The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Grand National 2013

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Grand National 2013

Viewing 17 posts - 205 through 221 (of 371 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 15020

Looks like Prince De Beauchene is a non runner, with stress fracture.

honeysdad
    Participant
    • Total Posts 168

they certainly are dropping out this year ill say 32

vf

HMM i was tempted to put 32 but thought i’d be optimistic :)

Participant
    • Total Posts 1708

I’ve got to believe there’ll be 40. Those at the bottom of the handicap tend to pull out assuming they have no chance of getting in, whereas this year even the bottom weight could just scrape in. I won’t go so far as to say there will be 4 reserves however.

Participant
    • Total Posts 862

Well PDB out too now.

100+ on the machine.

Lee

Participant
    • Total Posts 1708

Looks like Prince De Beauchene is a non runner, with stress fracture.

Bloody hell, the Wylie’s can’t catch a break can they? Looked like sending out the first three in the market at one point. Now only left with one.

honeysdad
    Participant
    • Total Posts 168

I’ve got to believe there’ll be 40. Those at the bottom of the handicap tend to pull out assuming they have no chance of getting in, whereas this year even the bottom weight could just scrape in. I won’t go so far as to say there will be 4 reserves however.

I don’t think you will find too any dropping out at the bottom unless they are injured Pete ,they get their entry money back if eliminated.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2271

yes priince de beachene is out

vf

Participant
    • Total Posts 2271

updated PDB removed

vf

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

With Beshabar out and Poker De Sivola struggling to get his ground or even get into the race, my new selection is

Chicago Grey

He is well-handicapped on his best form, stays (won the four-miler) and was unluckily wiped out last year. I need to watch the race again to see how he was handling the fences until that point but am quite keen. Gordon Elliot is adept at training horses for this race.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Chicago Grey

He is well-handicapped on his best form, stays (won the four-miler) and was unluckily wiped out last year. I need to watch the race again to see how he was handling the fences until that point but am quite keen. Gordon Elliot is adept at training horses for this race.

I’ve seen quite a few tips for Chicago Grey over the past couple of weeks but I cannot fancy him at all. He only got as far as the 5th last year so it’s hard to say how he took to the fences. Outside of that though, his form over the past two years has been shocking really. A win at big odds on heavy going in a small field last time is the only semblance of form he brings to the race. Since going off 11/2 favourite for the Scottish Grand National in 2011 he has run in eleven races, including that one, failing to complete on three occasions and been beaten a total of 264 Lengths in the eight races he completed. That’s pretty dismal form and although Mon Mome won after being beaten a million miles previously, he was 100/1 while Chicago Grey is sitting at 12/1 with some firms. When you consider that Cappa Bleu was 4th last year, ran a great trial and is available at the same odds it makes you realise that there are many more mysteries for man to resolve before we consider the meaning of life. ps He’s grey as well

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

Don’t you think these poor runs (apart from the Scottish National I suppose) can be put down to the horse being nursed through the season with Aintree in mind?

It seems notable to me that his best performance in the period you mention came after the Aintree weights had been published. I think Gordon Elliot is known as a wily trainer capable of plotting such a preparation.

My main worry is jumping though. He jumped the first five ok last year, but that is not much to go on, as you say. He has had a couple of mishaps with regulation fences which make me worry that he could be the type to suffer from poor concentration.

• Total Posts 15020

To be fair to Chicago, he was definitely brought down last year, rather than falling himself!

Participant
    • Total Posts 2271

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/horse-racing/21849158

lion na bernaia now only 50/50 to run

on the chicago grey topic he was brought down last year so wasn;t his fault

vf

msercs
    Participant
    • Total Posts 163

Having re watched last years race I am convinced Swing Bill is going to run a stormer. A horse fell right in front of him at the chair and he still found his feet and kept galloping on. As the only Pipe runner hoping Timmy Murphy takes the ride and at 80/1 6 places NRNB with Bet Victor that is a great EW bet.

Also Denis O Regan confirmed to ride Big Fella Thanks so another for my list!

Martin

honeysdad
    Participant
    • Total Posts 168

I think Quel Esprit has to be the most overpriced runner at the moment

Participant
    • Total Posts 2271

torfino bay and Wyck Hill are out

vf

Participant
    • Total Posts 2271

torfino bay and Wyck Hill removed

vf

Viewing 17 posts - 205 through 221 (of 371 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.