The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Ascot Gold Cup 2009

Home Forums Archive Topics Royal Ascot Archive Royal Ascot 2014 Ascot Gold Cup 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 4293

With doubts about Yeats’ enthusiasm yesterday, and the Sagaro Stakes being run on Wednesday, I think it is incumbent upon us to seek out the winner.

With Yeats out to 7/2, my idea is to put £20 on him as a saver, which gives me £70 to punt with.

My first idea last night was Royal & Regal, but I have doubts about him staying the trip or even being aimed at the race.

My suggestion is the Spanish-trained Bannaby, available at 20/1, who won the Prix Du Cadran last year. He has yet to run on Gd to Fm, but he does very well on Good ground.

His trainer brought over Equiano to win the King’s Stand Stakes last year, so I am sure the Ascot Gold Cup is in his mind. He had a prep race last week, over 10f, which he won. The only possible reason he can have been brought out to run so early in the season is that a tilt at the GC is being planned.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

Didn’t they say he blew really hard after the race for a long time? Remember, the older horses get the longer it takes to get them fit. Wouldn’t rule him out yet [although must admit to not having seen the race].

• Total Posts 4293

Yes, Moe, and the other thing is that the ground was Soft – which is why I’m not ruling him out together, but having a Saver.

Have done the Dirty Deed.

£20 @ 7/2 Yeats, Corals
    £40 @ 16/1 Bannaby, Bet365 (Oddschecker were lying about the 20/1)
    £6 @ 14/1 Geordieland, Bet365. Another Saver.

£24 still left to bet with. Can’t help but notice that Schiaparelli is in the market at 14/1. If there is one thing that Godolphin know how to do, it is train Ascot Gold Cup winners.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

Royal And Regal I believe should stay but will need soft ground to even run in the race, though you could say the price indicates that. And might be worth the risk.

Coastal Path would be my idea of the winner at the price though will want to know likelyhood of running to bet), don’t think we saw the best of him in last year’s race.

Patkai is interesting, won the Vase at 2m last season, easily. However, that was slowly run and can a horse by Indian Ridge stay a truly run 2m4f?

Is Honolulu fit after his trip / lameness in Australia? Will he be put in to beat Yeats? Will he put it all in?

Metamorphic ran well in the Alexandra and is big, type to improve with age.

Can’t see the inconsistent Kasbah Bliss coming over after yesterday.

Have France got anything else? Watar perhaps, though he may need plenty of water to run.

Could Soldier Of Fortune replace Yeats?

AOB has a lot of well bred, staying bred types that could improve at the trip given the chance.

Will Yeats be retired as I thought he ran as if amiss?

Fiulin seems to be improving rapidly for M. Botti.

What have Godolphin got up their sleeve? Is Veracity good enough? How good is the ex-German Schiaparelli?

What has happened to Melbourne Cup second Bauer? Could not see him in the ante-post list when I looked the other day. Would stable companion Mad Rush be another possible?

What about recent John Porter winner Enroller?

Too many questions for an ante-post bet at this stage I think. I am struggling to find stayers for my 10 to follow lists.

Have I missed anything?

Mark

Value Is Everything
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

This has echoes of Kauto Star and Denman. Yeats is finished!

No way says me. Yeats is so superior to anything out there. His trainer isthe Tommy Cooper of racing and if anyone can et him back on song it’s him.

I almost backed him in a double with Kauto for the King George at 2’s the pair and didn’t. 7/2 in a single is irresistable and could prove to be a storming bet.

I never watched the race don’t have to. I’m having a good few quid on him as many of AOB are running below form at the moment.

Maybe it’s because Rip Van Winkle woke up and ate all the oats :lol:

• Total Posts 4293

I’d quite like Mad Rush, if he ran, out of that lot.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

This has echoes of Kauto Star and Denman. Yeats is finished!

No way says me. Yeats is so superior to anything out there. His trainer isthe Tommy Cooper of racing and if anyone can et him back on song it’s him.

I almost backed him in a double with Kauto for the King George at 2’s the pair and didn’t. 7/2 in a single is irresistable and could prove to be a storming bet.

I never watched the race don’t have to. I’m having a good few quid on him as many of AOB are running below form at the moment.

Maybe it’s because Rip Van Winkle woke up and ate all the oats :lol:

Not writing him off Fist.

Just, to me he did not move with his usual fluency. May be able to come back if there was a very good reason for that run. May be best on good or firmer, but did win the Ballysax and Derrinstown trial on similar ground (at the time his best runs) and has a round action. So I am sceptical (at this time) of the ground being the main issue here. He was not just beaten but beaten out of sight. though allowed to come home in his own time once his chance had gone. Could be whatever is ailing his stable effected him too, and yes, older horses do take longer to get fit. But does an eight year old Yeats take that much more getting fit than a seven year old Yeats?

So although not writing him off, currently have big question marks about him for Ascot. Still is the most likely winner of the Gold Cup even so.

Mark

Value Is Everything
    Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

Hang on.

The race was over 1m5f which is knowhere near his best trip.

Its April and the Gold Cup is in June so this might just be to blow the cobwebs off him.

If he does run and finish tailed off in the Gold Cup then he will no doubt get retired but until then lets just wait and see.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Pointilliste impressed me yesterday quickening off the front end – a soft lead in the Gold Cup (probably unlikely) wouldn’t do his chances any harm and he’s now 2/2 at staying trips (both 1m 7 1/2f).

Gerald mentioned my long term fancy in his original post – the Spanish trained Bannaby – he was victorious over the trip last year and in his previous start he’d been a very very unlucky (nearly stopped to a walk) runner-up to Kasbah Bliss (in the form of his life on the flat back thne) – he won over 10f in Spain on his re-appearance and the trainer has a top track record at sending his horses to Group 1’s (Equiano, Suances and Bannaby himself all winning for him).

halfwaytoheaven
    • Total Posts 1387

Patkai, Patkai, Patkai!

He’s crying out for this

Participant
    • Total Posts 738

Celestial Halo…………

…okay not! :wink:

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Patkai, Patkai, Patkai!

He’s crying out for this

There"s plenty of 12/1 around Halfway, go on be a devil and go for a touch!
    That is a good price!

halfwaytoheaven
    • Total Posts 1387

Patkai, Patkai, Patkai!

He’s crying out for this

There"s plenty of 12/1 around Halfway, go on be a devil and go for a touch!
    That is a good price!

The funny thing is that there was 20/1 available before he was declared for the Sagaro Stakes!

Shouldve put my money where my mouth is then!

Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

Hang on.

The race was over 1m5f which is knowhere near his best trip.

Its April and the Gold Cup is in June so this might just be to blow the cobwebs off him.

If he does run and finish tailed off in the Gold Cup then he will no doubt get retired but until then lets just wait and see.

Yeats won the Coronatio Cup, a Group 1 at 1m4f and has only improved a few pounds at most, over further since. Also won the Irish St Leger at 1m6f.

So hardly think a trip of 1m5f was "knowhere near his best", even if he may need further than 1m4f these days to show his very best.

He was racing against vastly inferior rivals too, so would not have needed to be anywhere near his best to win.

If he did not need the cobwebs blown off when winning this as a seven and six year old, why should being another year older make so much difference? Some difference may be, not the difference between winning and being tailed off.

Yeats has in fact got an outstanding record fresh, only once before has he been beaten first time up, as a 4yo over an inadequate 1m2f. Even then finishing runner up.

I am a great fan of the horse but he undoubtedly has something to prove now. Brilliant stayer though he was, I am talking about his future. If his record was of needing his first run I’d except he needed the run / found the trip too short / found the ground against him. But none of those things in his form suggest why he should be so far below form. Most likely resons are age catching up with him or a virus / something amiss.

Mark

Value Is Everything
    Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

I’m not 100% convinced Alandi will prove to be Vastly inferior to Yeats in time. Once getting past Yeats surprise defeat, I thought Alandi was pretty impressive on Sunday, and like the way he moves.

Yeats defeat certainly wouldnt inspire me to go out and back him at favorites prices for Ascot, however at the same time AOBs havent been firing and yeats looked like something was amiss the other day. I honestly think yeats is a hard one to get right, and its possible that as he is getting older, he may be harder to get so, however AOB has had him bang on at ascot 3 years running now, so I wouldnt be writing him off just yet.

Yeats has been prone in the past to throwing in the odd howler, and with many of aidens looking like theyve needed the run this season, it may have simply been a case of meeting his usual early season target when very behind in his work.

I’ll not be rushing to back him, but at the same time 8yo isnt a horrific age for a stayer, and I wont be in any hurry to lay him on that performance.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

Can any History Buffs tell me who the last 8 year old to win the Gold Cup was?

It may not be a horrific age for a staying chaser Bulwark, but staying flat HORSE (not a gelding)?

I know Further Flight was still racing at 12 years old but he was a gelding. It is unusual for a flat racing entire to keep his form in to his eighth year.

Mark

Value Is Everything
    • Total Posts 4293

Merman 1900.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.