The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Would you follow racing if there was no betting?

Home Forums Horse Racing Would you follow racing if there was no betting?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Wallow
    • Total Posts 8

Just an interesting one in view of the funding issues etc and who needs who most.

So would you follow racing as a sport and seek out coverage and or attend meetings, if there was no such thing as betting on the sport?

Please let me know.

Ali

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Yes. I imagine I’d stick exclusively to the big races though. I like seeing the best against each other.

Thought I’d add this.

In 2008 I was working in a T.M Lewin (bit of a crappy job) and they wouldn’t give me festival week off, so I didn’t go back. My point is I like watching that particular meeting enough that I’ll leave a job to watch it (even though is was a crappy job). And my decision had nothing to do with bets.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1660

I already do. There’s no legal wagering at most National Steeplechase Association meets. Doesn’t stop them from getting huge crowds. They’re funded by a combination of high admission fees (compared to US flat tracks, many of which offer free admission), sponsors, and rich sporting families.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1401

Definitely! Racing will always come 1st.

I only bet in the hope that I’ll win enough to retire early :lol:

Participant
    • Total Posts 1509

I wouldn’t bother to attend a meeting, but I would watch big races on TV.

I've stumbled on the side of twelve misty mountains
    I've walked and I crawled on six crooked highways
    Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

Miss Woodford, you make an interesting point about non-betting jump meetings in America getting big crowds.

This is in stark contrast to the "proper" race meetings held elsewhere in that country, which are in terminal decline, after 30 years of the sport being appallingly mismanaged.

Few (half a dozen or so?) American tracks will exist in ten years time, but I’m sure the east coast jump meetings will continue to thrive, betting or no betting.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33015

When I was knee high to a pony, I wanted to be a jockey. Loved racing from junior school onwards. Learnt to ride, fell off, that was the end of one dream. Racing comes first. No interest in betting, until at the age of 9, we had a family sweepstake on the 1976 Grand National. Mine was Red Rum. When he finished second I picked up the winnings. Then the result was called; "first number 6 Rag Trade". My nan had not wanted to be involved, but picked a number at the last moment. Remember handing the money over. Next year was better for me. I was hooked. Rarely had a losing bet as a school kid, Little Owl, Fairy Footsteps, To-Agori-Mou, Corbiere etc. My mother tried to put me off, by giving me a book to write down every bet I would put on, if allowed. By some miracle it made a profit. At 18 I thought I knew it all. Opened a bookies account and lost £200 in a couple of months. Then had ante-post bets on Oh So Sharp (1000) and Slip Anchor (Derby) and bought my first Timeform book. That year put more money in the building society than I earnt in my job! Never looked back. Now of course, I know I know it all. :lol:

Don’t think you can be a successful racing punter, unless you love the sport and enjoy studying form.

If there was no betting I’d still go to the best racing days. There is too much racing now and the poorest stuff holds no interest for me.

However, if there was no betting, I’d probably make my own book and become the first bookie.

Value Is Everything
    • Total Posts 52

definitely – I remember a few years ago Lough Derg winning one of his races from the front under a hefty burden. I was on something completely different but you couldn’t help but be full of admiration for the way he won. Cheering him over the line, it struck me that I enjoyed that as much as a winning bet.

We have an awesome sport, the betting makes it better but the stories are good enough regardless.

in my opinion!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

It’s naturally Racing first (flat, Group, 2yo and early 3yo season for me) but of course as someone once said "a horse race is a difference of opinion", and where there’s difference of opinion people will want to back their judgement.

Having said which, the score here on this thread is 9-0 for racing first, betting second. This will not surprise us on TRF, but I’ve a feeling it might surprise RfC – so are you listening, Mr Street?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I follow soccer because it’s the supporter’s feeling.
    There is no such thing as supporters in racing.
    There used to be in Byzantium though. The blues and the greens. It was the greens of Constantinople who felt betrayed and started a bloody rebellion against emperor Justinian. After Justinian crushed the rebellion, racing ended. Reappeared in Greece and Turkey in the 20th century.

We have these days some annual non-betting events in places like Doxato (Drama) and Epanomi (Salonika). Those are festival days for the local people.

Participant
    • Total Posts 277

No way who wants to watch a load of horses running round a field/beach

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

No way who wants to watch a load of horses running round a field/beach

It’s going to be a minority sport.
    Perhaps with some glorious protagonists, but minority.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1708

I’ve been watching and enjoying racing for something like 13 years and i’ve only been betting on it properly recently. I love racing for the spectacle and the thrill of the race taking place as well as the romantic stories that shape some of the big races like the National and the Gold Cup. I don’t need betting, but i do gain fascination when studying odds of big winners etc.

Roseblossom
    Participant
    • Total Posts 353

Yes I would – I’ve followed racing since I was 8 years old and I couldn’t bet then. Even now the biggest single bet I’ve ever had was a tenner! I spend quite a bit of time at the races with a friend who doesn’t bet at all but if you saw us cheering home our favourites you’d think we had the mortgage on.

As for supporters.. yes of course there are. Not like football because there’s more than two sides in every race, but there are. There are the Denman supporters and the Kauto supporters, the Imperial Stormtroopers..

• Total Posts 336

Without doubt. The racing and horses comes first and I think most people also have their favourite jockey, trainer or even owner that they follow. Whether or not it could survive in its present form without betting though is another matter

Participant
    • Total Posts 1660

Miss Woodford, you make an interesting point about non-betting jump meetings in America getting big crowds.

This is in stark contrast to the "proper" race meetings held elsewhere in that country, which are in terminal decline, after 30 years of the sport being appallingly mismanaged.

Few (half a dozen or so?) American tracks will exist in ten years time, but I’m sure the east coast jump meetings will continue to thrive, betting or no betting.

The audience is different, though. Many people go to steeplechases for the tailgating, socializing, and the parties. There’s a divide between the people who come to see the horses, and the college students who come to drink.

Here’s some of the crowd you’ll find at the big events. This is

not

the majority, but you won’t find these people at most flat racetracks (except the Kentucky Derby and Preakness infields).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tPBEBRNUEI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JMDtj90nm8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5cFGofmDSA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvrC_lrR6Xc (we aren’t all like this, I swear!)
    And this is why the Preakness gets such big crowds http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEzj1B-E6ZI

Participant
    • Total Posts 33015

It’s naturally Racing first (flat, Group, 2yo and early 3yo season for me) but of course as someone once said "a horse race is a difference of opinion", and where there’s difference of opinion people will want to back their judgement.

Having said which, the score here on this thread is 9-0 for racing first, betting second. This will not surprise us on TRF, but I’ve a feeling it might surprise RfC – so are you listening, Mr Street?

Are we on TRF typical of the racing audience Pinza?

The mere fact we have bothered to become members of a racing forum, which is primarily a "racing" forum and not a "betting" forum; means we are interested in racing.

Am not so sure if you asked Mr Average Racing-Gambler whether he was more interested in the racing or gambling? Or if he would follow racing if betting did not exist? Whether you’d get the same response.

Do think racing has to be aimed primarily at the betting public to attract a wide audience. Just as long as the racing enthusiast is not left out in the stable.

I am also a member of a "punters" forum, and much to my surprise, their members had a different idea when a similar question was asked.

Value Is Everything
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.