The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Grand National 2015

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Grand National 2015

Viewing 17 posts - 154 through 170 (of 321 total)
  • Author
    jimmy gimini
    Participant
    • Total Posts 492

Godsmejudge has been pulled out of a few prep races now, not sure Alan King has him ready or not :unsure: will only run godsmejudge if 100%
    He takes to any ground, great jumper, prominent runner, great stayer, good weight, switches on in spring time what’s not to like?

fivelongdays
    Participant
    • Total Posts 693

I’ve been pretty good this year – I promised myself I wouldn’t go as early as I have previously and, apart from an Antepost bet on Back In Focus (who I am gutted for) I’ve kept my powder dry until after Cheltenham.

However, I have had to cave in and have a bet on Prince De Beauchene, a horse I’ve always fancied for this, even if he’s got injured and ran averagely before.

When’s the next withdrawal stage?

Twitter=@PGHenn

So don't run, just like the others always do

Participant
    • Total Posts 13253

After an abysmal Cheltenham, where you really know what you should be backing but
    try to be too smart by half and end up completely stuffed, I’m hoping the National
    is a bit kinder to me. Normally Cheltenham is the one meeting which is good to me,
    and I die a death at the National, so hoping that the trend is reversing, I should
    be quids come 11th April.

I’m having a go at three…..
    Teaforthree
    Monbeg Dude
    Night In Milan

The first two are pretty obvious National type horses. Teaforthree was all the rage
    two years ago at 10-1, and ran a cracking race to be third off 151. He was still well
    fancied last year, jf at 10-1, when running well and in touch when unseating at the Chair (15th)
    off a mark of 149. He comes for a third crack at it off a mark off 144 and seems in decent
    enough form. This has obviously been the target, so I don’t understand why with a lot in
    his favour, he is still 33s with Ladbrokes and Hills. He may be 11 yrs old now, but that
    is not any drawback in a race like the National. Only problem is both Ladrokes and Hills are
    first 4 a place, I wonder if that price will still be there when they go first 5?

Monbeg Dude is again an easy one to put up, he loves marathons and ran a good enough race last
    year finishing 7th, after making a few mistakes which he will need to not repeat if he is to improve
    on that, but with a good run he is a no brainer at 33-1 with just about everybody. I’m holding
    off in case someone chances going 40-1, but will bet him as soon as the 33s starts to go.

I did fancy Night In Milan, although reading through the previous posts it has placed more
    than a little doubt in my mind. He is still 50s so I don’t have to risk too much to make it
    a worthwhile bet, so even with the reservations put about by better judges than me, I’d kick
    myself if he was placed or heaven forbid wins, and I’d changed my mind.

Good luck to all, I think the National has become more of a lottery than it was, owing to the
    changes (not all good in my mind) over the past few years.

Participant
    • Total Posts 11

I know he is nearly older that the race course itself, but anyone else like me considering have a couple of EW quid on Oscar Time? Goes against all age trends but has run well there before and won there this season??

No, just me??! Ok then, as u were. :whistle:

• Total Posts 15019

Don’t think it’s the craziest shout Ollie, certainly a better chance than some of the ones I’ve bet.

Ok, maybe doesn’t have age on his side, and up a few pounds for his Becher win, so you’d be worried about him being vulnerable to a younger horse………….well 39 younger horses, but he will have Waley-Cohen up, who rides the track very well.

Can’t see him winning, but who knows, could sneak a place………..good luck

• Total Posts 15019

Good to see you back G, not seen you on for a while. Frustrating Cheltenham for me too, Cause of Causes paid for the week, but it was badly needed, and the 3 seconds I had on the Friday, Djakadam, Noble Endeavour, and Eastlake still give me nightmares haha……….in fact that ride by Carberry on Eastlake will give me nightmares for a long time yet haha. He really is so past it.

Anyway, back to Aintree, and I’m hoping for a better time of it. I think Teaforthree has a live chance, and he’s still a very backable price.

They’re doing tests on Monbeg Dude, to see if they can work out the reason for his poor run at The Festival. They’re hoping he didn’t take to the tongue strap, and if all ok, he’ll still be on target.

I’ve bet Night In Milan as well, but main hope is Cause of Causes.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1709

Roi Du Mee has been cut by most firms after winning yesterday. Okay it was a 3 runner affair, but as each day passes i’m becoming sweeter and sweeter on his chances. If the top weights stand their ground then he’s surely weighted to go close?

Got my EW bet on at 80’s with Ladbrokes (who now go 33’s) so i’m rather chuffed! Got 160’s on Betfair too, so happy days!

Red Rum 77
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4786

[quote=845339]I know he is nearly older that the race course itself, but anyone else like me considering have a couple of EW quid on Oscar Time? Goes against all age trends but has run well there before and won there this season??

No, just me??! Ok then, as u were. :whistle:
    [/quote]

I’m fancying the other side of the age range, the hasn’t been a winning seven year old since 1940

CAUSE OF CAUSE & BROADWAY BUFFALO ran a strong race at CHELTENHAM
    and UNIONISTE ran extremely good behind the future Gold Cup winner at NEWBURY.

BROADWAY BUFFALO might struggle to get in and UNIONISTE weight could tell in the end, but CAUSE OF CAUSES is nicely weighted and GORDON won before with SILVER BIRCH.

:bye:

The best things in life are free.
    But you can give them to the birds and bees.

Participant
    • Total Posts 13253

Thanks VTC, it’s nice to be back…I’ve not had the best of years, but with my wind operation and tongue tie I should be ready for the rest of the season :good:
    Your Cheltenham sounds a bit like mine and I can understand you being a bit miffed with Mr Carberry on Eastlake, I know he likes the waiting game but he surely had to press the button earlier, and in particular when he came to the last when he should have gone for the fence instead of taking a pull….that gave him no chance of catching the winner.

I hope Teaforthree doesn’t turn into a National talking horse, he’s been so well fancied in the past couple of years. He does have the right credentials, maybe he just needs a touch of luck…..as do I.

I’m hoping Monbeg Dude just had a bad day at the office at Cheltenham, I think he is suited to Aintree and carrying a couple of pounds less than last year perhaps he can improve on 7th, he’s got to be worth an e/w first 5, or if some enterprising bookie goes for a 6th place.

Like you, I have reservations about Night In Milan, but having picked him out I’m scared to wobble a bit now and desert him just in case.

I’ll probably end up with the three showing PU,UR and F.

Nonetheless I’m still looking forward to the race, even if it’s not quite the National of old. Good luck to you, and all the old faces that I am glad to see are still here, and keeping this the best racing forum on the go.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

I’ve backed Roi du Mee at 125/1! The downside being that I only put 10 pence ew on him. Could this be the long searched for 100/1 winner at last! I’m still keen on Saint Are who is my ‘gut horse’ even though I don’t usually like horses that have failed in the race in the past.

• Total Posts 15019

74 left, with the following horses withdrawn

Carlingford Lough
    Rolling Aces
    Alderwood
    Boston Bob
    Shotgun Paddy
    Theatrical Star
    Roi Du Mee
    Katenko
    Living Next Door
    Make A Track
    Prince de Beauchene
    Cedre Bleu
    Buddy Bolero

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Many Clouds was seemingly rated a 50/50 chance to run in the race by Trainer Oliver Sherwood a few days ago. The writer of the article I read, said that he felt the truth of it was that it was more likely that he was going to miss the race.

Many Clouds was a 40/1 and 50/1 shot in one place on the back of that, but today he is a best priced 33/1 with 25/1 in some places. Has there been a change of heart by connections?

If he does line up I can’t have him any bigger than 16/1 in my book. Obviously I hope he runs, having taken the bigger odds a fair while back.

Obviously delighted to have Rocky Creek at 33/1 but Night Of Milan at 50/1 hasn’t done what I expected and he’s a horse I just can’t see being involved now.

If Many Clouds runs, I won’t have another bet on the race and will be delighted that all three of my early picks have made it to the race for a change.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

T43 now out, just as I was beginning to warm to him. I’m still not keen on 8 year olds running so another year for Many Clouds might not be a bad thing; it’s not as if his weight will go up a great deal next year. Having said that Mr Hemmings will want a horse in the race…is the Sue Smoth horse still in it ?

• Total Posts 15019

Think you’ve hit the nail on the head moe, Hemmings will want a runner, and that should be enough to see Many Clouds line up, even though Sherwood didn’t sound keen.

Vintage Star is still entered, but he needs a lot of defectors to make it.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Many Clouds is said to be running in The Grand National.

Apparently it’s a “team decision” and the horse was always likely to be a Grand National horse one day. I suspect the “teamwork” here was Trevor Hemmings talking and Oliver Sherwood harmoniously listening with impeccable timing.

Anyway, the horse looks overpriced at 33/1 to my eyes and you don’t have to be a mathematician to calculate that Shutthefrontdoor at a quarter of the odds is Rank Hovis Ted McDougal value in comparison. Spring Heeled, whose trainer hasn’t had a winner since Noah was in short trousers, looks crazy at as low as 16/1.

I’m a happy bunny anyway. Happy Easter

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

• Total Posts 15019

Surprised that 33’s on Many Clouds is still holding steady with a few firms.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1709

Gutted with Roi Du Mee’s withdrawal. And am not convinced Any Currency or Soll will make the cut. I’m even unsure Duke Of Lucca’s chances of making the cut :wacko:

I might need to dip into my bag of tricks for a backup or two… right now Saint Are and Rainbow Hunter are being considered…

Viewing 17 posts - 154 through 170 (of 321 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.