The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2,000th Winner – Mark Johnston

Home Forums Horse Racing 2,000th Winner – Mark Johnston

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

It’s just been confirmed that Leamington, winner of the 2:50 at Southwell, was Mark Johnston’s 2,000th winner as a trainer.

I would just like to offer my congratulation to a trainer that I admire a lot. I believe he had his first winner in the mid 80’s, so to average around 100 winners a season during the next 20 years is a great achievement.

Well done, and may there be many more winners from the MJ stable.

Mike

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

It is an incredible achievement, and one he should be congratulated for, but I can’t say as I share in your general admiration of Mark ‘Always Trying’ Johnston, Mikky.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

I have notice Mark Johnston running horses on the on the AW they are what can only be described as his rubbish plus a few he’s obviously getting prepared for a spring campaign . He doesn’t make them favourite that’s down to bookies sticking them up at silly prices and silly punters taking false prices about them…….I wouldn’t bet a horse on the AW at this time of the year with your money and more odds on shots get beat there than what is good for the health……walking about with big winter rugs on you can’t even see how they look in the padock your betting stricktly on chance half the time……hardly a fair assessment of any trainers true ability.

Zoso
    • Total Posts 479

A brilliant trainer and a great man to have on your side.

I will take a wild guess that all his short priced horses that got beat recently on the A/W were at Lingfield. The reason for that is that front running and Lingfield go together like chalk and cheese. Anyone backing a short Mark Johnston horse at Lingfield and then getting burnt only has themseleves to blame.

Top notch trainer who will always give you a run for your money.

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4822

Fav’s at Southwell are 45.24% in January.

Zoso
    • Total Posts 479

A lot of his horses will start artificially short. That is testament to how good a trainer he is, he doesnt make the prices and thats not his fault.

mdwillis
    • Total Posts 82

I would like to see Mark Johnston train a middle distance/flat stayer over hurdles. I think this would be insteresting to see him train a 3 year old 2 mile stayer over hurdles for the Triumph Hurdle the following year. If he has a slighty older middle distance listed/group 3 horse the why not train it for the Champion Hurlde perhaps. He could book a decent northern based jockey to do the steering (Graham Lee perhaps). Maybe JP McManus should buy a couple of his flat horse for him to train over hurdles like he does with James Fanshawe.

Jim JTS
    • Total Posts 841

Great trainer, great man, great achievement, here’s to many more Johnston winners.

2000 and counting!

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Great trainer, great man, great achievement, here’s to many more Johnston winners.

2000 and counting!

Couldn’t have put it better myself.

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

Zaham and Zar Solitario weren’t too bad last winter and Age Of Reason looks decidedly useful.

Anyone who thinks he only runs rubbish there is either in fantasy world or has a prejudice against the All Weather.

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1904

Not to mention Royal Ascot winner Boscobel who started life on the AWT.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

He is so involved with the Arabs these days that I think his relationship with his other owners has suffered somewhat. I think the fact that his lack of Group success could be linked to the fact that anything that looks pattern standard is quickly shipped off to Dubai.

Hrad to think he wouldn’t have done at least as well with Shamardal as what Suroor did whilst just one example this year is Gothenburg that had pattern races at his mercy before losing him to Dubai. Similarly McCartney has been taken away for a 3yo career.

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Per Kwai Chang Caine:-

Considering the backing he has in terms of top owners, do you think he has really achieved as much as could be expected?

Well he certainly didn’t start off with top owners and got those because of his acheivements with horses with pedigrees they wouldn’t give a second glance at. Even with such as the Maktoums sending him horses, he was hardly getting the pick of them.
    Have a look at Yavana’s Pace’s pedigree (by Accordion out of a Burslem mare) and ask yourself if Aidan O’Brien or Michael Stoute would let such a beast anywhere near their stable.
    A great trainer – perhaps the best in England.

mdwillis
    • Total Posts 82

I made this point earliar on but I have not had any feedback on is so I will make it again. It would be interesting to see Mark Johnston train maybe consider sending one of his middle distance horses or flat stayers over hurdles just like Micheal Bell is doing with Metorphoric or Micheal Stoute did with Kribensis. As long as he has the owners consent, I would love to see him have a runner at the Cheltenham Festival and he could book a northern based jump jockey to to the piloting (someone like Graham Lee, Dominic Elsworth or Tony Dobbin). Maybe he could train a horse like Soapy Danger or Linas Selection to run in next years Champion Hurdle.

Any thoughts?

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Won’t happen mdwillis, Johnston has stated numerous times about his reluctance with jumpers. Hopefully naps could shed some light on this subject, as far as I can tell, he owned the only horse Johnston has sent jumping in recent times, namely Riyadh.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.