The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2000 Guineas 2010

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion 2000 Guineas 2010

Viewing 17 posts - 358 through 374 (of 531 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Elusive Pimpernels time is the worst of the batch

:roll:

halfwaytoheaven
    • Total Posts 1387

Elusive Pimpernels time is the worst of the batch

:roll:

Is that not pointing out which is the worst time of the lot? Doesn’t mean i’m comparing them for my betting needs. :wink:

I threw Elusive Pimpernel out before the Craven and I still stand by my decision.

Fryern
    • Total Posts 175

EP was having a warm up in the Craven and slowing down.

The others were flat out in a real race. KF is no fool.

I ruled out SNA as poor value for money and too risky at the price. EP was 25-1 Ladbrokes, 20-1 elsewhere at the time.

Keep smiling……….

:D :D

fintron
    • Total Posts 7

Has anyone head anything more on Fencing Master’s well-being? He remains a solid 16/1 shot with most firms, although a couple have pushed him out to that price from 14/1.

Strange really, given Chabal became the latest horse to boost the Dewhurst form, winning the classic trial at Sandown for Godolphin last weekend. Dick Turpin already boosted the form by beating Canford Cliffs and Arcano in the Greenham, and with the race being run at a solid time, I think the form is trustworthy.

Fencing Master ran very green in the Dewhurst but considering he was soon being pushed along he has to emerge with credit for running the winner so close, especially since he was racing on the wide outside throughout.

I’m on St Nick at 7/2, Al Zir 25/1 and Hearts of Fire at 25/1 but had a little bit more on Fencing Master at 16/1. I hope theres something I haven’t missed with him.

newyork
    • Total Posts 215

I think such is the confidence about the fav at ballydoyle is the probably reason for the price about fencing master,much the same as in 2006 with GW and Horatio Nelson

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Eddie Ahern back on Elusive Pimpernel.

Participant
    • Total Posts 296

There is something about Canford Cliffs prep run that reminded me of Kings Best Guineas prep race, here are the respective race comments, they both showed explosive speed and were beaten half a length. King’s Best went on to win the guineas.

KINGS BEST
    Tracked leaders, pulled hard, led and quickened over 2f out, ridden, edged left and headed well inside final furlong

CANFORD CLIFFS

Led, driven, quickened 3 lengths clear and edged left over 1f out, hung left inside final furlong, headed and no extra near finish

Hannon’s horses are running out of their skin, there is every chance that CC will improve for the run, will run better on Good to Firm and if settled in the pack could blind them all for speed. Next stop the July Cup.

• Total Posts 1046

yep, sprinters speed over a flat-out mile with an uphill finish

sounds right :shock:

Swifto
    • Total Posts 16

Yeah, but will CC really get up that hill. I think thats where SNA and EP come into the mix in a big way. CC is more of a spinter (5,6,7f), not 1mile ending with a punishing up hill for the final furlong.

I cant see past SNA. He has more acceleration than EP, but may not be able to match EP’s speed/power. EP’s a larger horse and further than 1m will be better suited IMHO.

I dont think any other horse in the race can match SNA’s acceleration (maybe CC, but he wont get 1m) and if he gets up the hill (I dont think 1m is a problem at all) he’ll win comfortably. EP may get near him up the hill, but I think the race will be over by then.

I’d like EP too win as AOB dominates things most years. Just like I was happy to see Sea the Stars fight off every AOB trained horse he threw at him.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1404

If

Canford Cliffs stays the mile and settles well in behind, then I think he’ll win. I’ve just got slight doubts about him getting the mile.

At 6 furlongs on good ground, I feel that Canford Cliffs will be close to invincible.

pedigreeman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 62

Sea Pigeon – can you name us the last horse to take a Guineas/July Cup double?

Sprinters nor 7f horses just don’t win this race.

• Total Posts 638

When exactly did Newmarket install a ‘punishing’ uphill finish on the Rowley mile?

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

It’s no Towcester thats for sure.

• Total Posts 1046

The wide expanses of the Rowley Mile can be deceptive in their perspective; the temptation for the inexperienced is to go for home too soon. But more than that is the undulating topography of this trickiest of pitches, in particular the infamous Dip a quarter of a mile out, a downhill run of a furlong before an equally sharp rise to the finishing line.

"It comes at the most crucial time of the race," said Fallon, "just when you’re starting to get your horse ready for the final effort. You want him or her to be balanced and travelling smoothly as you start the descent,

but if you start to get organised too early and start using up fuel then you won’t have enough left for the run uphill

"If you try to start to accelerate going downhill you risk becoming unbalanced and if you leave it too late the others will have got first run. It’s a very fine line to decide where and when to go."

point is it ain’t flat and takes some getting!!

• Total Posts 1688

Has SNA developed into a more typical Montjeu over the Summer? How much so? That is up for debate. How long do we need to debate until the best-priced 6/4 starts looking a bit hazy?

One thing we all can agree on is the level of intrigue regarding this favourite.

Participant
    • Total Posts 296

In 49 runnings of the Racing Post trophy how many winners have gone on to win the 2000 guineas? a cursory glance shows 1.

Chief Singer was a top class miler good enough to win most guineas, he was unfortunate to come up against the exceptional El gran Senor and came 2nd. He had a similar profile to CC. He won the Coventry Stakes the St James Palace, JULY CUP and Sussex Stakes.

Fryern
    • Total Posts 175

an equally sharp rise to the finishing line.

but if you start to get organised too early and start using up fuel then you won’t have enough left for the run uphill

point is it ain’t flat and takes some getting!!

Hi Big Bucks,

The point is it beggars belief that so many punters are ignorant of the fact – long may it last!

:D :D

Viewing 17 posts - 358 through 374 (of 531 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.