The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

1980 2000 Guineas disqualification of Nureyev

Home Forums Horse Racing 1980 2000 Guineas disqualification of Nureyev

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    RobinFromIreland
    • Total Posts 72

I had never seen the 1980 2000 Guineas disqualification of Nureyev until now. Needless to say, this was rather a bit harsh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4urs_h4MeLs

Dallimann
    • Total Posts 138

seems unbelievable really…would need to see the head on view.

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3137

Many injustices in those days, the first three or was it four, in a race at Royal Ascot got chucked out and I can remember at least two easy winners I backed getting thrown out for minor offences but can never remember backing a winner that got a race on a disqualification.
    Thankfully those days are behind us apart from when the likes of Plumpton stewards are in action.

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8992

Nureyev was a very, very good horse and this was an injustice. Although we’d never like to admit it I think our stewards did tend to err on the harsh side in those days when presented with any possible infringements caused by a horse from across the channel.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Nureyev was justifiably disqualified in may people opinions.

Apparantly the french jockey got into a bit of troubled early on and lost several lengths, then went bonkers just at the 3 furlong marker and barged his way through almost knocking Pat Eddery on Posse out of the saddle and causing a few others to take a pull.

You can hardly see it on there as the camera angle changes at the worst possible time but you just catch it…watch the horse in yellow snatch up.

No doubting he was the best horse on the day but the jockey shoud have been shot

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8992

Eddery is quoted as saying that ‘Nureyev nearly murdered me’ and there is no doubt that the Frenchman steered an erratic course and that barging occured. However it did not affect the result and I very, very much doubt that a disqualification would occur in the same circumstances today.

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

I recall this race all too well.

I had been shouting from the rooftoops for some weeks prior to the race that Nureyev would "bolt up" in the Guineas and backed him accordingly.

Phillipe Paquet was a good jockey but like his fellow countryman, Freddie Head, he tended to find difficulties on English racecourses from time to time. However, although there was interference, I cannot to this day see how it affected the result. I was livid when Nureyev was disqualified and placed last. Absurd decision.

Nureyev beat Jeremy Tree’s Known Fact that day, who in turn beat John Dunlop’s Posse – both fine milers in their own right.

I did get scant consolation later on, when I backed Known Fact at 4/1 to beat champion miler, Kris, in the QEII at Ascot – and I doubled up with Ian Balding’s Robellino on the same card. Happy days.

Yes, Nureyev was definitely Dar Re Mi -ed that particular day at Newmarket. :oops:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Craig Braddick
    • Total Posts 373

One of my favorite 2000 Guineas, even though I was only four at the time and the first classic I haver a memory of.

Even today when I see a horse with Nureyev in its breeding I mention the injustice of that race for our friends in America.

Craig

timholland
    • Total Posts 10

My late father was the Stipendary Steward there that day. He maintained that it was a fairly clear cut decision.

From this video one can see little, I do remember the head on looked very bad.

Funny enough, I backed Known Fact.

Craig Braddick
    • Total Posts 373

My late father was the Stipendary Steward there that day. He maintained that it was a fairly clear cut decision.

From this video one can see little, I do remember the head on looked very bad.

Funny enough, I backed Known Fact.

There is a mini documentary to be made there if somewhere in the RTS archives the head-on exists.

Craig

timholland
    • Total Posts 10

If you look at the video at 1 min 18 seconds you can just see where Nureyev pulled out and Eddery on Posse took up. Not very clear though.

Craig Braddick
    • Total Posts 373

If you look at the video at 1 min 18 seconds you can just see where Nureyev pulled out and Eddery on Posse took up. Not very clear though.

Couldnt see anything at 1.18 at 1.22-1.24 Nureyev appears to drift to his right and maybe crossed the line of the horse whose jockety was earing yellow silks but that horse looked beaten to me.

Craig

timholland
    • Total Posts 10

No, the incident is at 1.17 or 1.18 and is just before the camera switches over. Posse is in deep red colors and is on the very right of the picture. Hard to see but is there.

Craig Braddick
    • Total Posts 373

No, the incident is at 1.17 or 1.18 and is just before the camera switches over. Posse is in deep red colors and is on the very right of the picture. Hard to see but is there.

Isnt Posse on the other side of the track though…How does Nureyev interfere with him?

Craig

timholland
    • Total Posts 10

Posse was drawn fairly far out — maybe 12 or 13 and raced towards the far side until he was hampered when Nureyev came up on his left. Then he switches, behind most of the field, towards the stand side when he makes his big run. Watching it over and over again I have to think it did cost him the race.

guskennedy
    • Total Posts 759

Posse was certainly badly hampered and then proceeded to run on very strongly in the closing stages. It’s always unsatisfactory when the race is awarded to a horse that was beaten on merit and Nureyev was clearly superior to Known Fact on the day. However, as the rules were at the time, the stewards had little alternative but to disqualify Nureyev.

Posse was a very good horse on his day. Later that season he was a very impressive winner of the St James’s Palace and a clever winner of the Sussex.

ghost
    • Total Posts 5

The one question you have to ask is would the result have been different,NO.unforgettable injustice to a smashing racer aswell as sire.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.