The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Wimbledon 2009 – Can Murray Win It?

Home Forums General Sports Wimbledon 2009 – Can Murray Win It?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    TheOneAndOnlyTonyMcCoy
    • Total Posts 202

Imo, i just cant see him winning it. Dont asky why but i dont. I think that lay of the tournament could be Mr Djokovic. My Selection would be Federer and although only EVENS, must be a good bet. Views please? :)

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Federer for me.

When on top form, he is different class from any other player on the planet – especially on grass.

Borg, McEnroe and Agassi ( three former champs) have described Roger Federer as the greatest tennis player ever.

I agree.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

I’m definitely not normally an "open your wallet, here comes a favourite that won’t get beat" type of guy, but the more I think about this the more Federer at 6/5 (Extrabet) seems like finding money in the street.

The contrasts between this year and last are vast, mostly in psychological terms. In 2008, Federer came into Wimbledon off a humbling by Nadal at Roland Garros, with that rival having won Queens and grown in stature on the the surface before our very eyes. This year, Nadal’s lost his title in Paris and hasn’t had as good a prep to say the least, whilst the Swiss is probably still on cloud 9 from winning the French, and is generally playing better.
    Chances are that the rest of the hopefuls aren’t good enough or represent poor value (I was impressed by Murray at Queens, but asking 11/4 is definitely a bridge too far in this era awash with simply legendary talent), so, as much as him and I have had our differences in the past, I can’t see beyond Federer.

Pompete
    • Total Posts 2391

I would like to see Murray win.

I’ve been impressed with his growing maturity and the continual improvment in his he overall game. He’s hard work alone should be rewarded with a Wimbledon Crown. But, I fear he most certainly won’t win (for the reasons above) this year and may never – which would be a shame, but the great thing about sport is that none of really every know.

Danny
    • Total Posts 790

Nadal for me.

Murray will just about make it to the quarters.

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

Yes, Murray CAN win it.

Murray has carried on improving physically, mentally and technically since last year and his style as a counter puncher suits his game on grass perfectly. The ease with which he won at queens was ridiculous and although rarely tested, still had a gear or two if needed. The essence of his triumph was really impressive and you couldn’t fail to be taken by the total control he had over his game – and everybody else’s – on this surface. If he avoids Federer’s half of the draw he’ll be in the final as he’s is the only realistic threat to Murray this year…or maybe that should be the other way round :wink:

I’m a fan of Nadal and he done me nice turn in the Aussie Open but his participation still isn’t certain at this point; even if he does turn up he’d be the lay of all lays IMVHO. He’ll kill himself to be able to defend his title but his body just wont let him do it.

A cheeky bet would be the gutless server that is Roddick :wink:

Steerforth
    • Total Posts 122

I was thinking yesterday of taking the risk on Nadal’s fitness and covering on Federer at just better than evens. Those two against the field looked pretty safe to me. I’ve just looked at the market today and they’re now offering 14.5 for Nadal :shock:

He was 5.9 yesterday. Nadal is likely to face Hewitt in round two and has Murray in his half; still, I’m no tennis expert but that is a crazy price surely. Have further fitness doubts emerged or is this purely down to the tough-ish draw Nadal has?

Steerforth
    • Total Posts 122

Still drifting – 16.0 now on Betfair. That’s too good to be true and therefore I’m not touching it :lol:

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Doubtful whether Nadal will take part this year or not.

sberry
    • Total Posts 1800

Of course he can win it, that is a fact beyond doubt and evidenced by his world ranking, current form and short price with the bookies.

In his favour Nadal is possibly out through injury, Fed is not on the up-slope any more and Murray has home advantage.

The correct question is

will he win it?

that is a different kettle of fish altogether….

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

Nadal’s out then.

This is starting to have a look of fate about it now…..it could happen.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8373

I’m gutted that Nadal’s out; my favourite player in a long time and was really looking forward to the next couple of weeks. Good luck to Murray; changed my opinion of him last year…think he’s grow up mentally as well as physically and think this year could be his. I’m afraid that I’m beginning to find Federer as boring as Sampras these days.[wrong of me to say that; he’s not a crash bang wallop boring player at all; I’m just biased because I like Nadal so much].

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6217

The first time I saw Andrew Murray my thought was that he looked like a winner. He was 17 then, and has done nothing since to suggest that my initial feeling was off the mark. I have no doubt he will win Wimbledon. I’m not totally convinced it will be this year as I suspect Roger Federer may still have his measure on grass, but in that case I’m sure Murray’s turn will only be delayed.

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

I don’t think Murray will ever win a grand slam title.

Those words may come back to haunt me at a later date.

Danny
    • Total Posts 790

I’d agree with that. I especially don’t think he’ll ever win Wimbledon due to the mountain of pressure he is under every time he plays :!:

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

I’m as pessimistic as they come, but with Murray having 5 years on Federer and Nadal not being the same player on hard courts, I’d be more than a tad surprised if he wasn’t to win at least an Australian or (more likely IMO) a US Open- fitness permitting, of course.

As for the more immediate future, I’m not encouraged by what I saw today. Even allowing for Kendrick playing out of his skin, the Murray we saw today wasn’t the same player that won Queens. At few points did he look totally in control, as he did against better players the other week, and his serve seemed his saving grace from what I saw.

Goldikova
    • Total Posts 1537

If i were English i wouldn’t be bothered if Andy Murray won the thing to be honest. Very much in the same way that i think it would be pointless Scots celebrating if Timothy Henman won it. The home nations should be single entitys in every sport.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.