The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2 Year Olds 2021

Home Forums Archive Topics Trends, Research And Notebooks 2 Year Olds 2021

Tagged: 

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Colin Phillips
    Participant
    • Total Posts 313

With no 2-y-o races today there was no need to put this up early.

Saturday

Thirsk 11.10

Liv Lucky was very weak in the market, drifting out to 10/3 in the face of support for the Mehmas newcomer Melayu Kingdom (11/8f). Liv Lucky showed plenty of speed and led into the final furlong but she had no answer to the winner’s burst of speed, the favourite won by an ever increasing two lengths. The first two finished well clear.

Curragh 1.30

Glanthaune, a Kodiac colt out of a Nayef mare, took this for A.P.O’Brien (didn’t recognise the colours). He disputed the lead all the way and stayed on well to hold on. He had been supported into 9/4 joint fav. with Castle Star, the latter was slow into his stride but made good ground on the outside, stayed on well but couldn’t pass the determined winner. Both Donnacha O’Brien’s horses ran well; Shinkansen(11/1) was always involved but looked short of a turn of foot, needs further? Geodesic (25/1) was slowly away and raced at the rear but under a ‘quiet’ ride made nice ground inside the final furlong.

Curragh 2.00

Cadamosto being declared a non-runner (again) and Missing Matron not reproducing her course form meant that Cheerupsleepyjean (Starspangledbanner), even though winning nicely enough, might not have achieved a great deal.

Nottingham 4.40

Meng Tian (Territories) sent off 8/11 landed the odds without any trouble despite stumbling leaving the stalls, he led all the way and won comfortably. Looked impressive but “what did he beat?”.

Brighton 4.55

There was good support here for the eventual winner Dusky Prince (Prince Of Lir). Raced just off the pace and despite looking short of pace at one stage ran on really well close home. The second home Ye Gud Thing (filly by Mehmas) who had run 6th at Bath on debut looked the likely winner a furlong out but she ran out of puff. The third Muskateer Three is proving consistent, his jockey reported he didn’t like the ups and downs.

Early days table of First Season Sires:

ARDAD 7 runners 10 runs 4 wins
    CARAVAGGIO 5-7-1
    PROFITABLE 4-5-1
    COTAI GLORY 10-11-1

Colin Phillips
    Participant
    • Total Posts 313

Monday 19th. April

Two 2-y-o races today.

Pontefract 1.00

Just four runners? None of them inspire me from a breeding point of view. Smullen (Camacho) is 8/11, probably on the basis of Kevin Ryan’s quick start with his youngsters.

Windsor 1.10

A much more interesting race. Joint favourites at the moment at 11/8. Stunt (Muhaarar) is trained by Archie Watson and has the advantage of having had a run, a very decent third, beaten 3.5 lengths, to Thunder Love at Kempton. The other jt/fav. is Crazyland, a Kodiac filly who is a half-sister to a Group 3 winning 2-y-o, Queen Of Bermuda. First season sire Aclaim is represented by Rue De La Paix who is out of a Street Cry mare, she is the complete outsider at 50/1.

Colin Phillips
    Participant
    • Total Posts 313

Monday April 19th.

Pontefract 1.00

Where’s Diana (Markaz), the only filly and the complete outsider in this field of four, broke quickly and made just about all, just prevailing in a tight finish. Come Quick (Es Que Love) made a nice debut, racing just off the pace and then putting in a very strong challenge that just failed. Smullen (Camacho), the 8/13 favourite, had a bad day at the office, slowly away, ridden and always struggling to go the pace.

Windsor 1.10

Crazyland, a Kodiac filly making her debut, won the battle for favouritism going off at 11/10 with Stunt (Muhaarar), having her second run, 6/4. Crazyland was drawn wide and raced wide until making her way over to the stand rail, she took the lead 1 out and ran on well to win with a bit in hand. The second-placed, Sienna Bonnie (Kodi Bear) ran a satisfactory debut running on at the finish 1.25 lengths behind the winner.

On to today.

Yarmouth 1.55

Two horses dominate the market at the moment. Robasta (Mehmas) is 5/6 and Second Wind 11/8. Second Wind is by Kodiac and is a half-brother to Lundy who ran second in a 6f. Listed race at Naas.

Wolverhampton 4.50

This race looks quite interesting. General Panic (Outstrip), a winner at Southwell on debut, is the 11/8 favourite. Navello (Ivawood) didn’t show a lot when quietly fancied at Bath on debut is available at 11/2. Ye Gud Thing (Mehmas), having her third outing today, looked the likely winner 1 out before weakening into second. That was over five and a half furlongs and a stiff finish against what may be a decent winner, the 6/1 available looks decent value. Man On A Mission needs to step up “bigly” on his debut effort at Leicester. Brazen Akoya (Brazen Beau) showed lots of speed on debut at Redcar leading until weakening 1 out. Second favourite at 15/4, at the moment, is the un-raced Equiano colt Goldenhurst, trained by R. Hannon.

Tipperary 4.40

At the head of the market at 11/8 this morning is Yet, a War Front filly out of a Galileo mare. The Mehmas filly Hapipi Go Lucky is second in at 5/1. Porsche Cavalier (I thought Vauxhall made them!) is very speedily bred, being by FSS Cotai Glory and a half-sister to a Listed winning five furlong horse. There two other FSS runners Elliptic (Caravaggio) and Quick Suzy (Profitable).

Colin Phillips
    Participant
    • Total Posts 313

Yesterday April 20th.

Yarmouth 1.55

Robasta went off the 4/7 favourite but basically lost his chance when blowing the start, always playing catch-up. Second Wind (9/4), on the other hand, broke quickly made all and won cosily by three-quarters of a length.

Wolverhampton 4.50

General Panic, a winner on debut at Southwell, was made the 11/5 favourite and almost justified his position in the market; he raced prominently throughout, took the lead inside the final furlong but was just ‘nutted’ on the line. Navello, the winner, was well supported (10/3) despite showing little on debut. Navello was slowly away so put up quite a performance to take this, making strong late headway to pinch the race on the line. Third was Ye Gud Thing who again showed a burst of speed to get into contention but couldn’t challenge the first two.

Tipperary 4.40

Yet, the A.P.O’Brien-trained War Front colt, was withdrawn because of the unsuitable Yielding ground? Even with that absence I think this might turn out to be a decent event. The field split and Elliptic (3/1 f.) missed the break. The Caravaggio filly raced at the rear until making headway up the centre of the track and then quickening quite markedly to lead late on and win nicely. The second Quick Suzy and fourth Porsche Cavalier look likely future winners.

Today’s action:

Dundalk 4.50

Lord Gorgeous (Bated Breath) who ran third to Tenebrism on debut at Naas is 10/11 for this. Pandemic Princess (not sure I like that name) is a Mehmas filly who made her debut at Tipperary yesterday; her price of 25/1 suggests she won’t be taking part. FSS Ribchester is represented by Doitforandrew at 12/1.

Colin Phillips
    Participant
    • Total Posts 313

Well folks, I ain’t getting a lot of feedback on this thread. Does anyone read it?

If it is surplus to requirements I shall collect up my toys and quietly F……ade away.

Participant
    • Total Posts 7470

Hello Colin. I don’t really get into two-year-olds until Royal Ascot and onwards, but keeping an eye on this thread. I know what it’s like ploughing on with a thread, as I’ve been doing my ratings thread in Daily Lays and Plays since last June but it does seem to have a few viewers.

It’s been pretty low key stuff to date with larger stables keeping their powder dry early season. However, Wesley Ward ran a decent looking filly by Ribchester in RUTHIN who won on her debut on the Keeneland turf. She looked very green, wonky steering up the straight, but won easing down and presumably will be Royal Ascot bound come June.

Colin Phillips
    Participant
    • Total Posts 313

Thanks for the response, Rob, but I’ll probably leave the thread to others.

Participant
    • Total Posts 7470

VAUNTED is aimed at the Conditions’ Stakes that opens the card at Salisbury this coming Sunday May 2nd. There’s another winner in the entries, Mark Johnston’s Out In Yorkshire who made all at Beverley in decent style. Weights not yet allocated but as I read it both winners will carry half penalties (only 2lbs).

Participant
    • Total Posts 7470

Vaunted was found out at Salisbury with the verdict from connections being that she wants genuinely fast ground. She might have to return to Bath for that, although I wonder if Tapeta might suit her. The other winner in the field Out In Yorkshire was caught by the fast finishing SILVER BULLET LADY who finished with a flourish after being very green in the early part of the race. More to come with experience and likely this one will be Royal Ascot bound.

The 5 runner Newmarket contest was won readily by Dig Two who was taken off his feet first time at Windsor. Although the winner of that Windsor event was 150/1 it is proving to be quite a hot contest judged by subsequent results. There is probably better to come from the second here SECRET STRENGTH who was very green but put in some good work in the closing stages.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1442

The first 2yo I’ve bet this year is Russellinthebushes for The Marygate Fillies Stakes on Friday.

I don’t think that she’ll be a world beater, but I’m hoping that she’ll be a nice sort to follow, and I think that she ran with promise at Chester.

I bet her 20-1 ew

• Total Posts 14971

Only one of note for me so far, and that was Tudor, who really caught my eye at Hamilton.

Maybe not one to go to the very best races, but looks one to follow at this stage.

Participant
    • Total Posts 7470

I flagged up Ruthin after debut run, now we have a chance to see how good this one is.

Participant
    • Total Posts 7470

Vaunted goes in the 6.20 at Bath this evening, a novice event over 5f 160yds, which is a step up from the 5 furlong trip she won over here on debut. Firm ground is ideal, received wisdom being the firmer the better for this one, and the step up in distance shouldn’t be too much of a probelm given that she stayed on over the minimum and her dam won over 7 furlongs at two. This is certainly an easier event than the race she contested at Salisbury when fifth.

Participant
    • Total Posts 7470

Vaunted got outpaced in the last couple of furlongs though kept on for fifth place. She will presumably get a handicap mark in the region of 70 so I would expect nurseries to be the target now.

Winner Symphony Perfect was exposed though had run some decent races before breaking her duck here.

Newcomer SASSY RASCAL was very slow away so did well to finish in second palce and there should be better to come from her.

Participant
    • Total Posts 7470

Vaunted has been off the track for a while but made a promising return on her nursery debut at Salisbury this afternoon. The winner My Little Tip was way too good fro this field, but Vaunted kept on nicely just failing catch the third. She was stepped up in trip and the seven furlnogs seemed to to be a problem. Not a competle surprise as her dam won over 7 at Wolverhampton as a two-year-old. Vaunted is only a small filly and got a knock or two as the race developed so it may be that her trainer will look for a fillies’ nursery over this trip.

buckers
    Participant
    • Total Posts 708

I’m really looking forward to seeing Luxembourg this weekend, I think that he could be one of the better ones we’ve seen so far.

buckers
    Participant
    • Total Posts 708

I was impressed by Luxembourg, and I have bet him for both Guineas + Derby.

I got the bigger prices for Newmarket, but I didn’t think to bet him for Epsom as well.

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.