very good – but not great – Derby winner for me.

But it’s all about opinions and every opinion is equally valid.

Avatar photoThe Tatling Cheekily
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

Agree with the High Chapparral point. Brilliant horse who needed to go left handed to run to his optimum.

BUY THE SUN

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.