The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Wigmore Hall

Home Forums Memorials Wigmore Hall

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 616

Suspected broken leg in 4.25 at Doncaster.

....and you've got to look a long way back for anything else.

BlackGold
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1487

Sadly confirmed he’s been put to sleep.

http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-ra … t7DaysNews

RIP Wigmore Hall.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16968

A name that I never believed would appear here in this sad way. What a wonderful old campaigner he was and will be sadly missed.
    RIP old friend so sad that it had to be this way but you went doing what you loved most.
    Hope they may name a race in his honour. :cry: :cry:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

+1 on it being the ‘Wigmore Hall Northern Dancer Turf Stakes’ for at least one year! It’s very unlikely, but would be a nice touch.

Jamie Spencer gets some flak from all of us, but Wigmore Hall was made for his riding style. Usually missing the break by a few lengths, Spencer wouldn’t panic and always settled the big gelding very nicely.

RIP Wigmore Hall. The Bell yard must be crushed.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16968

Really hope they do name that race in his memory YTF and that it would be a permanent fixture not just for a year.
    Dear Wigmore Hall your name should live on.

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    linnet
    Participant
    • Total Posts 101

Really horrible accident whilst squashed between horse, such a bad end after such a long and fruitful career. Condolences to all of his connections they must be absolutely gutted. He will be greatly missed.

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1932

I hope no-one reads the Daily Mirror as the front page tomorrow shows his last moments from behind the screens.

An absolute disgrace

RubyLight
    • Total Posts 320

I`ve never seen such scenes before. Made me think about a bit more.
    Why is there no injection? Only criminals are shot in the head.
    Poor horse. Meets his end with three total strangers in front of him and in extreme pain and distress. Not a nice way to leave this planet since he was innocent his entire life.
    You see, it really made me think about it. And is it bad? NO

Bonanzaboy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 473

I may be wrong but from what I’ve understood previously the gun is used because it’s the quickest, most reliable and least painful. Apparently injection needs a massive dose, can take time and sometimes needs a second dose.

I’m no expert so that could be wrong, just what I’ve understood from the people I know within racing and from horse owners I know.

Personally I think that, if the horse can’t be saved, then relieving his suffering is more important than waiting for familiar people to arrive.

And I’m not sure what the Mirror intended – this is hardly ‘investigative’ – it happened in the public eye and it’s known how the horses are euthanized. What they’ve done is show the actual event for a purpose I don’t understand.

And really – did Wigmore Hall’s connections need that? Presumably they’re already upset at losing him.

For anyone who’s interested, Michael Bell has issued a statement. It’s on his website.

Bonanzaboy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 473

RubyLight – I must refresh your memory if you think you haven’t seen such things before. I refer you to May this year and your comments regarding the unfortunate Nedzers Return

Sad and unpleasant though that was however, at least he wasn’t completely stripped of dignity like Wigmore was, although maybe that’s debateable.

As an aside, the Animal Aid description of Wigmore Hall’s life makes it sound like one of unrelenting cruelty. I’m hoping their version of his career is incorrect.

Wigmore Hall was a lovely horse and I’ve been extremely upset this week about his death and all this fuss seems to have given him a fame he probably wouldn’t want.

RubyLight
    • Total Posts 320

@ Bonanzaboy: You are right about Nedzers Return.
    But that was an incident brought to light by the racing industy itself – in this case ATR. So we didn`t mind that apparently, since there was no outcry in the media.
    In this case however you are confronted with the sad facts on the front page of a newspaper. Of course that kind of coverage isn`t necessary, no doubt about that. But the more you look at it, the more you start to think.
    If a horse has to be put down and it has to be shot, why is the jockey not with it? Without the horses jockeys wouldn`t earn a penny. So I think, it is a matter of good behaviour and charakter not to leave the main athlete alone without any moral support while it is just about to be shot. In my opinion Adam Kirby acted like a coward.
    Plus the article wasn`t too bad for racing. One fatality from over 1,500 runners this year shows how safe (at least flat) racing has become.
    And if a horse has to beput down it would be nice to see some of the people connected with it stand by. 2f from away from the stands is not a big distance.

Bonanzaboy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 473

I understood Adam Kirby was there.

RubyLight
    • Total Posts 320

Sorry, but he was nowhere near the horse when it mattered. The pictures make it probably a lot worse. But let`s face it, it costs nothing to be there till the end.

Bonanzaboy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 473

I think Animalaid said he was leaning against the fence. And of course they’re never wrong.

linnet
    Participant
    • Total Posts 101

Absolutely disgusting that the newspaper published those pictures just a week after the event, with the connections of the horse still reeling from their loss.
    The horse suffering from the most traumatic injury on this occasion was put down in the quickest and most humane way. Unfortunately as we know not all injured race horses receive such prompt attention.

RubyLight
    • Total Posts 320

The description of his career was a bit disgraceful too.
    Of course he ran it other climate conditions when he went to Singapore or Canada. But he won twice at G1 level and that was never mentioned.

Bonanzaboy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 473

Agree entirely linnet. But the non racing public who in the main know nothing about it will have plenty to say. And everyone – except me – will continue to buy the paper.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.