Forum Replies Created
- AuthorPosts
No, he’s now with Kris Lees. I think he’s being aimed at the Wyong and Newcastle Cups.
But here’s the unbelievable part – he won his 1000m trial by a head this morning. And even more unbelievable, he ran 0.42 quicker than Snow Alert, who won his trial by close to 4 lengths.
Maybe Kris Lees has found the key to him, he’s good with those dour staying types.
Interesting – still believe that the field will be more than half internationals. We’ll know in the next week if the Japanese are coming, and as well, I’m hearing Carthage may be back in the mix for new trainer Derek Cruz.
For the locals, however, it is the time when many of them start to step up their preparations.
For those unfamiliar with Australian racing, most trainers publicly barrier trial them before a race. It’s a mock race, and because there is no prizemoney, trainers can work them as hard or as little as they want.
Those set to trial in the next week include Herculian Prince, Descarado, Theseo (not a Cup horse, but definite Cox Plate contender) and Rock Classic.
Others who could make some of the lesser races but probably won’t be in the main race itself include Zabdued, Seventh Reason (Sadler’s Wells x Sunday Joy), Standing Ovation (Sadler’s Wells out of Golden Slipper winner Ha Ha), Rabbuka, Sainthood and Sobers.
American sprinter Cannonball will also be trialling for Gai Waterhouse.
Former British stayer Timetable trialled at Newcastle this morning, while Shoot Out trialled on Tuesday.
Jeremy Noseda has said Sans Frontieres is a possible Cup horse, which means he now has two possibles – it and Theology.
Surprising considering how critical he has been of Australian racing in the past – especially his comments regarding Takeover Target’s drug-related scratching from the HK Sprint and the fact that trips to Australia aren’t subsidised.
I really think Rebel Raider, like Monaco Consul, will be one of these horses that may start at big odds on the day but will run big races. In particular Rebel Raider, he looks a dyed-in-the-wool stayer. And you saw how he relished Flemington in the VRC Derby.
Chiswickian, What A Nuisance started his prep on June 27th at Bendigo.
And one thing for you Gerald, I emailed Cumani in my role as a journo for Just Horse Racing. He himself responded last night, he’s very keen to bring Drunken Sailor down. Perhaps a very good find by you. He said the stable’s two main hopes are Drunken Sailor and Manighar.
I reckon he’ll probably give Manighar a lead up in the Caulfield Cup and Drunken Sailor a lead up in the Geelong Cup.
Okay, Mourayan has been removed from the two significant antepost markets in Australia, with Sportingbet and Betstar. So something’s obviously up.
Sorry, one more post. I see why you were thinking they might be dead. Herculian Prince is among the dead brigade on Betfair’s market. He’s in between Viewed, Our Aqaleem and Changingoftheguard – all tragically deceased.
And Shoot Out is having a barrier trial this morning in anticipation for a reappearance in the Bletchingly Stakes (1200m) at Caulfield on July 31.
History is against him though – not one Australasian winner of the Cup in the last 20 years has reappeared in July. In fact, the earliest technically was Kingston Rule in 1990, who resumed on August 8.
Most don’t resume until the end of August or start of September.
Herculian Prince (definitely spelt that way) is alive and well. I spoke to the stable about him last week:
http://www.justhorseracing.com.au/news/australian-racing/waterhouse-preparing-for-caulfield-and-melbourne-cup/
As for Mourayan, I don’t know. I’d love to contact Lloyd Williams or Rob Hickmott, but that is much easier said than done.
He is still in the market, albeit at a pretty big price.
Just out of interest’s sake, a few possible Melbourne Cup horses will be making their reappearance this weekend – Precedence, Moatize (both for Bart) and Gorky Park (for David Hayes).
John Moore to confirm spring plans for Able One
Hong Kong trainer John Moore has suffered a blow to his spring aspirations, but still hopes to take part in this year’s Spring Racing Carnival.
Moore revealed to Just Horse Racing that he is no longer the trainer of Carthage, who is on the fourth line of betting in some early Melbourne Cup markets.
Carthage, who raced in Europe under the name Beheshtam and was a one time favourite for the Prix De L’Arc De Triomphe, was purchased by Hong Kong connections at the end of last year with the Melbourne Cup firmly in their sights.
However, it is highly unlikely that he will now be seen in Melbourne.
The loss of Carthage has also meant that Australian audiences will not see superstar Collection at Moonee Valley for the Cox Plate.
The owners of Carthage are also amongst the owners of Collection, winner of the 2009 Hong Kong Derby. Whilst Moore still trains the gelding, all overseas plans have now been put on hold.
Nevertheless, Moore may still be represented down under by dual Group 1 Champions Mile winner Able One.
Able One, a son of Cape Cross, has won nine of his 31 starts. While his best distance is 1600m, a tilt at the 2040m of the Cox Plate has not been ruled out by Moore.
“A decision on whether he makes the trip will be made this week,” Moore said.
Coolmore has denied that either have been sold – they emailed me this morning AEST.
Should also say, if Lloyd Williams is the buyer as some have speculated, they have a ready made pacemaker for the likes of Mourayan and Alandi, as well as Linton.
Or if OTI is the buyer, a pacemaker for the likes of Bauer, Manighar, etc.
Pacemakers aren’t allowed in Australia, but thanks to his Derby run, it would be considered suspicious if he didn’t lead by a big margin.
Irish Stayers Sold To "Aust Interests"
International interest in the 150th Melbourne Cup "heightened with 2 of Ireland’s best young stayers sold to Australian interests," reported The Daily Telegraph. English Derby runner-up At First Sight & Royal Ascot winner Mikhail Glinka (both previously prepared by leading Irish trainer Aidan O’Brien) "have been bought & are expected to join a prominent Victorian stable". They are both currently 3YOs by northern hemisphere standards (but will be classified as 4YOs when they race in Australia in the Spring) & are "expected to arrive in Melbourne later this month", where they will spend 3 weeks in quarantine.* At First Sight (Galileo-Healing Music, by Bering) has an international rating of 116 from his 2nd (behind Workforce, currently the world’s highest-rated horse) in last month’s Gr1 English Derby (12 furlongs) at Epsom Downs.
* Mikhail Glinka (Galileo-Lady Karr, by Mark Of Esteem) is a last-start winner of the Gr3 Queen’s Vase (2 miles) at Royal Ascot (the colt’s 3rd win, to go with 3 placings, from 7 starts) & has an international rating of 110. The Queen’s Vase is the same race another O’Brien-trained horse Mahler won 3 years ago, before later finishing 3rd (behind Efficient) in the 2007 Gr1 Melbourne Cup.They’ll probably run this year.
Think about it, an Epsom Derby runner up with 50.5kg? Unbelievable!!!!
Rumours are abound that At First Sight and Mikhail Glinka have been bought by Australian connections to aim at the Melbourne Cup.
Do you think it is possible that John Moore will bring down Collection and/or Viva Pataca?
I think he should – he’s an Australian trainer. He has two horses who could go close (even Viva Pataca at his age).
And besides, he’s bringing down Beheshtam (or as he’s known now, Carthage) for the Melbourne Cup. So he could bring one down as a partner.
He’d definitely need to improve, but I think he can.
The Cox Plate the last few years has been weak, I think it may be strong this year but still not as good as some of the 1990’s and early 2000’s editions. Like 1992 – Let’s Elope, Better Loosen Up, Super Impose, Naturalism, Sydeston, Rough Habit, Mannerism. Or 2002 – Grandera, Sunline, Northerly, Fields of Omagh, Lonhro, Bel Esprit, Ustinov.
Here was an article written earlier today:
RACE:Waller team assembles for spring
By Caryl Williamson
SYDNEY, July 4 AAP – Chris Waller’s rise through the Sydney training ranks has been matched this season by his tally of Group One wins.
Sitting in second position in the Sydney premiership behind the powerful Darley operation headed by Peter Snowden, Waller collected five Group One wins in 2009-10.
His tally was bettered only by Bart Cummings and Peter Moody and Waller is already plotting his assault on the spring features.
Doomben Cup winner Metal Bender is back in work at Rosehill and is about to be joined by Pressday and Triple Honour.
Although he didn’t win a Group One race this season, Triple Honour’s O’Shea Stakes victory showed he was back to the form which gave Waller his first career Group One win in the 2008 Doncaster.
A dual Group One winner when he came to Waller’s stable after an injury break, Metal Bender had a four-start campaign for wins in the Hollindale Stakes and Doomben Cup.
"He only had a short campaign so he is more forward than some of the others," Waller said.
"He is back in work and he and Triple Honour will both begin in the Warwick Stakes in August.
"Metal Bender will be entered for all the big races and we will decide after the Underwood Stakes whether he is a Caulfield Cup horse or a Cox Plate horse.
"Triple Honour will be kept in Sydney as long as possible with the Caulfield Cup in mind.
"If we don’t think he is up to that then we can change plans and concentrate on the Perth races in the summer."
Rising three-year-old Pressday was a revelation at the Brisbane winter carnival, winning three races culminating in the Group One TJ Smith Stakes.
The colt’s owners include Waller and his wife Stephanie and he will be set on a path towards the Caulfield Guineas.
After his unplaced effort in the Pago Pago Stakes, Waller opted to pull the plug on the Golden Slipper and freshen him up for Brisbane.
"Pressday will start back in work this week," Waller said.
"The Caulfield Guineas is the race he’ll be set for."
One horse missing from the spring line-up will be Rangirangdoo who is recovering from a joint problem.Waller decided to give him a long break after he fulfilled his promise by winning Randwick’s famous mile after Group One placings behind Theseo in the Chipping Norton Stakes and Ranvet Stakes.
AAP TURF cw/wb
To be honest, I’m not sure where he’ll go. Not quite sure if he’ll be a stayer, but not sure if Moonee Valley will suit as much as Caulfield. I think he’d be mad not to go to the Cox Plate though, he can easily win.
Drunken Sailor looks a nice type to my eye. Definitely a possibility.
Man of Iron also would be suited here IMO but it doesn’t sound like he’ll be coming here.
Tactic definitely a chance too, the thing that concerns me about Profound Beauty is that she doesn’t really like hard ground. If it pours on the day, she’d just about win IMO.
I’ve read an article since about Purple Moon which suggests he is back in the possibles rather than probables category.
Kasbah Bliss would be good here.
Ironstein is a very very nice up and comer. His trainer, Gerald Ryan, is saying Melbourne next year will be his time to shine. So we probably won’t see him in the spring races this year.
What do you think Gerald? Could the field be more than half internationals this year? It’s looking that way.
- AuthorPosts