The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

william hill gold cup

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion william hill gold cup

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5946

Good race, no idea who’ll win and no idea how to price it up. Best left to the paddock watchers on course to part with money.

The new season’s betting boots have been polished and gently broken in during October ready for the long march starting in November and finishing in May.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9199

Ah – the beloved Associates! I might dig out my old 12 inch later (sounds like you dug yours out a few years ago GH!).

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Impek is not a bad price at current 8.6 given that he is a Gr1 horse (I know he hasn’t actually won a Gr1 but he is competitive at that level) and it will be an emotional day for connections. The trip is a worry though.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

It’s difficult enough knowing how the race is going to be run, never mind worling out what will be fit enough on the day. Plenty of the field have a history of going from the front whilst they also have form being held up. Impek and Hoo La Baloo in particular fall into this category. I have a feeling this might be a shade too far for Dempsey who is likely to prove best with an emphasis on speed ay 2m.

For what it’s worth I’ve had a speculative interest on Chilling Place. He goes well here fresh and as very well handicapped on his form with Racing Demon from this meeting last year.

I will be throwing a few quid at Charlies Future in the 3.40. He’s the sort of horse I expect to improve this year, joing Robert Alner from from the S. C (Simon?) Burrough yard. Alner is in good nick whilst Burrough hasn’t had a winner since Charlies Future won in March 2005 and a losing run of 130+.

(Edited by davidjohnson at 1:57 pm on Oct. 31, 2006)

Salselon
    • Total Posts 883

Agree it’s very hard to know who’ll be fit, etc and of course Chilling Plac is very well handicapped based on that race from last year.

However, taking potential improvement into consideration, I think Racing Demon is a cracking each way bet at 4.9 win/2.05 pl or so on BF. Would be surprised if he finished out of first 3.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Impek has been fit enough to win fto on a few occasions, his owner has won this race 3 times in the past, distance shouldn’t be too much of a problem, given his Huntingdon romp over not much further, and has the Champ on board to ensure no hanging about. Looks the likely winner to me.<br>I can’t see that Racing Demon will be at his best for this, given that he was pencilled in for a trot around Carlisle until the going went against him.

Zebra
    Participant
    • Total Posts 74

I would go for a modest each way on Green Tango

LUKE
    • Total Posts 271

A very tricky race.I cant see any horse that I would want to lay at current odds.

• Total Posts 302

Henrieta has farmed this race in the past and as such i just can’t see past Racing demon, who i hope will improve into a top performer this year. Dempsey may be a little too keen on this first run who i see coming 2nd after running out of petrol or maybe just getting collared by a staying on Impek.

The rest i don’t think are good enough.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9199

Well done the Impek followers.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Once again, Racing Demon’s tendency to jump right leaves me out of pocket :angry:

Participant
    • Total Posts 5946

Quote: from davidjohnson on 1:52 pm on Oct. 31, 2006[br]<br>I will be throwing a few quid at Charlies Future in the 3.40. He’s the sort of horse I expect to improve this year, joing Robert Alner from from the S. C (Simon?) Burrough yard. Alner is in good nick whilst Burrough hasn’t had a winner since Charlies Future won in March 2005 and a losing run of 130+.<br>

Echo that DJ, I’m on at 9.01. Also requested 7.0 Notanotherdonkey but noo chance I think

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Quote: from davidjohnson on 1:52 pm on Oct. 31, 2006[br]<br>I will be throwing a few quid at Charlies Future in the 3.40. He’s the sort of horse I expect to improve this year, joing Robert Alner from from the S. C (Simon?) Burrough yard. Alner is in good nick whilst Burrough hasn’t had a winner since Charlies Future won in March 2005 and a losing run of 130+.<br>

<br>Simon Burrough it is, DJ, he of Just So riding fame. In addition to his losing streak (or maybe because of it), he was removed from his West Buckland base in August and the last I read – in the Sportsman shortly after – was still a trainer possessing neither a yard nor horses.

Jeremy<br>(graysonscolumn)<br>

(Edited by graysonscolumn at 4:17 pm on Oct. 31, 2006)

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Quote: from davidbrady on 1:45 pm on Oct. 31, 2006[br]Impek is not a bad price at current 8.6

It’s amazing how, even after a 7.22/1 winner, you can get frustrated cos the SP was bigger!

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Quote: from cormack15 on 1:39 pm on Oct. 31, 2006[br]Ah – the beloved Associates! I might dig out my old 12 inch later (sounds like you dug yours out a few years ago GH!).<br>

<br>I have a shower<br>then phone my brother up<br>Within the hour<br>I’ll break another cup<br>Oh please stop saying that<br>or I’ll start believing you<br>If I start believing you<br>I’ll know that this party fears two…. etc.

Where else but on TRF would you get classic 80s pop lyrics on a thread about a Graded steeplechase? Quality stuff.

Jeremy<br>(graysonscolumn)<br>

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

• Total Posts 190

Haven’t seen the race, but was this another example of team tactics?

According to Cornelius and the boys on 5Live, it seemed that Chilling Place was closing in only to be "taken out" by a riderless Racing Demon. Fed up of being wrapped up in his supposed cotton wool, the "Demon" lived up to his name by helping his stablemate to an easy win.

Isn’t it about time that trainers were punished for teaching their horses these dirty tricks?

Participant
    • Total Posts 5946

Quote: from graysonscolumn on 4:16 pm on Oct. 31, 2006[br]

<br>Simon Burrough it is, DJ, he of Just So riding fame

Remember him best for his association with the Killeshin-like Bally Lira who he ‘trained’ to win at 40/1 in the mud at Chepstow having taken over the licence from Pat Rodford and jocking himself off in favour of Liam Cummins.

What happened to Cummins? an underestimated rider IMO.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.