The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Ascot Gold Cup 2009

Home Forums Archive Topics Royal Ascot Archive Royal Ascot 2014 Ascot Gold Cup 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Well we’ve been here before with a certain horse called Persian Punch. Was fine between 2m and 2m 2f but time after time went to the Gold Cup and didn’t stay.

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Well Patkai didn’t have the speed to win a 1m6f, he is a good horse on his day though and an Ascot GD/FM 2m4f win would not be out the question for me, obviously there are better contenders on paper but you cant rule him out however I wouldn’t touch him at his odds.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

I can think of another horse, Hindu Kush handles all ground and stays all day. After his brilliant staying performance in the St Leger I said to myself "Ascot Gold Cup horse".

There"s more chance of him running in the "Pitmans Derby" than the Gold Cup Bul, he would probably get top weight mind, but being trained by the
    "Sprint King" it could be a pipe opener for the Ayr Gold Cup!

More words of wisdom from TAPK

Patkai got stuffed and Hindu Kush just put up a great staying performance to beat the odds on Alandi.

Nice one Bully 50/1 and his odds have halved with some bookies, must have decent chance of running in the Gold Cup now if they think he’ll get the trip.

I think he may have to be ridden differently at ascot, still at a loss to explain why he went so badly in the chester cup. Only thing I can think of is that he hit the front too soon with a big weight. He was definitely impressive yesterday and I think Alandi isnt a bad animal either. A very encouraging performance.

At the same time as I thought Patkai proved how overhyped he was last night. Whay he was ever 4-1 etc was always beyond me.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Aiden O’Brien has apparantly said Yeats will run and has said he’s very happy with him. That 4/1 is begining to look huge now.

Considering he hammered Geordieland last year and Patkai was soundly beaten by him if Yeats is back on track he must have a great chance.

I fail to undertsand why Patkai hasn’t drifted. Perhaps the bookies think because of the way Geordieland stopped last year Patkai has a better chance over the longer trip. Yet if anything he was the one you looked to have run out of stamina last time.

Jamie Osborne reckons Geordieland has changed his ways at home and is even passing horses on the gallops which is something he would never do before. When you read something like that and then he puts up a performace like he did against Patkai, hitting the front a furnlong out and running away like he did, you have to think Osborne could be right.

I think he’s a huge danger but remain in Yeats camp.

The reason I backed him when there was still a doubt about him running was down to an article I read. " Sources close to Ballydoyle have said if there is one race AOB really wants to win this season it’s the Ascot Gold Cup" Call me a suspicious fool if you like but I also doubted if there was ever anything too much wrong with the horse.

I can’t see the current price of 3/1 being there long when news of this hits the Racing Post and Sportinglife websites

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

I listened intently to Sean Boyce’s interview with Aidan O’Bien today, and particularly on the subject of Yeats.

Although Aidan said that we should disregard Yeats’ previous run, I got the distinct impression that he thinks Yeats is not the horse he was, and he really did not sound all that confident about him winning another Ascot Gold Cup.

He seemed more hopeful than confident.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

I’ve laid Yeats and Patkai at bad prices but am still happy. I’ve had a good cut at Veracity at 14-1 and am laying a bit back. I’ll be staggered if Yeats is competitive after that awful first run- I expect a lap of honour like Istabraq then honourable retirement- he’s the lay of the season for me.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

While bookmakers have overreacted to Patkai odds, people on here are overreacting and seemingly glad Patkai lost almost to the point of cartwheels.

Patkai is still a very young horse for this division and can only get better with age, in a NH Flat surely Patkai would have got more than the 2lbs he was given, given a fast ground he will surely improve at his favouritee racecourse. But only on fast surface he should be backed on the day and not an Ante-Post bet.

I think Patkai has a bright future and that being said he was misbehaving for me out there during the race and the winner hardly helped his cause although that isn’t an excuse as he was legit beaten.

Patkai reminds me of the Girl you see in the distance. She looks great until you get to know her and she turns out to be totally different to what you imagined.

Patkai is great to watch when he wins but got his bum well and truly felt by Georgdieland. He has a huge task to reverse fom with him and won’t if Geordieland stays. He looked like doing Yates last year and stopped but what we saw of him last time he looked keener to race than ever.

The bookies are puting too much emphasis on him not staying and we don’t even know if Patkai will. He did me a favout shoving Yeats out to 4/1. I said Patkai wasa crazy price then but now his price is just plain rediculous

Anyway I’ve never doubted Yeats would bounce back and I’ll be shocked if he can’t beat this lot and put himslef in the history books.

tenbob
    • Total Posts 156

my points system
    note for my pal m deering even im surprised the way it worked this one out :lol:

141 eastern anthem
    140 patkai
    137 geodieland
    127 yeats
    129 sagara
    116 centennial
    116 washington irving
    113 hindu hush

will back eastern anthen ew

Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

3:45 Gold Cup

Yeats is a terrific horse. Ran a long way below his best when the stable was in poor form; with horses needing their first run. Pushed along very early in a slowly run race. It was on soft going but Yeats has run well on the surface before. His record fresh was exceptional before then. Now eight years old, it would not be at all surprising if he is on the downgrade. That said, there are doubts about all the other horses and I still have him joint favourite.

Patkai looked the heir apparent on reappearance, though did not beat much. Has a good record here, won the Queen’s Vase last year. Seemed to be beaten fair and square at Sandown by Geordieland. However, probably went for home in earnest too soon there. The time a very good one. Stables horses have been running well without winning so far. Did not look entirely straightforward but few stayers do, Yeats an exception.

Geordieland before his win last time has looked a dog. Only winning if he can lead on the line. Second in two Gold Cups and did nothing wrong when beating Patkai, but was probably favoured by coming late off a strong pace. Possibly temperament (if not his form) is better fresh. May not be able to show that genuine nature again.

Veracity showed improved form in Dubai and unlike many stable runners, ran well enough over an inadequate trip (1m6f) first time back over here. Running on under minimal assistance in the Yorkshire Cup after getting outpaced. Gives the impression the further he goes the better he’ll be and could improve at this marathon distance. Frankie said at the start of Ascot this is his best chance of the week.

Eastern Anthem improved in to a top class horse in Dubai but could not muster any challenge back here in the Coronation Cup. Has never impressed as a stayer, unlikely to stay further than 1 ½ miles let alone 2 ½.

Sagara since last year’s race has not looked capable of the form he showed there. Though possibly needs a thorough test. More temperament question marks than Geordieland.

Washington Irving has not looked up to this even when with Aidan O’Brien, now with Howard Johnson. Needs to improve dramatically for the step up in trip.

Hindu Kush got a good ride from the front last time. Probably flattered and needs to improve on that. Well beaten in the Chester Cup but may not have been suited by the large field there.

Centennial ran well enough on reappearance when second in the John Porter at Newbury. Stable was in far better form than now. Disappointed in the Yorkshire Cup. Has pulled hard at shorter trips and unlikely to stay.

My 100% Book

Patkai 11/4

, Yeats 11/4, Geordieland 4/1,

Veracity 9/2

, Eastern Anthem 28/1, Sagara 50/1, Washington Irving 80/1, Hindu Kush 100/1, Centennial 100/1.

Am on Patkai ante-post but have also backed Veracity at 7/1 now.

Mark

Value Is Everything
    carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

I’m on Veracity for lumps at 14-1 but am laying back most of the stake tonight at 7/1 as the Godolphins are Godawful this week.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Frankie seemed cheekily confident about Veracity’s chance on Tuesday, Carv, so I wouldn’t be too disheartened.

Geordieland looks the pick on recent form given Yeats’s appalling reappearance, but this is one race I can safely say I’ll be avoiding.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Avoiding? I’ve backed Yeats at 7/2, 4/1 and now again at 9/4 and never lost faith in AOB or the horse.

One bad run and the panic sets in depite how important this race is to all at Ballydoyle.

Look at what he has achieved and look at what he has to beat today.

Patkai: Lovely horse and won brilliantly in the Vase last year. He sprinted away from them that day but that was 1/2 mile shorter than today.
    When he met Geordieland he was either totally outclassed or he failed to stay. There is every chance he didn’t get the trip that day as it was a huge jump in class for him. This extra 4 furlongs is the equivilant of a 10 furliong horse stepping up to 1m 4f against the best around. There must be a good chane he wont see it out.

Georgdieland: He’s been called some names in his time but his win over Patkai at 2 miles was impressive. My worry with him is he has ran more than once over 2 miles plus and has never seen the trip out yet. His wins last season were over 14f and 16f. He has been beaten twice in this by Yeats plus he lost twice over 2m2f at Ponte and Donny.

Verasity: Has a touch of class and could run well but this could be a bit too tough for him. Gadolphin’s horses are running poorly and that is extremely worrying.

Not only is Yeats the best horse in the field he’s the only horse sure to get the trip.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

The first year I have deserted Yeats. I think he’s not the horse he was. :(

Therefore, It has to be Patkai for me.

Hopefully his liking for Ascot will help his cause.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

I fear that you may be right, but I’ve got a feeling that Johnny Murtagh will be riding like a man possessed today, and the sheer will of him and the crowd may just get the horse home.

blackfingernail
    • Total Posts 108

you’d have to be a mad man to back against him. it’s a case of back him or watch imo. i’ve backed him, he doesn’t owe me nowt. it’s just a case of being part of racing history for me. in 20/30 years time being able to say i backed it, what price, how johnny gave him a brilliant ride etc etc.

• Total Posts 1982

Quite simply, one of the most decorated horses in history and without question the greatest stayer we’ve ever seen.

Well done, Yeats.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

I’ve often written on 606 and various other forums about Yeats’ brilliance, but I think for the moment I’ll let the horse’s achievements do the talking. But I will say one thing – for me, he will always be the most underrated horse in history.

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.