The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

You’re fired.

Home Forums Horse Racing You’re fired.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2287

Seems Kevin Stott has been sacked by Amo Racing, the owner did it by text this morning.

The things I want most in life are the things that I can't win.

Red Rum 77
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4740

That’s disgusting :negative:

No-one should be fired by a text message.

At least they should tell him in person.

Or a representative tell him.

The best things in life are free.
    But you can give them to the birds and bees.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8864

It is not good to have ended it that way. But as I said on thd Irish Champion Stakes thread, there was a sense of inevitability about it.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8864

I don’t expect ambitious Megan is too pleased. But at least she can book Stott a few more rides with outside trainers now. It may even help him ride more winners.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

Firing by text – it’s how people like that operate in the modern world.

Anyone who agrees to work for/with someone like that needs to go into it with their eyes open.

Stott might not have even been surprised to get the bullet that way.

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

Participant
    • Total Posts 730

Yeah, anybody who has followed football for a while will know how this owner operates; it’s hardly a surprise. And yet we’ve seen plenty of racing journalists thinking his entry into horse racing is ‘good for the game’.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

I thought they might give him until the end of the season but when the owner went to town on him live on TV the writing was on the wall.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 2287

Sue him for unfair dismissal. Surely he hasn’t committed gross misconduct but maybe his contract states “The owner can fire you at anytime, with no warning, without a disciplinary procedure and likely to be by text whilst stuffing his face with caviar and chips”.

The things I want most in life are the things that I can't win.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8864

“Sue him for unfair dismissal.”

He would have no chance of proving that.

Stott is better off out of it. Why would he want to ride for a fellow who has slagged him off on national television?

If he and his agent want him to be Champion Jockey, he has more chance achieving that as a freelance than as a retained rider. Hanagan and Crowley both managed it but lost any chance of retaining the title as soon as they took on the Shadwell job.

The difference is they were almost guaranteed Group 1 winners from a well established breeding operation. Stott was always going to be riding a lot of horses with no chance with just the occasional good one. The owner might be ambitious but as it stands the Amo racing job is not particularly significant.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

Owner in his rights to fire him, will be in the contract.
    The text message and public criticism is extremely poor.
    Saying Stott made mistakes how about the whopper of a mistake they made yesterday in sending a pacemaker to lead Henry Longfellow at a lovely gallop whereas the owners number 1 chance wasn’t a guaranteed stayer with all the pace he had previously shown and on going that was testing enough.
    Should call himself and trainers out for that one

Participant
    • Total Posts 8864

Jockeys get hired and fired all the time. It is part and parcel of racing.

The owner has already fired one jockey in controversial circumstances. Stott should have at least known what sort of character had hired him.

He benefited from Ryan’s dismissal. Now the wheel of fortune has turned. I don’t have that much sympathy for him. He would still be in a job if he had ridden a better race on Saturday.

The manner of the dismissal is poor but plenty of other people have criticised the ride, not just the owner. Maybe it is tough to lose the job over one ride but I suspect a bit of an atmosphere has been simmering for a while and Saturday made it explode.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4118

I don’t think his operation will be a long lasting one, at least not in the UK and IRE. Just buying dozens of expensive horses and expecting to compete with Coolmore (and maybe Godolphin once they sort out their problems) is not going to work, if you don’t know how is has to be done.

Alice Haynes might be a talented young trainer and so is George Boughey, but I’d rather stick with two or three more experienced trainers rather than having my string spread with 10-12 of them across the country.

It was a huge mistake to part ways with Ralph Beckett who is one of the elite trainers in this country.

For this ownership trainers and jockeys will come and go and they still won’t find out what King of Steel’s best trip is.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

As the table below will testify Rossa Ryan is doing just fine without AMO racing although he did ride a big winner in their colours over in Ireland

Flat Jockeys Championship

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3109

Stott saying the text didn’t state a reason for his firing!

Disrespectful and shows a clear lack of class in not maning up and doing it face to face – I think a lot of jockeys might think twice about taking the job with this outfit being that this will be the third stable jockey they are now on.

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

Money does not necessarily come along with classy behaviour.
    If this dismissal issue is accurate , then it reflects truly classless behaviour. Then again criticising one of your most important “employees” in public hardly screams exemplary behaviour either.
    Their business model in racing seems shortsighted in my opinion , and I think that it may also be short lived.
    Good luck to Stott for the future.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7543

At least you get a chat and a cup of tea out of Michael O’Leary when you’re getting the boot. A public slagging and a text is tacky behaviour.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8864

I have not listened to it yet but Mr Joorabchian was interviewed by Nick Luck on his daily podcast today. I believe he said there was tension between him and Stott throughout the year.

Now as the wise Mandy Rice Davies once (almost) said “He would say that, wouldn’t he?” But I do think this is whole situation is about more than one moderate ride.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.