The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

World Hurdle 2009

Home Forums Archive Topics World Hurdle 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 188 through 204 (of 287 total)
  • Author
    Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Good point AP, Punchestowns looks better by the second

Aristo
    • Total Posts 318

I actually never knew that. When you consider he went from cantering to a bit of a rockng horse up a less steep gradient then you have to ake that into consideration.

Of course withought Inglis Drever he would have been an easy winner and mst probaly wouldn’t have had the same pressure applied.

Pucnchestown Big Bucks and very possibly Tazbar won’t go down without a fight and are in a different league to anything he met the other day.

As I said earlier this is far from a foregone conclusion.

brendanr
    • Total Posts 196

One thing to bear in mind regarding Kasbah Bliss is that due to the lost day last year, his race was run on the Old Course, so the uphill run at the finish was a lot less than it is on the New Course where the race will be run as usual this year.

If you take the view that KB is better suited by a flat track, as I do, that run last year is slightly deceptive in terms of what might happen this time.

Another golden nugget of info from the estimable AP.

While it is quite possible that KB is better on flat tracks, I’m taking the view that the track configuration will not come into play where he is concerned. I just think he is a superior horse and if he runs close too or too his best form, he’ll win.

Getzippy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1152

it’s Punchestown E/W at 4-1 for me. Corals are willing to match Hills price NRNB to boot at my local branch, such is the financial climate at the mo.

I think Big Bucks will be outpaced and, though Kasbah is a worthy fav he is not that far ahead of Henderson’s horse – I could see Punchestown beating him and he is nailed on for the 1st 3 IMHO.

Zip

PaleRider
    • Total Posts 52

I think Kasbah bliss is 10lbs better than anything in the race ,he should slaughter this lot 11/10 after he win the other day is very fair ,i think he will be odds on ,,on the day . :D

• Total Posts 638

Re Kasbah Bliss…I wonder if M. Doumen has been training him differently in the last 12 months. His improved flat form (winning Group races and competitive in G1s) is an interesting development at his age, suggesting a new approach or regime.
    This may not necessarily be a positive however, as a strongly run 24f on the New Course would be a very different test of conditioning. Even the Haydock race (very slow early stages) had the look more of a flat contest in the way they approaced it…it was all straight lines and long uninterrupted runs, it will be a very different test at Prestbury.
    Given his imperfect record at the Festival I will pass over, I think.

PaleRider
    • Total Posts 52

Re Kasbah Bliss…I wonder if M. Doumen has been training him differently in the last 12 months. His improved flat form (winning Group races and competitive in G1s) is an interesting development at his age, suggesting a new approach or regime.
    This may not necessarily be a positive however, as a strongly run 24f on the New Course would be a very different test of conditioning. Even the Haydock race (very slow early stages) had the look more of a flat contest in the way they approaced it…it was all straight lines and long uninterrupted runs, it will be a very different test at Prestbury.
    Given his imperfect record at the Festival I will pass over, I think.

No Dever this time buddy , just a bunch of handycappers :)

PaleRider
    • Total Posts 52

Interesting comment by Nicky Henderson regarding the World Hurdle…

"I think Petit Robin has the perfect chance of being second to Master Minded in the Two-Mile Champion Chase and Punchestowns has a good chance of being second to Kasbah Bliss in the World Hurdle!"

There’s no doubt in my mind that Kasbah Bliss has achieved more than enough in recent seasons to suggest he’s the one they all have to beat. Both Punchestowns and Big Buck’s must improve to beat him.

His flat from in the summer is solid enough. He beat Barnaby in the Prix Gladiateur – that horse reversed form to land the Prix Du Cadran from Incanto Dream, who had previously won a Group 2 event.

He gave Hills of Arran 8lbs at Haydock and beat Duc De Regniere into third by approx. the same distance as Punchestowns did at Ascot.

Making up the amount of ground he did at Haydock is one thing, to do it in such effortless fashion is just taking the p***. To add insult to injury, he quickly put daylight between himself and the rest in the same manner.

Very impressive.

I’m always slightly dubious about Ascot form translating to Cheltenham and I don’t think Punchestowns will prove as effective around Prestbury Park.

Both he and Big Buck’s are chasers masquerading as hurdlers, whereas Kasbah Bliss is the epitome of a top class hurdler. He travels, stays, possesses a solid turn of foot and is by far the most fluent hurdler in the field.

The others have something to prove. Kasbah Bliss doesn’t appear to have any chinks in his armour and has, without question, improved since last year.

Totaly Agree :D

• Total Posts 1537

Kasbah looks like the one to beat, but i’m having a crack at Punchestown 4/1 ew. Henderson left work to do on this horse on purpose, so let’s see what happens.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

They showed Kasbah Bliss winning on on the Flat during the TV3 preview. If you have supported something else it isn’t good to watch. As the main two rivals are hold-up horses and don’t possess anything like the same change of pace I can’t see how they beat him. If one had been a front runner perhaps they could have tried to nick it but as that isn’t going to happen I suppose more rain than expected is the one slim hope.

• Total Posts 638

They showed Kasbah Bliss winning on on the Flat during the TV3 preview. If you have supported something else it isn’t good to watch. As the main two rivals are hold-up horses and don’t possess anything like the same change of pace I can’t see how they beat him. .

On the other hand …they aren’t running the World Hurdle on the flat round Longchamp…and both Punchestowns and Big Bucks clearly like Prestbury and can win there.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Both Punchestowns and Big Buck’s posses more scope for improvement over hurdles than Kasbah Bliss does, and both have jockeys vastly more familiar with Cheltenham, than Kasbah Bliss does (worth a few lbs in my book).

Everyone is banking on the French Flat form translating to hurdles, but that is far from certain. All the Haydock run showed us is that KB retains his ability, and it was more or less on a par with what Punchestowns achieved at Ascot. The race is anything but a foregone conclusion, imo.

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

The other point regarding KB’s improved Flat form last season is that it’s worth bearing in mind his improved hurdles form in 2007/8. Perhaps his progress on the Flat was just his hurdling form from last season transferring to the level?

Also, Grass is pretty spot on with the form from Haydock (Rendlesham) being comparable with Ascot (Long Walk). The vast difference between the prices of Punchestowns and Kasbah Bliss for Thursday’s race looks like a classic case of style over substance, IMO.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

I am on Big Bucks each way but realistically I don’t anticipate getting anything more than my money back. I mentioned the Flat race only to emphasise the change of pace. He was runner up last year so there are no problems with the track. How do you expect the others to outride him? They are all on hold-up horses and he has much more pace than they have. The ground is the only danger.

• Total Posts 1415

I am on Big Bucks each way but realistically I don’t anticipate getting anything more than my money back. I mentioned the Flat race only to emphasise the change of pace. He was runner up last year so there are no problems with the track. How do you expect the others to outride him? They are all on hold-up horses and he has much more pace than they have. The ground is the only danger.

It was the other track last year though remember which is a lesser emphasis on stamina.

Haydock is a flat track, the World hurdle will place a lot more emphasis on stamina than on speed.

Kasbah Bliss worthy favourite (I think the market is about right) but I give Punchestowns a very real chance.

Two horse race IMO, forget the rest unless it comes up a real bog in which case Big Bucks who will stay forever should be thrown into the mix.

PaleRider
    • Total Posts 52

It was the other track last year though remember which is a lesser emphasis on stamina.

Haydock is a flat track, the World hurdle will place a lot more emphasis on stamina than on speed.

Kasbah Bliss worthy favourite (I think the market is about right) but I give Punchestowns a very real chance.

Two horse race IMO, forget the rest unless it comes up a real bog in which case Big Bucks who will stay forever should be thrown into the mix.

Kasbah will destroy these handycappers ,cos thats all they are ! have no doubt these two punchestowns and big bucks have been hyped for beating other dead beats ,come thursday you wont hear no more about these two they will go back where they belong on the poor ranks of chasing :D

PaleRider
    • Total Posts 52

One here’s so much tosh in these forums ,it beggar’s belief ! makes you wonder if its worth posting , letting other posters who s racing experience seems to be very limited ,and devoid of all knowledge ? have the benefit !!
    i am in two minds weather to post again .

Viewing 17 posts - 188 through 204 (of 287 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.