The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

You’re fired.

Home Forums Horse Racing You’re fired.

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

Zil, KOS might not be the easiest of rides – at least Stott makes it look that way with his regular snatching up of the horse, who is, in his size and heavy top, a pretty ungainly mover at anything slower than full gallop. This constant breaking of rhythm and momentum with big long striding types must be wearing, energy sapping and confusing for the horse.

But, I suspect that, for all his easy travelling in races, he just doesn’t have that final killer touch at the top level, especially over 10f. He was racing full out from the 3 marker where he was about a length behind Point Lonsdale, and it was after the 2 pole before he got past, at which stage Point Lonsdale was tiring. KOS just doesn’t have the pace at that fiery stage of a race at that trip, his cause hindered further here by Stott trying to switch him late on, upsetting momentum and rhythm yet again.

Were he mine, I’d try him from the front. He seems tractable enough once galloping and always responds to those snatch-ups by Stott; he doesn’t fight his jockey and thus I think letting him stride on with a good judge of pace aboard would allow him to get in the rhythm he needs, saving energy while steadily burning out those behind.

zilzal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1282

Thanks for the low-down Steeplechasing, think you may being a little too lenient on jockey. For a turn that long you have to hug the rail for at least part of it.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

Yep, wasn’t his finest moment by any means, and those dramatic snatch-ups he does can make him look amateurish. I’d say with considerable confidence he didn’t get the best out of the horse, but wouldn’t blame him for the rail position. He’s taken the rail in the first two furlongs to get cover and by the time he decides to come out they’re running into the bend and he has one inside him and has little option.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2977

Not the best ride but, even with the ideal ride, what more would they expect? Better ride he might have got 3rd? 2nd maybe. He will be a better 4 year old and was always going to be. Possible not having a hard race will help him in the long-term. Agree that Stott is better off rid.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8864

There was a twitter rumour back in July that Amo had parted company with Stott, which further suggests all has not been well for a while.

St Paddy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 12

Just a nostalgic aside about Ian’s comment in his post above ‘“No, I don’t want to train/ride your horses because tbh you seem like a bit of a tool to me.”

Said no trainer or jockey EVER.’

They’re few and far between but I seem to recall Peter Walwyn saying pretty much that to Daniel Wildenstein after DW criticised Pat Eddery’s ride on Buckskin in the Gold Cup in 1978.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

An outstanding recollection, sir – and maximum respect to Peter Walwyn for that.

I seem to recall the obnoxiously-petulant Parisian art dealer then sending his horses to – ERL, you reading this? – Henry Cecil.

Who welcomed them and him with open arms.

Sorry, ERL, most of our idols end up having feet of clay.

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

Participant
    • Total Posts 4118

Yes, Ian. I guess Henry was an art connoisseur himself. Apart from the paintings in that Brighton hotel…..

Nothing wrong with feet of clay, ask Rafa.

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3109

And a few years later after the Vacarme incident at Goodwood DW spat the proverbial dummy out again (more so at Lester, with him also accepting and then giving up the winning 1983 Arc ride on All Along being the fail nail in the coffin) and the fall out resulted in Cecil having to replace Lester on all his DW horses in favour of Steve Cauthen.

Not sure if that speed up Cauthen then becoming stable jockey for Cecil in 1985 but it surely didn’t help things and then DW went ahead and removed his horses from Cecil later in 1985 anyway.

C’est la vie……..I guess :unsure:

Participant
    • Total Posts 4675

Wildenstein later had horses in training again with Cecil, notably Fred Darling victress Rolly Polly and Beauty Parlour.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

Apocryphal, perhaps, but there was a story back in the day that paddock officials post race, instead of shouting “Horses away!” would simply call “Wildenstein!”

Participant
    • Total Posts 8864

I notice that Megan Nicholls no longer describes herself as Kevin Stott’s agent in her twitter description…

Cmap
    Participant
    • Total Posts 18

I read it in the sun on Saturday but can’t find online, but yes they broke up and he has a new agent.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8864

David Egan appointed Amo Racing’s jockey for two years.

Will he last that long?

Participant
    • Total Posts 4118

Megan is now an agent for Callum Rodriguez…..

mickeyjp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1735

Hope Egan knows what he’s getting into. One poor ride and he’s under pressure. Can’t help to have that pressure on you. Good luck to him. He’ll need it.

Avatar photoHe Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5935

I’m just glad Billy didn’t get it , will Egan last the season …

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.