The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

York

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

My favourite Flat meeting of the year (mainly because I get to go all three days) gets under way and like a lot of the pricewise lemmings, I really fancy London Express in the first. He has shaped well on his last 3 starts, finishing best of all with too much to do at Goodwood last time. A return to this slower surface and a more prominent ride should see him go close.

The Lonsdale looks a below-par renewal and I can see Franklins Gardens running a big race on his return from a long absence. He has a good record fresh and probably won’t have too many taking him on up front, High Action possibly his only challenger for the lead.

The Voltigeur is a classic and could be the race of the day. Soapy Danger looks too short for me, nit sure he improved quite so much as some think at Newmarket last time and think he is vulnerable to something with a turn of foot. That could be Stage Gift, who was mightily impressive at Epsom last time, has enough stamina on the dam side to suggest he’ll stay the trip whilst his pedigree also suggests cut should suit too.

The International looks disappointing and fancy both Blue Monday and Notnowcato to give Dylan Thomas a run for his money. Will back them two small win only now Enforcer looks like missing the race.

The Acomb should go to Big Timer who has looked a monster, denting some quite big repuattions when slamming his field in a good time last time, think the Noseda horse may give him most to do, his maiden win already thrown up 2 winners, albeit including one heavily odds on.

The nursery looks very competitive but will be backing Gentleman Pirate who looks to have got in lightly on his handoicap debut. His first run at Sandown was most encouraging and the handicapper looks to have underestimated his effort behind Ebn Reem at Pontefract last time in my opinion. The Hannon horse Vitznau looks to be getting it’s act together and can give him most to do.

In the last Knot In Wood should run well, shaped nicely behind a couple than ran well in the Great St `Wilfrid at Ripon last time and as he still looks on the up can progress again.

Zorro
    • Total Posts 472

I think Laverock is overpriced in the Juddmonte. Ground and distance ideal. Third to Pride and Hurricane Run at St. Cloud looks OK, as does run against Manduro. Maraahel could be the danger.<br>Still not sure about Derby or Irish Derby form, so can’t have Dylan.

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

I think the Voltigeur is a better race than the Juddmonte personally.  I think Papal Bull is the one to be on today.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

Papal Bull looks the bet of the day to me in the Voltigeur. He beat Red Rocks much more convincingly than the margin suggests at Ascot, is bred to appreciate cut in the ground, and should have too much toe for Soapy Danger.<br> Stage Gift is a cracking prospect but, given the raise in class and distance, this looks a sighter.

IRSHEYEZ
    • Total Posts 223

I think Gringo Could go well in the first as he’ll get his strong pace but u always worry if he’ll get a run or not because he’s always dropped out the back.

I havent been truly convinced with Sergenat Cecils atitude to win this year even tho he’s stepped up to Group Class. There sholudn’t be alot of difference in the race between him and Tungsten Strike but i have to side with Tungsten as he has won this year already.

I don’t think Soapy Danger will win as he’s had a very long season as he made his debut this year after all. I think Red Rocks may turn the tables on Papal Bull and looks a bet at 5’s.

No real inerset in the Juddmonte as Enforcer doesnt run, Dylan looks the only potential superstar but he looks short enuff droppin back down to 10 furlongs and may warrant a small lay.

Big Timer looks a real decent tool, I think he will win and will win convincely. Semple believes its the best by a mile he has ever trained and it wouldnt suprise me to see him pick up a group 1 in his career.

Dubai Builder could be in off a lenient mark in the Nursery. The 3 times he has ran he has been bet as if defeat is outta the question.<br>

SirHarryLewis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1208

Championchip point might very well put a dissapointing derby run behind him.

SHL

caravan
    Participant
    • Total Posts 107

Purple Moon E/w in the first

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

I like the look of Golden Quest. Watched his comeback run with interest and under MJ, can expect a real improvement from that.

His form at Goodwood last year is the strongest on show for me. TS’s Sandown form is probably flatterin and both him and SC have been found wanting at this level more recently.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

:(

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

WTF? :(<br>Youmzain?

SirHarryLewis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1208

Quote: from Racing Daily on 2:55 pm on Aug. 22, 2006[br]WTF? :(<br>Youmzain?<br>

Didnt back him but very dissapointed with CP which I thought would run well.  One thing that did occur to me is that this horse Youzemain was a big price for what he has done but is clearly always rated scond best to the trainer.  Once again another example of how we shouldnt put complete trust in the trainers opinon.

SHL

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Depends on the trainer

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

I wouldnt fancy being DJ’s hangover in the morning – some fine tipstering there.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Knot in Wood just gets up, well done Stav!!!:cool:

Colin

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

Hopefully he can afford to buy the drinks tomorrow now :biggrin:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.