The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2.05 Taunton

Home Forums Horse Racing 2.05 Taunton

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 800

I see the winner was disqualified after the jockey failed to weigh in.

The jockey was stopped by ITV for an interview. He has then headed back to the changing room which is in a different place from the weighing room due to Covid measures.

The winner was inevitably thrown out but then the poor lad was hit with a 21 day ban.

Is this really a fair punishment? There was no attempt to cheat or deceive. It was an honest mistake. Given the change in procedures, his mistake is understandable. Normally he would have to walk by the scales to reach the changing room.

Jockeys can commit serious riding offences and not get anywhere near as severe punishment. I hope he appeals and gets the ban reduced.

sporting sam
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2766

Totally, I saw the result had changed and wondered what had happened.
    Once you have gone out of sight you cannot prove your weight.
    I feel for the lad but a few punters and the connections have lost out. The harshness is to emphasise the importance of remembering to weigh in.
    The whip ban is definitely the most lenient and brings the sport into real disrepute in the public eye. The fact is you can win a race through excessive use of the whip get banned and still keep the race. I think an owner complained about that same fact recently.

Tonge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

Sounds like more could (and should) be done to ensure this sort of accident can’t happen but it is the jockey’s responsibility to weigh in and they all know this. Even if he thought the horse had no chance, he still has to weigh in at the end and should have familiarised himself with the procedure. I doubt anyone who backed Twin Star on the exchanges will have much sympathy with the “poor lad” argument.

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 800

I assume you are referring to the incident at York where Martin Harley struck his horse 12 times – 5 times more than permitted. He got 9 days and a £1,350 fine (although his percentage of the prize money was over £3,000).

It does seem absurd and unfair that a jockey can blatantly break the rules and get 9 days and not lose the race – but a lad makes an honest mistake, loses the race and his share of the prize money and gets 21 days into the bargain.

I realise the stewards had no option under the rules to disqualify the winner today but they should have had discretion under the rules to not impose a 21 day ban, especially given the unusual circumstances caused by Covid regulations. In normal circumstances this incident simply would not have happened.

sporting sam
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2766

Yes cork all star, that was the incident in question. It was one of many. In all this little consideration is being given to the welfare of the horse who after all was meant to be the beneficiary of tbese rules.
    Back to weighing in….
    Advice to jockeys.
    The next time Matt chapman or Alice Plunkett tries to shove a six foot long pole in your face when you are riding your horse in, or push in between you and connections when you are trying to talk…tell them to put it where the sun doesn’t shine. Tell them to go away and that there will be time to talk after you have weighed in and fulfilled all after race protocols.
    Itv do some good things for racing,
    but decent pre race parade viewings of horses and after race interviews are not them.

Purwell
    Participant
    • Total Posts 673

I’m pretty sure that Matt Chapman reminds jockeys to weigh in at the end of the interview.

seaing stars
    Participant
    • Total Posts 84

“little consideration is being given to the welfare of the horse who after all was meant to be the beneficiary of tbese rules”

Yep, agree with all this, if breaching whip rules meant automatically losing the race it would be a very different look.

Back to the subject in question. I think 21 days is harsh but you have to weigh in, yes the procedures are affected by Covid, yes the TV crew are a distraction, but it is still an important part of the job. If you make allowances for an honest mistake you open the door to someone trying to exploit that another time.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.