The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Grand National 2013

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Grand National 2013

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 371 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 15020

With the Welsh equivalent just over a week away, what’s peoples thoughts on this seasons winner at Aintree? Probably be a few more clues after Chepstow anyway.

I’ve bet a few for it already, but haven’t really settled on a main selection yet. Got about a dozen on the go on Betfair, but after previous no shows in this Ante-Post, haven’t gone as nuts as previous years.

With all the talk of Hello Bud after his excellent win in The Becher, Join Togethers run was somewhat overlooked, he could be very nicely treated come April. Thought that was a very decent run.

Of the favourites, Seabass, and On His Own haven’t been seen yet, and with no word on them, may be the case that connections have them wrapped up in cotton wool. Particularly interested in seeing Seabass back out.

Solihull
    Participant
    • Total Posts 38

What do people think about Long Run going for the Grand National. I know he makes mistakes but he does seem to stay really well. The aintree fences are what they used to be, though they do still take some jumping. I just think that he would perhaps be more suited to the national. Also do you think he needs a change of jockey? I know it probably won’t happen with his dad as owner. Though if he did go for the national Sam Waley Cohen does have a good record round aintree.

Solihull
    Participant
    • Total Posts 38

Sorry meant to say the national fences are NOT what they used to be. Sorry for the mistake.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

I doubt he’d survive past the Canal first time. He cannot bend his back properly (has always dragged his hind legs through fences under pressure).

Participant
    • Total Posts 1533

What do people think about Long Run going for the Grand National. I know he makes mistakes but he does seem to stay really well. The aintree fences are what they used to be, though they do still take some jumping. I just think that he would perhaps be more suited to the national. Also do you think he needs a change of jockey? I know it probably won’t happen with his dad as owner. Though if he did go for the national Sam Waley Cohen does have a good record round aintree.

Not a lot. :mrgreen:

I don’t think he’ll ever get the chance too.

Denman when he was running would have been ideal, IMO

Participant
    • Total Posts 1658

No chance in hell.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2044

I’d love to see Long Run take on the National fences, as i would for any great horse.

Very unlikely to happen though as the owner has other options for the race, one being the recently purchased Frisco Depot trained by Charlie Longsdon.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32979

Hope it doesn’t happen, Long Run doesn’t jump well enough. Henderson knows that, and when asked that exact question said he definitely won’t run.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 16951

Defintely No…
    He’s not the type and no horse has ever won the Gold Cup and the Grand National in almost 80 years since Golden Miller way back in 1934 and the fences were different then, most fallers would run out, now they run on and interfere with other runners and worst of all fall again and fatally injure themselves.
    The race is much too fast now and any mistake could be fatal. We’ve lost too many good horses in the Grand National, I was hoping against hope that connections of Synchronised would see sense last year and now we have lost him :( and how we are missing him this year and at Cheltenham 2013 when he would probably have brought home another Gold Cup and more and we know how hard it hit the yard and all connected with him.
    Glad to read from GT above that connections of Long Run are thinking along the same lines and not even considering it.

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

I don’t think Long Run would be completely hopeless in the race if he got in on reasonable terms and wasn’t burned out from Cheltenham. Fellow idiosyncratic jumper Tidal Bay negotiated the Aintree fences fairly safely despite not being keen to bend his back.

Also, Sam Waley-Cohen is as good a jockey at completing the Grand National course as almost anyone. You never know…

• Total Posts 469

I hope not, in fact I hope the grand national dies off when john smiths sponsorship ends. Its continued existence threatens the whole of NH racing.

ArkleSupreme
    • Total Posts 62

A ridiculous comment, aji !

All true Horse Racing enthusiasts love the Grand National and many become interested in the Sport itself because of this amazing spectacle,admittedly it is half the spectacle it was before,understandably for safety reasons,but,nonetheless,the whole World watches it and envies this amazing British institution !

As for Long Run,he is only turning 8 so does have time on his side and maybe the Waley Cohen’s might fancy a crack at it….Garrison Savannah was the last Gold Cup winner to go close to winning it in 1991 and Long Run would have every chance too,granted a clear round.

Denman would certainly have gone for it had he not had his debilitating heart problems and there is every chance he could have won it,even with top weight.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

You tell ’em ArkleSupreme. The Grand National played a big part in getting me interested in racing. One of my earliest memories of the sport is cheering home Call It A Day in Bobbyjo’s year.

ArkleSupreme
    • Total Posts 62

Same here,The Young Fella, and the first race I ever recall seeing on TV was the 1961 race,as a mere 6 year old, when I picked the grey horse,Nicolaus Silver,my 8 years older brother is Nicholas,and my father backed it and it won at 28/1 !!

Great memories of all the races since then also,the greatest race for most being the 1973 race where the gallant front-running Crisp was caught by Red Rum in the shadows of the post having been almost a fence clear at one stage,carrying top weight of 12 stone and conceding 19lbs to the National legend, who won the race three times and was second twice,carrying 12 stone himself to win in 1974 !

• Total Posts 469

A ridiculous comment, aji !

All true Horse Racing enthusiasts love the Grand National and many become interested in the Sport itself because of this amazing spectacle,admittedly it is half the spectacle it was before,understandably for safety reasons,but,nonetheless,the whole World watches it and envies this amazing British institution !

I must be a pretend horse racing enthusiast then.
    I agree some become interested in the sport because of the national, however I think you will find many are turned off the sport because of the fatalities because they think ALL horse racing is like this.

I assume the tone of this paragraph was mainly to get a reaction.

ArkleSupreme
    • Total Posts 62

Please stop meandering to the press over-hype about the Grand National.

There are fatalities in Horse Racing throughout the year,whether it be at Festival meetings,day to day affairs,and not just confined to NH racing as the Flat has it’s fair share too,and several horses are sadly lost on the gallops without any race being involved even !

Unfortunately,such is life…and ONE race should never be highlighted as the main cause of it all !

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

Same here,The Young Fella, and the first race I ever recall seeing on TV was the 1961 race,as a mere 6 year old, when I picked the grey horse,Nicolaus Silver,my 8 years older brother is Nicholas,and my father backed it and it won at 28/1 !!

Great memories of all the races since then also,the greatest race for most being the 1973 race where the gallant front-running Crisp was caught by Red Rum in the shadows of the post having been almost a fence clear at one stage,carrying top weight of 12 stone and conceding 19lbs to the National legend, who won the race three times and was second twice,carrying 12 stone himself to win in 1974 !

Crisp was conceding 23lbs. Track record was broken by 20 seconds. 40th anniversary of that run in April. Makes me feel old!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 371 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.