The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

WHY WHY WHY?

Home Forums Horse Racing WHY WHY WHY?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Forgive the outburst but I backing Harrington at 29.0 on Betfair on Thursday morning only to lay him off at the same price last night because I thought he wouldn’t pull the 6 shots back. Why oh why do I persist in laying back after having a bet. At Cheltenham, I backed 6 horses ante-post and layed 2 of them off on the day (at a lower price). They were the only 2 which won. The wife doesn’t really understand so here goes:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

I feel your pain DB, luckily I didn’t lay him back! Go on Pod ya good ting!

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Going off the title of this thread, I was assuming a Tom Jones singalong was in full flow.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

…………..d’yer lie there?

dandan
    • Total Posts 199

True story:

Sitting at the college computers a few years ago, extolling the virtues of newly-found Betfair to a good mate and fellow punter.

"It’s mad, you can back a horse at a price, and lay it off at a lower price, essentially giving you a free bet! Check out these two for example – I’ve backed one at 18/1 and the other at 11/1, and I’ve a pretty strong feeling they’ll both contract in price, so I’ve laid them off at 14/1 and 7/1 for two free bets at 4/1!"

He looked at me, half impressed, half suggesting "you smartarse!" – and we watched later on as both bets were successfully matched at the shorter odds, before scuttling across to the bookies.

They both won and I haven’t done same since. :oops:

Jim JTS
    • Total Posts 841

This thread should be in the "all other sports and specials" part of the forum as it”s not about racing.

Other than that Sergio Garcia threw it away and deserved to win :cry:

highflyer1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 211

Agreed JimJTS. Who the hell wants to know what davidbrady did or didn’t back or lay. Can I suggest that he confines his posts to the Betfair forum, where he clearly belongs. This forum, which used to be excellent, has suffered enough dumbing down in the last last few months.

Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

Who the hell wants to know what davidbrady did or didn’t back or lay

I find people’s betting patterns fascinating and there aren’t enough discussions about this aspect of the sport. It’s all speed ratings, big races and merits of horses. Can’t wait for the AW so we can get the AW threads running again. They were great fun and often interactive.

I’ve meddled with all three activities on BF and I felt this was excellent seedcorn for a topic. Does one back? Does one lay? Or does one do the sensible thing and trade dual options.

To trade though, it’s best to park your imagination on the doorstep. And your will to live. Trading is about as interesting as dropping grains of salt one by one into your eyeballs.

So db. Don’t bother laying off. Do a Harry F! Back them AGAIN next time!

Can I suggest that he confines his posts to the Betfair forum, where he clearly belongs

Actually, the tone of your post suggests you, highflyer1,would be better off posting at the other place rather than db, who tells a good joke on occasion and is well known for his good humour towards fellow forumites. He can post what he likes, I would imagine.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

This thread should be in the "all other sports and specials" part of the forum as it”s not about racing.

As far as I am aware, Cheltenham is about racing or did you just read a little bit of the thread and use the opportunity to knock the forum again. Perhaps you would be better off trying to attract members to your own forum, Jim, and stick to that instead of constantly moaning about this one.

Appreciate the support Max, as I had hoped the the thread would prove the catalyst for a discussion more about the pros and cons of laying back or letting the bet ride etc.

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

I really don’t agree with this criticism at all. Fair enough, perhaps this thread should be in another section, but to accuse Davidbrady of being a low-life Betfair forumite is grossly unfair. He’s been one of the most upstanding patrons I’ve come across, and is never one to moan abot the current ‘dumbing-down’ of the board or pine for the ‘good old days’. Also, I find threads on how people traded quite interesting, and also relevant to a board like this. We as racing fans (or fans of sport in general) now have the chance to have a small shot at being the bookie, and discussing how we approach such scenarios and how or why we back or lay is a great way of sparking a good discussion.

Back on-topic, I tried to do a bit of trading yesterday, as it worked for me in the Masters and US Open. What a day to pick! :shock: I was originally up on Garcia, then layed off a bit when Romero charged, then got on Harrington, jumped back to Garcia, and finally got back on Harrington in the playoff, eventually making a pittance to the tune of £7.95! Not much for 2 hours work!

Black Sam Bellamy
    • Total Posts 441

Did anyone expect Garcia to hold his bottle on the last round ? Backing him in a major is like watching Rose Davidson in a driving finish at Sedgfield. Agonising.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

"Not much for 2 hours work!"

……but can you really call it work, surely you were getting some entertainment from the exercise, Friggo?

Colin

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

"Not much for 2 hours work!"

……but can you really call it work, surely you were getting some entertainment from the exercise, Friggo?

Colin

True. Exactly the same reason why I work for Hills. They pay me for what pretty much amounts to watching the sport and laughing at junkies. :mrgreen:

FlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

I suppose it does sound like a rant to some extent, but if the title was backing to lay – does it work? with your unfortunate experiences in then nothing would be thought of it.

And if we are on the subject of golf rants, Harrington was the one i crossed of my list of 4 I was going to back at the last minute :) Another job well done lol.

I suppose backing to lay depends to some extent to what stakes you are backing. I kind of like the free bet theory when you lay it off, but I´ve been thinking what if you lay it off to remove ALL profit if it wins, but to make a tidy sum if it loses. That might defeat the theory of backing it in the first place if you fancy it, but if your backing on value I think it might be the way to go for me anyway. (Considering my selections never win anyway lol)

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

FSL – Obviously I would have laid off at less than 29 if I had that option but I didn’t. I made the lay decision on Saturday night based on the fact that, IMO, Harrington would have had to shoot close to a course record to get back into contention while Sergio would also have to have had a bad day.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.