The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

1000 Guineas 2011

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion 1000 Guineas 2011

Viewing 5 posts - 86 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 1982

I was very impressed with

Memory

in the Cherry Hinton. Connections are incredibly bullish, declaring that she has ‘grown and matured’ over the winter. She looks sure to be suited by the conditions and the trip.

At 50/1, I’ll take a chance on

Together

reaching the frame. Not the most convinceing attitude, but doesn’t have to find a great deal to be competitive. Will be much happier over this trip and she ran well against some top fillies last season.

I was counting my money at the furlong pole, then Frankie came along and did me!

I would agree that this wasn’t a vintage renewal, but she’s clearly progressed over the winter and has a decent chance of making it a classic double at Epsom.

Did she winter in Dubai?

Avatar photoRubyisgodinthesaddle
    • Total Posts 1150

Together really ran a cracking race….I think she would have beaten Blue Bunting if they were closer together as she beat the Hills filly in toughness stakes 1f out and powered up the hill.

Blue Bunting had the golden highway and the Together was very unlucky 2nd

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Very happy for Al Zarooni, big fan of him. This should shut the people up that harp on about Godolphin ruining horses – it’s not, it’s Bin Suroor. This guy is going places.

Very annoyed Sing Softly didn’t run now given the runs of Maqaasid and Barefoot Lady. Very annoyed indeed. I Love Me had to resort to different tactics given the headwind and didn’t look good in the paddock at all. Looked to be carring an awful lot of weight. Couldn’t understand why there was so much money for her or why Francombe thought she looked good. She wasn’t even straightening her hind leg out, just wonder if she was lame.

Havant looked brilliant in the paddock, the best by a mile. But another May foal bites the dust and another Halling horse exposed at the top level.

Cape Dollar wasn’t in her coat. Looked dreadful. Mate of mine reckons Cape Cross horses aren’t at their best til they’re 4. A lot of evidence to suggest otherwise and his 3 best progeny were superb 3yos, but I’m expecting to see a better horse from Behkabad this year and Ouija Board improved significantly as she got older. Just makes you wonder how good Sea The Stars could have been…I’ll do some research into that tomorrow.

Empowering looked really good, the best of O’Brien’s by a long way. No surprise to see Together beat Misty For Me (O’Brien horses without a run prior to the 1000 are now 0-0-10) but I was very surprised to see Together run so well. 3rd year in a row a Galileo filly’s been placed in the 1000.

Memory looked good and obviously her run can be ignored. Laughing Lashes looked unfit and was getting hot and bothered in the pre-parade ring. Ignore her run.

Moonlight Cloud looked well but the French horses all had blankets on. Extremely frustrating, but given the strong wind upset a lot of horses, it was probably the right idea. Did she stay? Need to see the race again.

Getting a bit annoyed by the 1000 Guineas, so many big priced horses leaving their 2yo form behind recently or returning to their 2yo form after some bad form. I love a big priced winner as much as the next person and anybody that was on Blue Bunting deserves their money and a pat on the back, but I doubt many of us could’ve had the 1st or 2nd (apart from Bos ;) ). The 4th’s run a massive race too at a huge price.

Interesting talking about course form. I’d never thought of Newmarket as a CD track like Goodwood or Cheltenham, but it certainly looks to be going that way. Richard Hughes was very damning of it yesterday in his new column and is it just a coincidence that 7 of the top 5 in each race had course form?

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

I’ve thought about the race a lot more and come to 2 conclusions.

White Moonstone and Sing Softly are the 2 1m fillies to take out of the race. Sing Softly finshed a neck behind Barefoot Lady and roughly the same in front of Maqaasid. Going along with O’Brien’s usual rate of progression with his fillies, plus assuming she’d have stayed the extra furlong, she’d have been bang there.

And White Moonstone, who of course finshed her juvenile campaign unbeaten. Beat Together at Ascot and was clearly the Godolphin no. 1 for this race. Wouldn’t want to back her until the back end of the season (Bin Suroor’s early season form is just abysmal these days), but I’d be surprised if she couldn’t pick up the Sun Chariot or Prix L’Opera come the start of October. Surely with that breeding she could head off to the Breeders’ Cup for the F&M Turf too.

denphone
    • Total Posts 2

Looking at Saaed Bin Suroor in the last couple of seasons he does not seem to hit form until June onwards, do not underestimate him.

Viewing 5 posts - 86 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.