The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Grand National 2013

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Grand National 2013

Viewing 17 posts - 188 through 204 (of 371 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1708

Using my fool proof criteria i have managed to narrow the field down to 14. Suspiciously small compared to previous years. But if the last 19 years are anything to go by; the winner is in this list…

Big Fella Thanks
    Roberto Goldback
    Ballabriggs
    Teaforthree
    Across The Bay
    Forpadydeplasterer
    Joncol
    Bostons Angel
    Chicago Grey
    Rare Bob
    The Rainbow Hunter
    Tarquinius
    Romanesco
    Viking Blond

Of the lot of them; Roberto Goldback and Bostons Angel are the ones that appeal to me, obviously since i’ve been bringing them up for the last 2 months :lol:

Joncol could also be a very interesting case. I was never all that keen on the horse, but the National might just be his race. Reminds me a lot of Killyglen. Never really liked him, but seems to tick all the right boxes.

Just about all outsiders bar one or two. Expect another big priced winner!

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

My 4 I have

Chicago Grey
    On His Own
    Teaforthree
    Quel Esprit

The two Navan runs (On His Own, Chicago Grey) just stood out for me, looked very impressive, both won yet both had something to work on.

Teaforthree that Haydock run was beyond awful, so awful in fact I thought he should have been 100/1 after the race, surely something was a miss there, otherwise that 6th in the Hennessey, 2nd to Monbeg Dude, 4m Cheltenham winner, hopefully was just having a run a round a Haydock and I will give him a 2nd chance.

Quel Esprit was a tip to be honest, although should go well if he retains some of his class. Hopefully a Neptune Collonges mk II.

The best bet was 5/4 with Hills, for winner to carry 11st or more, sadly they caught on and is now 8/11.

Participant
    • Total Posts 139

Anybody know if Imperial Commander is likely to run?

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

Dispute between trainer and owners at the minute, one wanting to go Bowl, other The National. We shall see who prevails.

Participant
    • Total Posts 139

Thanks JJM

Participant
    • Total Posts 18

Teaforthree certainly looks to have the stamina for it based on his Welsh National run and Cheltenham win, I’ll forgive him some of his other showings – I think they’ll have him right for the National so he’s my pick.

http:///www.grand-national-race.co.uk

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

Think there’s a strong chance this could be a Heavy ground Grand National.

Snow and cold weather followed by a thaw and some rain. At best it’s going to be dead ground.

dannymc1309
    • Total Posts 27

If the ground is indeed Heavy, which horses specifically is it likely to suit/not suit?

I have 4 ante-post in Cappa Bleu/Colbert Station/Chicago Grey/Beshabar

Changed my mind last minute on Tofino Bay and Teaforthree!

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

Danny, heavy ground will NOT suit Big Fella Thanks, Beshabar, Poker De Sivola or Saint Are. Paul Nicholls asserts that Join Together prefers good ground too.

The course does drain quickly, so I think there is still a little hope for those horses if the weather picks up.

Participant
    • Total Posts 862

When the weights first came out the handful that immediately sprung to mind where Wyck Hill, On His Own, Tidal Bay, Join Together & Prince De Beauchene.

After Nicholls confirmed Tidal Bay was going for the race I placed my first ante post bet and remain convinced that with luck in running he’d have gone extremely close.

Since his unfortunate withdrawal I’ve had to look again and Wyck Hill’s injury is worrying and even if he makes it there I’m no longer convinced given that he did seem to have the race go his way at Ascot and was possibly flattered to beat Katenko before Venetia had really got to work on that horse, given it was his first run over fences for the yard.

Having said that if he turns up I’ll possibly have a small saver on him if the ground is riding slow – as I am fully expecting (regardless of Aintree’s quick drying ground) due to rain forecast and no warm weather or noticeable winds on the horizon.

On His Own had slight stamina reservations last year but was clearly going well enough at Bechers second time around and while his jumping still isn’t foot perfect, with a clear round he has to have a chance and I’ve thrown a free £20 from Coral that I bagged over the Cheltenham festival on him @ 9/1.

Join Together was hugely dissappointing last time out, as he was 2 runs prior and while he caught the eye staying on well in the Becher he’s now been pulled up 3 times in the past 2 years and I couldn’t back him with confidence.

Good as he is my worry for Prince De Beauchene is that he’s going to end up with a big weight (he’s already on 11-7) and while there seems to have been a slight shift towards the 11st+ horse recently if the ground is testing, 4.5 miles is a long way to lump that sort of burden.

For that reason I’ve looked at horses just hovering below the 11st mark and the more I consider Cappa Bleu the more I like him. He looks like he was ridden to get the trip last year and after appearing ever so slightly outpaced turning for home he then stayed on best of all at the death. He’ll like slow ground (but wouldn’t be inconvenienced if it dried out a bit based on last year’s effort) and given that he’s been dropped 2lb and proved his wellbeing LTO with a cracking effort over a trip too short he like On His Own looks definite shortlist material – I’ve put the 2nd of my 3 free Coral £20s on him as another saver.

I say "saver" as the one horse I’ve been slightly and inexplicably drawn to is Chicago Grey – who carries the final free £20 plus another few ante post bets with my own cash. There is just something that I really fancy about this horse this year. Hopefully Carberry will be on board and if he manages to avoid trouble, given that he tends to be switched off early then he could make light of a mark 10lb below his best.

My concern would be that he’s another who has good and bad days, none more so than when he won the 4 miler at Cheltenham in 2011 (beating Besahabar into second) only to finish 50L behind the same horse a month later at Ayr but on their current ratings he is IMO the one horse who, if they all ran to their best form and weights considered, would win.

so…

1. Chicago Grey
    2. On His Own
    3. Cappa Bleu

are my idea of the first 3, with possibly Prince De Beauchene filling 4th place.

FWIW Seabass had everything go right last year but wasn’t quite good enough and he has more weight this time around and I have stamina doubts about Colbert Station.

Lee

harvey2000
    • Total Posts 133

I know it’s anybody’s guess at the moment, but what will the going be like? Normally decent ground at Aintree, but a couple of my fancies are good ground dependent, and given the freak weather we’ve had, could it be a bog come next Saturday?

Participant
    • Total Posts 862

BetVictor now going 1/4 odds 6 places (NRNB) from 1:00 pm today.

Doesn’t get much fairer than that.

Lee

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

Beshabar

OUT

due to heat in a leg. It’s back to the drawing board for me then.

honeysdad
    Participant
    • Total Posts 168

Just a bit of fun how many do you all think will turn up on the day ?

I will start : 35

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

I think there will be 40 – fingers crossed!

Participant
    • Total Posts 2271

they certainly are dropping out this year ill say 32

vf

Participant
    • Total Posts 2271

beshebar removed ruled out through injury, found to have heat in leg, 5 day forfiet stage on monday

vf

Viewing 17 posts - 188 through 204 (of 371 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.