The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

World Hurdle 2009

Home Forums Archive Topics World Hurdle 2009

Viewing 15 posts - 273 through 287 (of 287 total)
  • Author
    moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

Also the fact that he was obviously fragile made it a great training performance; I suppose he slipped off my radar screen when he had that year off and, if I’m honest I didn’t warm to him because I never knew how to pronounce his name..it’s only in retrospect that I’m beginning to understand what a great horse he was.

BeauRanger
    Participant
    • Total Posts 379

people put Ingilis on a pedistal – they are right – pure quality. Nothing can describe what he has done – but i hope the retirment is full of grass and lots of mud to roll in :P Outbattled , outstayed, robbed on the line – whatever .. today we learned that 2nd to the driver was nowhere – did we really expect anything else ? he deserves our respect he has earned it 8)

Getzippy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1152

Well done on sneaking 3rd Powerstation fans.

Zip

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

He won have won at four Festivals but for a narrow defeat in what is now the Ballymore Properties and also finished second in an Aintree Hurdle over two miles-four.

I think you could argue considering he was a relatively short priced favourite that he was disappointing in both those races.

• Total Posts 1982

There’s no question he should’ve won what is now the Ballymore Properties, but he was far from disappointing in the Aintree Hurdle.

Little did we know at the time that The Drever was a mere shadow at Aintree after Cheltenham.

Compared to his subsequent efforts over a more suitable trip at the course, his narrow defeat by Al Eile (who ran a solid race in the Champion Hurdle) over an inadequate trip was a good performance.

ID was more prominent that day, taking up the running a long way from home to make the most of his stamina. Again, we know these tactics didn’t suit the horse, so it was a great effort given the circumstances.

MCFC Stan
    • Total Posts 377

Well I was on Big Buck’s since he went back hurdling and was so glad when Punchestowns gave him a nice lead and wasn’t bothered about him fluffing the last. Think Kasbah Bliss may be a very good animal, but this distance at Cheltenham doesn’t suit and while he might have got away with it in some years, he was unlucky to run across 2 very good horses who got the trip better (I know he didn’t even get 3rd but had he been allowed to hold fire a bit longer, would have beat Powerstation).

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

After Big Buck’s defeated Punchestwons first time round at Chetenham, I remember saying on here that Nicky Henderson and Barry Geraghty should alter their tactics in order to gain revenge on the Nicholls horse. I was convinced that they should track Big Buck’s instead of the other way around as BB’s needed a target to aim for and that with a more patient approach could win the day.

I did think Barry Geraghty went a tad too soon on thursday – but fair play to Ruby and Big Buck’s for taking full advantage.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

I’m wondering if that Mullins horse that won the Ballmore would get the trip next season. Michael whatistname?

Anyone think that is the way he would go or is it too far? looks a right good horse to me

Fist, and here"s me thinking you knew your horses! "Michael whatistname"
    wont ever jump another hurdle, he will be trained for next years RSA and then the following years Gold Cup! I am the Ante-post king who knows these things!

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

can anyone spell the horses name without looking it up first???

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Mikael D’Haguenaut?

No, I can’t. Sorry. 8)

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Whilst Kasbah Bliss probably didn’t quite run up to his best, his best wouldn’t have been good enough anyway.

He was thoroughly exposed over hurdles, last years run against Inglis Drever was over-rated, his form chance from the Haydock run was over-rated (in terms of how much he shortened for the Stayers) and far,

far

too much was read into his Flat form from the summer. APRacing also mentioned the stiffer New Course track also being potentially against him.

A case of an exposed horse reaching the end of his stamina as two younger horses improved past him. Anyone prepared to back Kasbah Bliss for next years race needs their head examined imo.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32169

After Big Buck’s defeated Punchestwons first time round at Chetenham, I remember saying on here that Nicky Henderson and Barry Geraghty should alter their tactics in order to gain revenge on the Nicholls horse. I was convinced that they should track Big Buck’s instead of the other way around as BB’s needed a target to aim for and that with a more patient approach could win the day.

I did think Barry Geraghty went a tad too soon on thursday – but fair play to Ruby and Big Buck’s for taking full advantage.

I would’nt disagree with that Himself, but tactically the Henderson camp probably thought they had Big Bucks covered as they were conceding weight last time plus Punchestowns had come on/improved for the run. They seemed worried about the French horse and set out to to blunt his speed which is probably why he went too soon, could of done with a pacemaker.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

They seemed worried about the French horse and set out to to blunt his speed which is probably why he went too soon, could of done with a pacemaker.

A duty they might have considered assigning to Duc de Regniere for the first 2m of the race, perhaps, and in so doing not give that one such a hard race that he couldn’t then take up engagements later in the spring?

Duc de Regniere needs a truly-run 3m around a testing course (as opposed to the dirge in which he triumphed at Newbury) like a hole in the head, but he wouldn’t be without interest in the classy 3m races at Aintree (probably the Long Distance Hurdle rather than the Extra Cold Handicap).

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

• Total Posts 2184

wont ever jump another hurdle, he will be trained for next years RSA and then the following years Gold Cup! I am the Ante-post king who knows these things!

Michael whatshisname would easily have the speed for the Arkle IMO.

And Gordon, "the Ante-post king"?? Have you ever heard the saying that self praise is no praise. :wink:

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Michael whatshisname would easily have the speed for the Arkle IMO.

And Gordon, "the Ante-post king"?? Have you ever heard the saying that self praise is no praise. :wink:

Imperial,have you ever heard this one "The King sat upon his throne, waved
    his hand at the sea. Time made a fool of him and everything he tried to be,
    same with me" ? thought not! what about this one then! "Dont laugh at others if you cant laugh at yourself" thats me mate!

Viewing 15 posts - 273 through 287 (of 287 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.