The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Would you follow racing if there was no betting?

Home Forums Horse Racing Would you follow racing if there was no betting?

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

I long remember Brough Scott saying you don’t need to bet to enjoy a day at the races. Well that might be true on occasions, I can easily watch it on tv without needing to place a wager but I couldn’t say the same if I’m going racing.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Absolutely, positively, YES!

I watch many sports I’ve never bet on. None of them have competitors nearly as attractive as a thoroughbred though. As a famous man once said "There’s something about the outsides of a horse that’s good for the insides of man" ……. or something like that. :D

• Total Posts 149

Definitely would, it’s such an exciting sport to watch, at the races or on tv, it’s brilliant.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

That makes it 15 for the motion, 1 against (and one Can’t Tell) thus far.

Ginger

, you’re right of course – and I did say that it was no surprise that TRF contributors would feel this way, compared with betting forum regulars, who’d possibly rather wager on two flies climbing a wall than watch the Arc de Triomphe without the possibility of a bet!

My point is that RfC and Mr Street ignore (or even offend) the great majority of Racing fans, who like Racing first and Betting second, at their peril. They need to wake up and smell the Horlicks.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 438

I’d

prefer

racing without betting.

• Total Posts 2432

I think, on balance, I agree with yquem21.

deltaman
    • Total Posts 190

Yes! providing there is an open day where I can have access to the saddling enclosure to take photographs of the horses without saddles and ask the trainer about pedigrees/breeding, otherwise Forget it!

rfoster
    • Total Posts 1

I would love to watch races on TV but love stay away from betting

Literature Dispensers | Leaflet Holders

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

Yes, but I’d need someone within ear shot that I could bury once I’ve proven them wrong!

I often watch racing when I have no invested interest, and I’d most certainly ‘follow’ it.

• Total Posts 5

I could certainly watch some of the big races like the derby without betting and enjoy the atmosphere and spectacle of the very best contesting top class racing.

Not so sure about a wet wednesday at plumpton though…

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

I could never have a bet again and still love watching racing on TV and at the course.

I’ve been racing about 6 times this year and haven’t had a bet. In fact the only bet I’ve had all year was, ironically, on J J The Jet Plane at Meydan last week. Will be off to Dubai next week and will enjoy the meeting very much even though there isn’t any betting on course (although of course you can bet on their races back here).

Participant
    • Total Posts 221

I dont think so!! However this will never be an issue as without betting there would be no good races, so the idea of watching classics or cheltenham without betting would not be an option!!

I often watch racing without betting, but its usually for education or research in order to bet later!!

Roseblossom
    Participant
    • Total Posts 353

I long remember Brough Scott saying you don’t need to bet to enjoy a day at the races. Well that might be true on occasions, I can easily watch it on tv without needing to place a wager but I couldn’t say the same if I’m going racing.

Whereas I’d completely agree with him – I can’t remember when I last had a bet on course. I’m much more likely to bet at home where I don’t have all the extra delights of being able to mooch around the pre-parade and chat to the stable/ground staff.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5686

Horse n ‘ marriage

No racing for change personnel flew in but the much advertised wine women and horses event at turf paradise this sunday gone was blessed with an unremitting hot Arizona sunshine, polkadots hangin’ high on bloated baked potato desert brown legs, and plenty of popcorn.

Crossed legged and sitting in the bar area relaxin american style was an aptly named hoss called gone with the wind. Uncrossing his legs and standing and raising his several hands to order his third chardonnay spritzer he accidentally cleared the the whole bar area, bar a few worser for wear heavily eyelashed females who’d experienced a lot worse the night previous if they could only but rememeber the hay , but of course, hey they were gone with the wind.

Horse sitting down… What can I do for you girls ?

Girls aloud all leaning in deeply amazed and adoring mascara towards the horse …

" Well , we all know ya entered ‘n nicely installed in the sixth race, and wanted to get it straight from the hoss’s mouth. Do we put our perfumed dollars down and give you some lipstick after the race ?"

Gone with the Wind…leaning back in his seat

" To be brutally frank my dears, from where I am sitting ,
    I just dont

give

a damn. "

Participant
    • Total Posts 443

Yes, but as one poster said – its a game of opinions and many of us like to back our opinions. I will watch races without a bet, sometimes poor races but not because they’re beautiful animals (which they are) but because I want to form an opinion regardless of money down. I guess I’m just competitive like that.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1660

I dont think so!! However this will never be an issue as

without betting there would be no good races,

so the idea of watching classics or cheltenham without betting would not be an option!!

I often watch racing without betting, but its usually for education or research in order to bet later!!

Do you consider the Maryland Hunt Cup to be a "good race"?

Getzippy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1152

Like others I certainly watch racing without betting – it is a sport.

But no betting? Bah!

Sometimes going to a strip club isn’t enough :wink:

Zip

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.