2019 Grand National

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion 2019 Grand National

This topic contains 247 replies, has 47 voices, and was last updated by Venture to Cognac Venture to Cognac 1 hour, 43 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 248 total)
  • Author
    Red Rum 77
    Red Rum 77
    Participant
    • Total Posts 907

Peter H to be fair to Paul Nicholls he did get it right in 2012, with 2 horses in the top 5 (including the winner).

Neptune Collonges though was in a different league to Black Corton (In My Opinion).
    Having been beaten in 2008 by his 2 stable companions (Denman and Kauto Star) in that year’s Gold Cup, 7 lengths by the winner and a short head by the runner up.

The following year he was fourth beaten by 22 lengths as the first two of the previous year switched places. Exotic Dancer managed to fill third spot.

Black Corton has in my view shown promise otherwise I wouldn’t have picked him for VTC comp, but so far failed to deliver. According to Racing Post he has 2 possible entries before the National, Gold Cup & Ultima Handicap. Don’t know if he’ll take any of them up, but not much hope with him.

Yes I might have a small wager if he turned up on National day (hope he won’t though) but it will be on blind faith alone. :negative:

peter .h
    peter .h
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1112

Paul Nichols has sent genuine class acts to the National, all of whom i seriously fancied and indeed backed.

Neptune Collonges did the business.
    Tidal Bay was very unlucky and got effectively knocked over.
    Silviniaco Conti took a bad bump and was pulled up soon after.

Lemons68
    Lemons68
    Participant
    • Total Posts 321

I really should stick with Abolitionist and Rathvinden just now, but even this far out I’m going to add a third.

With the rain finally arriving, I really hope that it stays for Vintage Clouds, and the fact I can get non runner no bet as well as 5 places, well I think that makes him worth adding at 25-1.

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 14661

Added a couple here.

I just keep going back to Pairofbrowneyes. Took a few quid at treble figures, but the main bet will be NRNB, as if he he runs well tomorrow, I think the price will crumble.

I’ve always had Blow By Blow as a proper “target” horse of Elliots, and it was only his last run that gave me some concern. He runs tomorrow as well, but the mere fact that he got kept in the 5 Days for the NH Chase, suggests all is well. He’s topped up as high as 360’s, and also 66’s NRNB

Red Rum 77
    Red Rum 77
    Participant
    • Total Posts 907

Expecting lots of clues from Cheltenham and Uttoxeter for Aintree. Will let you know my verdict after this week’s action. 🤔

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 810

3 of my antepost selections are running in the same race tomorrow. General Principle, Vintage Clouds, Noble Endeavor.

patriot1
    patriot1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 390

What a fantastic trial for the National from Lake View Lad. I know that Vintage Clouds ran a belter but he had a much harder race.

Red Rum 77
    Red Rum 77
    Participant
    • Total Posts 907

I was impressed by Vintage Clouds, and yes patriot1 I agree that VC had a hard race yesterday but he’s no stranger to marathon races running twice in the Scottish National. In my opinion he would travel up with the pace, but somewhere mid race he would lose his position. Probably because he doesn’t accelerate as quickly as his competitors but he does stay. I don’t know what made the difference yesterday, I had heard he had a wind op but can’t confirm it, anyway yesterday he kept up all the way. Yes Beware The Bear did get the better of him, but Trevor Hemmings is very keen on winning the National for a record fourth time, so both horses will go if they get the chance.

My research shows that horses produce their best races either the race before or two races before the National. I’m confident that Vintage Cloud falls into the former category.

Lake View Lad also produce his career best in that race, but yesterday was the furthest he’d travelled. So you’re taking on trust that he can stay an extra mile and half (or a good part of it :unsure: )

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 810

my assessment of the 3 in the Ultima…

General Principle on at 33s – a P going into the National not ideal.
    Noble Endeavor at 50s – trainer said he needs the run so a sighter before the big one probably.
    Vintage Clouds at 50s – very good.

bozlike
    bozlike
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1650

This Tramore form has started to work out really well. We’ve had a Gold Cup winner and a Thyestes winner in first and third. In the Thyestes, third behind the late Invitation Only was Up For Review, who was absolutely swinging along down the hill in the Ultima before clouting three out, effectively ending his challenge. He’s still 33/1 for this, I reckon he’s probably gone under the radar.

@TomBoardman87
    topweighttom.blogspot.com

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 14661

Mall Dini out tomorrow, and hoping for a bit of encouragement over a trip that’s hardly going to test him.

One horse really impressed me today, and that was Jury Duty. I really like the way he did it, and I’m even more interested in his overall prep.

I’m surprised he didn’t get more attention, and he’s very interesting at 40’s NRNB

atthepost
    Participant
    • Total Posts 198

My GIVE ME A COPPER Bet is down the pan. Connections have pulled him. 😩

I’m really strong on NOBLE ENDEAVOR. 50/1 ew NRNB is a crazy price. Should be 25/1 shot.

18k for me if he wins and just over 1.5k if he places. last Leg on a couple of EW multiplies

Lovely prep run in the ultima. Will come on for the run.

Also gone in again on Monberg Notrious at 80/1 ew NRNB

Good luck all

Nenni
    Nenni
    Participant
    • Total Posts 380

Jury Duty caught my eye yesterday as well. Concern would be whether he can be brought to a peak twice in one season but certainly interesting.

thewexfordman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1071

Bozlike, looking at up for review , you’d think he was a stayer, but watching his runs I have an idea that he may not be a strong enough stayer

bozlike
    bozlike
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1650

I’m not concerned at all at his stamina. He’s looked plenty of times in the past like he’s yearned for a trip, while in the Thyestes, although he finished tired, he was plenty entitled to given he was running off a break. He’ll have stripped fitter for that and his Cheltenham run and tank his way round Aintree :yahoo:

@TomBoardman87
    topweighttom.blogspot.com

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 248 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.