The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2018 County Hurdle

Home Forums Archive Topics Cheltenham Archive Cheltenham 2018 2018 County Hurdle

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16445

I love this race, but no actually that big a betting race for me. Did really well in the “noughties” with this race, but wheels haven’t half come off since. Did have the winner in 2011, when GMOH won, but that was the year that they decided Photo Finishes by pulling names out of a hat. Totally over it now of course.

Bet a couple so far, Mohaayed and Flying Tiger, and fully intend to add a couple more, as NRNB is perfect here, but to be honest, I’m looking at doing a “mini book”

Project Bluebook – Only became of interest after The Greatwood, where I thought he was given an interesting ride. Better ground should see him in a good light, and I think he’ll win a good pot this spring. If not here, then maybe Scottish Champion Hurdle. 33’s NRNB

Bleu Et Rouge – He’s on a tidy mark at the moment, the trainer targets the race, the owner targets the race, and took 20’s NRNB.

Looking at these guys too……

Le Richebourg 33’s
    Whatswrongwithyou 33’s
    Poppy Kay 33’s
    Smaonneamh Alainn 40’s

Pants
    Participant
    • Total Posts 630

VTC, do you think Global Citizen may be handicapped out of this? Very impressive at the weekend, 20/1 available currently with Betfair looks tempting?!

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16445

I don’t know so much Pants. Yeah, he’ll get hammered for it, but he seemed good value for a hike, and I’ve been stung in the past, writing off horses just because they’re getting a big rise.

Chance he might wait for Aintree, but if he was mine I’d give it a go.

Fran the man
    Participant
    • Total Posts 402

Anyone know if Zubayr is an intended runner?

Has dropped to a nice mark of 135 and seems to show his best in spring. Has only ran once at Cheltenham, in the Triumph in 2016 when racing keenly and out wide and finishing near last so a slight worry he’s been kept away from there since, or could it be coincidental?

He ran well off 138 to finish 2nd in the Scottish Champion hurdle last spring and in the Swinton off 142 he was a creditable 5th. He’s had 2 hurdle runs since one of which had an inexperienced rider on and he’s managed to get dropped 7lb to his lowest ever mark.

Meanwhile he’s been active on the all weather and after winning his maiden and afforded a mark of 83 has progressed to a mark of 90. He’s still only 6 and i think it’s fair to suspect he won’t be rated 135 come the seasons end :yes:

KevMc
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1255

Nicholls has said Zubayr is going Martin Pipe, FTM.

Global Citizen raised 19!lbs to 149, going straight to Aintree for the grade 1 novice.

PigsInBlankets
    Participant
    • Total Posts 78

FTM – I’m in agreement, it is that Triumph run that is the concern, but certainly seems to give his best in the Spring. The run in the Aintree handicap was strong form on paper, but when you see the mistake at the last you realise that it’s potentially better than it reads, seemed to be travelling best on the inside up to that stage.

My fancies at this stage come from over the water, and both in their first or second seasons over hurdles – Meri Devie & Early Doors – both available at around 20/1 NRNB. Not bet either of them yet, the latter’s relative inexperience in big field handicaps is the chief concern.

jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3014

Pigs—I’ve seen people mentioning Merie Devie for this. I wouldnt be as sweet on her back over 2miles. Think shes better over further

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

KevMc
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1255

Duca De Thaix & Ivanovich Gorbatov the two that I’m looking forward to seeing marks for tomorrow. DDT especially.

Lemons68
    Participant
    • Total Posts 499

Fran, I always bet Zubayr, I will do again in a fortnight. I bet him in that Scottish Champion Hurdle and still can’t believe he didn’t win.

I hope it’s The Martin Pipe for him as I like the horse that beat him at Ayr, Chesterfield. I haven’t went yet, but 40-1 looks a big price on his form in the spring.

One horse I have bet is Mohaayed at 33-1 ew, non runner no bet. I’ve discussed him a few times this year. He ran well in it last year, and he is my first bet in this

CharlesOlney
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2049

Just had a look at the weights and not a whole lot really jumps out at you. Max Dynamite will probably run here and looks to have an awfully big chance but he’s priced up accordingly and one you could get away with holding on to and waiting until final decs. At the prices, Gwafa at 50/1 (Corals) looks tempting as he came back to form on the all-weather 2 weeks ago and still looks well weighted but I don’t know if this is the plan or whether connections will wait until April for a Scottish Champion Hurdle double-bid.

A hold-fire race in my opinion.

Nausered
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 593

WPM’s Duc Des Genievres for me in this. 16-1 NRNB, I really hope he turns up here. If you watch his second to Samcro last time… He makes eye catching head way down the back straight, to go from last place, to sitting on Samcro’s tail in 4th. As the leaders kick, he then gets outpaced, dropping to near last again… Then he runs on through the field, to finish a clear second beaten 5 lengths. It was a strange run, the big effort Noel asked him for down the back straight, ovb had a big effect on him. I loved the way he really stayed on that day though, after that big mid race effort, where he jumped very slickly when asked to make up ground. By a full brother to Big Bucks, he looks like he has an action that may well improve on better ground to me. Off 148,if he heads here, he will be a big player. A very strongly run 2M race is going to suit him down to the ground.

He does have multiple lofty entries in nigh on everything, but with NRNB, I thought he was well worth a punt to turn up in this.

PigsInBlankets
    Participant
    • Total Posts 78

Jack – embarrassingly I’ve put my selections in for the wrong race here, first of many facepalm moments to come over the next 2 and a bit weeks I’m sure. This is early though even for me! Those are my fancies for the Martin Pipe which is indeed over 2 and a half.

Vautour
    Participant
    • Total Posts 707

I dont think he will go here, Nausered. I think they are gonna go down the Albert Bartlett Route. The one comment they made about his race with Samcro was that Noel said he wanted further.

Nausered
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 593

Thanks Vautour. I’d love to see him line up in the County, or maybe the Coral Cup. I’m off to back him at 14’s for that. Nothing to lose with NRNB I suppose.

thewexfordman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1103

Voix du reve carrying 10st 12 would really interest me. That’s a mark of 142, and his Irish mark was 144.
    Looked the winner of the Fred winter of 2016 only for the fall at the last, and stays further than 2 miles which I think is needed to win the county hurdle. The only downside I see is that he is still a maiden. Probably the highest rated maiden hurdler in training?
    Max dynamite has 10st 11 so that’s also a very Nice weight. I’d be interested in him in any of the coral, county or martin pipe

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.