The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Grand National 2014

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Grand National 2014

Viewing 17 posts - 188 through 204 (of 415 total)
  • Author
    samj89
    Participant
    • Total Posts 708

I have a question how many horses have not made the cut initially and gone on to win?

Participant
    • Total Posts 1704

I have a question how many horses have not made the cut initially and gone on to win?

Are we talking reserves or horses who were out of the top 40 when the weights are announced?

Because to my knowledge i don’t believe any reserve has won the race since they were brought in some 6/7 years ago…?

Auroras Encore last year was a long way out the top 40 at first last year. So much so i stopped backing him once the weights were announced :( I didn’t think he’d make it.

Or are we looking at horses who didn’t make the 40 one year, then win it the next? Because Amberleigh House famously missed the cut in 2002 before taking it in ’04. I don’t think Ginger ever got over it :lol: Rightfully so, frankly!

samj89
    Participant
    • Total Posts 708

Just horses out of the top 40 but getting in
    Sam

• Total Posts 14971

Sam, still no sure what you’re asking. As Peter said, do you mean the top 40 from when the initial weights were published?

samj89
    Participant
    • Total Posts 708

Sorry guys yes the top 40 In the weights

• Total Posts 14971

sam, since the 90’s, I think……

99 Bobbyjo
    03 Montys Pass
    07 Silver Birch
    08 Comply Or Die
    13 Auroras Encore

Truman31
    • Total Posts 22

Morning All,

Do we think Wyck Hill will get in. I have just had a positive comment on him but at 9-10 I don’t think there is a chance he will get in??

Thanks in advance

• Total Posts 14971

Next to no chance on previous years stats Truman, but you never know. Best hope would be for bottomless ground taking out a large number of entries!

Participant
    • Total Posts 1704

I backed Pineau de Re yesterday. Has won over a trip and seems to stay on in his races. Although probably more aimed at a nice little hurdle race next week. Was a decent horse in his youth and I did say I’d follow the trainer this year. Other than that the race is still boggling my mind [and should be concentrating on Cheltenham].

You’d be very encouraged if they give him the go ahead after his efforts in the Pertemps. Looks a very interesting shout at 50’s…

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9289

Typical; I forgot to back PdR in the ‘nice little hurdle race’. Yet another senior moment [although, thankfully the S.O. spotted him and had an ew].

Participant
    • Total Posts 2232

on his own now likely to go to punchestown rather then the national, which may be to soon after a hard race

vf

Participant
    • Total Posts 2232

thanks for the info

vf

BeauRanger
    Participant
    • Total Posts 379

my pick the rainbow hunter is still in ? am in at 110 & 130’s as well as 40’s and is a plot for me.

edit .. and he will probably get injured or something .. but has made it this far.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9289

Sorry to have to break the bad news to you but he has no chance cause I’ve backed him and I’m having my worst season ever.

BeauRanger
    Participant
    • Total Posts 379

law of averages ? :roll:

luck has to turn at some point 8) edited a bit the post above but u know where im coming from

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9289

…..dream on… :cry:

• Total Posts 790

Made the mistake a few years ago not backing the best horse in the race ‘Neptune Collognes’.

Having beaten Kauto and Denman to the Gold Cup crown surely

Long Run

qualifies as the best horse in the race this year? A lot of the attention was on the latter two mentioned on that particular Gold Cup day and he kind of spoiled the party, the more the days tick on I get the feeling he could do the same again in April.

20/1 sounds good to me.

Viewing 17 posts - 188 through 204 (of 415 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.