The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

World Cup Draw

Home Forums General Sports World Cup Draw

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 841

Group A
    Brazil
    Mexico
    Croatia
    Cameroon

Group B
    Spain
    Australia
    Chile
    Netherlands

Group C
    Colombia
    Japan
    Greece
    Ivory Coast

Group D
    Uruguay
    England
    Italy
    Costa Rica

Group E
    France
    Switzerland
    Honduras
    Ecuador

Group F
    Argentina
    Bosnia
    Nigeria
    Iran

Group G
    Germany
    Portugal
    USA
    Ghana

Group H
    South Korea
    Russia
    Algeria
    Belgium

Nightmare group for England.

• Total Posts 790

I don’t think it’s a Nightmare as such, however it is tough.

Luckily the first game in the heat is against fellow Europeans Italy, they needed Penalties to beat us in the Euros and are unlikely to have Pirlo pulling the strings this time.

Uruguay are great going forward with Suarez and Cavani but their not all that great at the back…

Costa Rica should be no problem.

I’d argue Italy and Uruguay are of a similar quality to England. All 3 of the teams ‘Stars’ are quite unpredictable. Suarez, Balotelli and Rooney could all win you a game, they could all lose you one to by doing something incredibly stupid and getting sent off.

If we can go into the tournament with, Sturridge, Rooney, Townsend, Walcott, Wilshere and Gerrard all fit and in form, I’d back us to get through the group. If and its a big

IF

we get through we’ll have a game against Ivory Coast, Japan, Greece or Columbia I’d fancy that.

Groups B And G both look like crackers!

Participant
    • Total Posts 841

Compared to the alternatives this draw was a worse case scenario. England look good against rubbish or mediocre teams, against the big boys we are poor, very poor. I don’t usually get too excited about world cups from an England perspective, from a football fan perspective it’s the best competition. However 2014 I will be cheering on England with patriotism as I want Gerrard’s last World Cup to be special as he is a special player.

I’d be worried if Hodgson plays the likes of Cleverley, Walker, Henderson, Smalling, Jones, Defoe and others who aren’t top class. I’d piss myself though if something happneded to Hart and Ruddy has to face Suarez. You’re right that Uruguay have a lethal strike force but ageing limbs at the back. Italy are better then us and I would put my money on them coming top the group with either us or Uruguay occupying second.

Think the Brazilians and Germans have better squads then the Spanish, usually when domestic teams dominate Europe their national teams win a World Cup or do very well. Italy in 2006 when AC Milan were top dogs, Spain in 2010 when Peps Barcelona were unstoppable, 2002 Germany were runners up with strong domestic teams, when United won their first European cup two years after England won their first World Cup. So I’d expect Germany to have a strong chance, I think Germany have to play Spain early on if they both qualify which should happen.

Seabiscuits
    • Total Posts 9

With Falcao’s status for the world cup up in the air now, Group c is looking rather weak and is completely up in the air. Also, its amazing how unbalanced the groups turned out to be this time. It sure creates headlines, and should be very fun to watch, but a few countries almost have passes into the knockout phase.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.