The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Ascot Gold Cup 2009

Home Forums Archive Topics Royal Ascot Archive Royal Ascot 2014 Ascot Gold Cup 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

This has echoes of Kauto Star and Denman. Yeats is finished!

No way says me. Yeats is so superior to anything out there. His trainer isthe Tommy Cooper of racing and if anyone can et him back on song it’s him.

I almost backed him in a double with Kauto for the King George at 2’s the pair and didn’t. 7/2 in a single is irresistable and could prove to be a storming bet.

I never watched the race don’t have to. I’m having a good few quid on him as many of AOB are running below form at the moment.

Maybe it’s because Rip Van Winkle woke up and ate all the oats :lol:

Not writing him off Fist.

Just, to me he did not move with his usual fluency. May be able to come back if there was a very good reason for that run. May be best on good or firmer, but did win the Ballysax and Derrinstown trial on similar ground (at the time his best runs) and has a round action. So I am sceptical (at this time) of the ground being the main issue here. He was not just beaten but beaten out of sight. though allowed to come home in his own time once his chance had gone. Could be whatever is ailing his stable effected him too, and yes, older horses do take longer to get fit.

But does an eight year old Yeats take that much more getting fit than a seven year old Yeats?

So although not writing him off, currently have big question marks about him for Ascot. Still is the most likely winner of the Gold Cup even so.

Mark

No he doesn’t Ginge but AOB is aa fly as an old fox. When you get a bit older it’s not advisable to go chasing girls round the school yard because apart from being arrested, if and when you catch them your out of puff already.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Aiden has decided to put Yeats on a go slow and aim him only at the Gold Cup. I wouldn’t pay any attention to his recent run at all.

Librettist
    • Total Posts 559

Sagara is my idea of good value at 40/1 after a couple of much improved performances in blinkers at the end of last season. He does need playing as late as possible as stops when he hits the front so God only knows what would happen if he and Geordieland were in a final furlong duel!?

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

At 50-1 I like the look of Hindu Kush. The way he stayed on in the St Leger last year having led for most of the way stamped him out as a good staying prospect in my book. He has subsequently been bought from coolmore by Dr Marwan Koukash who also bought Bulwark from the Perrett yard ahead of his Chester Cup Victory.

He is now with Dandy Nicholls so there isnt the whole worry of him being an AOB second string, and after his decent second to Alandi in the Vintage Crop on sunday its unlikely he will be seen in handicaps this season. Looks fairly likely to run and should have a decent chance if progressing with the step up as I expect he will.

ARWalsh
    • Total Posts 25

Not sure what the time was there with Putkai looked very comfortable indeed, will only improve from now until June. Handled the ground very well too!
    Don’t think the 7-2 on BF is much value though!

halfwaytoheaven
    • Total Posts 1387

isnt it always the way when you have to wait til payday to put a bet on a strong antepost fancy that its odds shrink massively the day before you can bet on them! :(

• Total Posts 4293

Never mind, you can get the price back by putting him in a double with Overdose.

I’m doing a bit of headbanging here, because my instincts tell me that both Patkai and Overdose have very strong chances of winning, but for some reason I steadfastly refuse to bet on them.

halfwaytoheaven
    • Total Posts 1387

Thats the very bet I was considering, Gerald :D

I may hold out on the 4/1. I’m hoping that Yeats will improve slightly and that might edge Patkais price out on the day.

Who knows!

I’ve missed the boat on the 16s now though

• Total Posts 1537

Bluesquare msut’ve been impressed with Patkai, they’ve got him at 2/1 :lol: :lol:

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Patkai beat nothing today, but he looks a dour stayer with a bit of class – and he loves Ascot. Definitely on my Gold Cup Cup short list.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

halfwaytoheaven
    • Total Posts 1387

Bluesquare msut’ve been impressed with Patkai, they’ve got him at 2/1 :lol: :lol:

BlueSq are ridiculous. Theyre possibly the most gutless bookmaker out of the lot

Always shorter than everyone else

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Patkai, Patkai, Patkai!

He’s crying out for this

There"s plenty of 12/1 around Halfway, go on be a devil and go for a touch!
    That is a good price!

HALFWAY, i did try to tell you on Monday!

halfwaytoheaven
    • Total Posts 1387

Patkai, Patkai, Patkai!

He’s crying out for this

There"s plenty of 12/1 around Halfway, go on be a devil and go for a touch!
    That is a good price!

HALFWAY, i did try to tell you on Monday!

Haha I know you did mate.

Sadly pay day has to come before I can afford to bet :wink: Cant bet with paper money

Pay days tomorrow. 1 day too late

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Great stuff getting 12’s but is this a joke? Horse wins a non event at 2/5 and Blue Square cut him to 2’s. Nice horse admitedly but a far cry from anything Yeats has achieved.

I see nothing wrong with Yeats running down the park considering what AOB has in mind for him. You can bet your boots he wasn’t anywhere near fit and he has been beaten before when he looked like he should have won easily. He was long odds on not that long ago and was beat.

Yeats has one target this season and O’brien has one entry. No Septimus only Yeats.

4/1? I’ll be havig plenty of that over the next few days and this who are scraping about trying to get evens a coupe of weeks before the race will be wishing they had to.

If I had 12’s Paktai that would give me even more reason to back Yeats as I can’t think of another horse who will get near the pair come the big day.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

If I had 12’s Paktai that would give me even more reason to back Yeats as I can’t think of another horse who will get near the pair come the big day.

I agree with that!

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

I can think of another horse, Hindu Kush handles all ground and stays all day. After his brilliant staying performance in the St Leger I said to myself "Ascot Gold Cup horse". Yeats didnt give his running on Sunday but Hindu Kush still went well enough to suggest he retains his form and he could well be a force in the Gold Cup. 50-1 is a steal on him for an e/w, and worth watching the st leger again for. Can see him going well in the Yorkshire Cup and that 50s going straight away.

Patkai wasnt really that impressive today IMO. It was just same terms as his queens vase win but with tungsten strike failing to run his race, what has he actually achieved that he should be so short. No doubt he goes there with a decent chance but not a favorites chance IMO I’d be wanting a far better price than he actually is now.

4-1 and lower looks very poor for one thats only stayed 2miles on a quick surface, at that sort of price I’d be wanting one whos proven at 2m4f on virtually any surface that the race can throw up, and is in form. Yeats is closer to that description for me, and whether he is a bet Ive not yet decided, but theres a patkai every year and yeats has seen them off. If yeats is past his best and patkai isnt guaranteed to stay (which he isnt) then the race remains wide open as everything stands, furthermore Patkai hasnt yet met a proven in form stayer at 2 miles.

Black Type
    • Total Posts 55

BlueSq are ridiculous. Theyre possibly the most gutless bookmaker out of the lot

Always shorter than everyone else

Really? well what price would you be happy to lay him at?

Black Type
    • Total Posts 55

Great stuff getting 12’s but is this a joke? Horse wins a non event at 2/5 and Blue Square cut him to 2’s

. Nice horse admitedly but a far cry from anything Yeats has achieved.

I see nothing wrong with Yeats running down the park considering what AOB has in mind for him. You can bet your boots he wasn’t anywhere near fit and he has been beaten before when he looked like he should have won easily. He was long odds on not that long ago and was beat.

Yeats has one target this season and O’brien has one entry. No Septimus only Yeats.

4/1? I’ll be havig plenty of that over the next few days and this who are scraping about trying to get evens a coupe of weeks before the race will be wishing they had to.

If I had 12’s Paktai that would give me even more reason to back Yeats as I can’t think of another horse who will get near the pair come the big day

These sort of comments slagging bookmakers really make me laugh. :D

On the one hand you say its a joke that somebody goes 2/1 yet in the same post you say you think it is a two horse race and one of those ran a shocker on its debut and would be far from a certainty to even line up!!

Personally I think he is a bet at 4/1. You know he is going for the race and has shown he is fit and well this season. Admittedly he didn’t beat much but how strong is the Gold Cup line up likely to be?

2/1 is not a bad price in my opinion.

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.