The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Workforce!

Home Forums Horse Racing Workforce!

Viewing 4 posts - 69 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Pru
    I don’t do sectionals as a matter of course, just when I think my eyes may have been deceived, and haven’t made any comparisons with other races at the course.

Drone
    Fair question,and I’m sure someone like robert99 would give you a more informed answer, but my guess would be that horses would let themselves down equally as well, given a good cover of grass (i.e. no more impact because of the cushioning effect, but without the loss of traction caused by more forgiving ground). SMS did say that Workforce wouldn’t run unless he considered the ground safe, and it might be worth noting they were also racing on a fresh strip of ground.

Mr W.
    With all due respect to your obvious hard work, it’s pretty pointless taking the time of one horse for the first part of the race, the time of another for another, and using both together to say it was a strong pace?
    The pacemaker was clearly in a diffferent race to most of the others for much of the way.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Mr W.
    With all due respect to your obvious hard work, it’s pretty pointless taking the time of one horse for the first part of the race, the time of another for another, and using both together to say it was a strong pace?
    The pacemaker was clearly in a diffferent race to most of the others for much of the way.

The question I was trying to solve was the debate on how At First Sight set a slow pace up a stiff climbs then quickend for home which was proven to be false as he’s run the quickest first 7f on the videos I could manage to find. He may well of been in a difference race but that don’t take away from the fact he’s still having an impact on the final time of the race and the final time of the race is in serious question. If I start timing the winners from that point what is it going to tell us? nothing more than jockey tactics and you don’t need a stop watch to see who the best finisher is going to be either.

in fact ive got plenty of time on my hands today and im going to time every winner from that spot to the finish line/

brb

Participant
    • Total Posts 6011

Fair question,and I’m sure someone like robert99 would give you a more informed answer, but my guess would be that horses would let themselves down equally as well, given a good cover of grass (i.e. no more impact because of the cushioning effect, but without the loss of traction caused by more forgiving ground). SMS did say that Workforce wouldn’t run unless he considered the ground safe, and it might be worth noting they were also racing on a fresh strip of ground.

Yep, I too would value Robert99’s opinions

The effect of grass cover particularly the lush, sappy and dense sward of an English Spring is yet another variable worthy of consideration

The condensing and rationalisation of time and speed into numerical figures as an adjunct and alternative directly comparable with the form student’s (handicapper’s) subjective ‘pounds per length’ or whatever may add weight (no pun intended) and credence to the latter but wholly objective it ain’t – just somewhat less subjective…though valuable nevertheless

IMHO

you know it don’t come easy

• Total Posts 19

Mr Wilson,

Thanks for the speed information on the Derby. Very informative!

Viewing 4 posts - 69 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.