The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2.10 Worcester

Home Forums Horse Racing 2.10 Worcester

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

5 horse race, with a 1/4 favourite… Seemingly cantering all over them, then the horse breaks down leaving a 10/1 shot in front who promptly decided to pull himself up and tried to run into the parade ring which then allowed the winner to come from about 15 lengths back and pick up the win!!

Was a bizarre race

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

The favourite, sadly, fatally broke a shoulder.

Colin

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

I saw the race.  It was a 1.01 layers dream, but t was really sad to see the fav break down like that.<br>This is why I don’t bet on the summer jumps anymore.  I don’t see how anyone can condone jumping fences on concrete-like ground.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Sorry, bit tasteless on my part but I didn’t know it was fatal, just looked to pull up lame. Still a very bizarre race..

FlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

Aragorn I was on the sodding 14/1 shot that pulled itself up. I wonder what McCoy would have done if he was on board.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

I was on the winner, I think McCoy would have piggy backed the horse to the line! Probably would have won as well…

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Quote: from Racing Daily on 3:13 pm on July 26, 2006[br]I saw the race.  It was a 1.01 layers dream, but t was really sad to see the fav break down like that.<br>This is why I don’t bet on the summer jumps anymore.  I don’t see how anyone can condone jumping fences on concrete-like ground.<br>

You’d almost have a point if the race in question wasn’t a novice hurdle.

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

Quote: from davidjohnson on 6:18 pm on July 26, 2006[br]

You’d almost have a point if the race in question wasn’t a novice hurdle.

Same difference dj.  Landing at speed on rock ‘ard ground jars horses up.  I choose to boycott summer jumps for this reason.  You will note that I have not once tipped a horse over the sticks in the 4PP, since it started in May, so i’m not just spouting off.  I simply don’t agree with summer jumps.  It’s no safer than a/w jumps were, at this time of year IMO.

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

Quote: from FlatSeasonLover on 3:24 pm on July 26, 2006[br]Aragorn I was on the sodding 14/1 shot that pulled itself up. I wonder what McCoy would have done if he was on board.<br>

Reached for the whip

Alchemist
    Participant
    • Total Posts 232

Funny race that, nothing happened for a circuit, then everything happens in the space of strides.<br>Quite rightly, i’m sure that Dazzling Jim will have made it into hundreds of ‘shocking beast’ lists up and down the country after this effort. He made seveal attempts to pull himself up and crash through the railings on the run in, then got collaed near the post. After the race, I thought the girl leading him round looked as though she wished she was somewhere else!!

Richard Johnsons bad day at the office continued later in the day on Rushneeriver. He looked to have the race sewn up, when he appeared to have a look round and momentarily stop riding, having failed to see Potts of Magic finishing strongly. A few choice words were said to Johnson from certain areas of the crowd. Does anyone know if the stewards had anoter look, and if so was any action taken?

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5123

Quote: from Racing Daily on 6:33 pm on July 26, 2006[br]

Same difference dj.  Landing at speed on rock ‘ard ground jars horses up.  I choose to boycott summer jumps for this reason. <br>

I think you’ll find the summer jumps courses have, in general, produced better (less damaging) going during high summer than several of the ‘winter’ NH tracks have when resuming in the autumn – Exeter, Taunton, and Ludlow spring to mind.

Two of the summer jumps tracks, Stratford and Worcester, only race from Spring to Autumn and are therefore likely to have their courses in decent shape (healthy grass cover) having not endured the ravages of winter racing on sodden ground.

All that said I too have concerns about horse welfare, not only going concerns but also the potential damage hot weather may inflict both in the short and long term, particularly to chasers.

(Edited by Drone at 10:00 pm on July 26, 2006)

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Quote: from Alchemist on 7:28 pm on July 26, 2006[br]Funny race that, nothing happened for a circuit, then everything happens in the space of strides.<br>Quite rightly, i’m sure that Dazzling Jim will have made it into hundreds of ‘shocking beast’ lists up and down the country after this effort. He made seveal attempts to pull himself up and crash through the railings on the run in, then got collaed near the post. After the race, I thought the girl leading him round looked as though she wished she was somewhere else!!<br>

<br>Dazzling Jim has hung, pulled too hard, or both, in most of his racecourse starts to date, even when winning an awful Stratford bumper a few weeks ago. The victor So Brash, meanwhile, is the luckiest yoke in training, having been gifted another 2m4f hurdle at Worcester last time out when Grand Slam Hero proved unsteerable up the inside of the run-in when well clear.  There won’t be too many less deserving carriers of a double win penalty in such events this season.

gc<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Quote: from Alchemist on 7:28 pm on July 26, 2006[br]<br>Richard Johnsons bad day at the office continued later in the day on Rushneeriver. He looked to have the race sewn up, when he appeared to have a look round and momentarily stop riding, having failed to see Potts of Magic finishing strongly. A few choice words were said to Johnson from certain areas of the crowd. Does anyone know if the stewards had anoter look, and if so was any action taken?<br>

<br>Don’t think any action was taken. Rushneeyriver can’t see the front quite as early as he did yesterday (i.e. part way down the back straight) and sustain his effort right to the line. He was running on the proverbial vapours in the last half furlong.

gc<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Quote: from Drone on 9:59 pm on July 26, 2006[br]

Quote: from Racing Daily on 6:33 pm on July 26, 2006[br]

Same difference dj.  Landing at speed on rock ‘ard ground jars horses up.  I choose to boycott summer jumps for this reason. <br>

I think you’ll find the summer jumps courses have, in general, produced better (less damaging) going during high summer than several of the ‘winter’ NH tracks have when resuming in the autumn – Exeter, Taunton, and Ludlow spring to mind.

Two of the summer jumps tracks, Stratford and Worcester, only race from Spring to Autumn and are therefore likely to have their courses in decent shape (healthy grass cover) having not endured the ravages of winter racing on sodden ground.

<br>Moreover, there are greater strictures on quality of ground enforced on jumps courses running during June, July and August than at other types of year. Hard ground results in an instant cancellation, firm ground gets a very, very careful look at before getting the all-clear.

Some of the racing surfaces at the likes of Fontwell and Sedgefield come May – after a long season of horses stomping all over them in all weather – looked far rougher than anything Worcester, Newton Abbot or Stratford have produced during the hotter weather.

As far as I could tell, Onward To Glory appeared to break his shoulder on the run to the last rather than upon landing over the second last. I’d need to have another few looks at the incident to be entirely sure, though.

gc<br>

(Edited by graysonscolumn at 11:06 pm on July 27, 2006)

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

Whilst it appeared that the second last was the cause of the injury, I couldn’t be 100% sure.<br>I was, at the time, giving the wife a verbal explaination of why 1/4 shots should be layed in dodgepot races like that.  That is why I was paying attention to the race.  You can imagine my guilt when I saw the fav break down like that, when having the race at his mercy :(<br>Whilst the race illustrated my point to the spouse, it was not a satisfactory result for me at all.

(Edited by Racing Daily at 12:03 am on July 28, 2006)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.