The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Why is AP rated higher than Ruby…makes no sense?

Home Forums Horse Racing Why is AP rated higher than Ruby…makes no sense?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 1511

Surely Grade 1’s and big races are a test of a jockey not midweek rubbish when the pressure is not on.

For Instance Karabak was a dreadful ride along with Binocular at last years festival….Ruby Walsh gets 7 festival winners at barely makes the front page.

I dont think i will ever see a better rider that Ruby Walsh….he is miles clear in my book of any other rider out there when it comes to the crunch.

His rides on Moskova and Martin rogue the past few weeks could be some of the best i am ever likely to see. All the horses he rides have long careers(no concidence)….he has a decent personality unlike others…He is smashing records every year….winning big race winners every week and never making a mistake, He also shows his humain side by catching and staying with injured horses or hacking them back(earth planet yesterday). He also is more commited to racing than any other. Travels more than any other jockey and rides out nearly every morning for some trainer in ireland and for Nicholls.

Surely this guy who is on the TV more than any other Jockey in History at prime time view on CH4,BBC,RTE should be the face of racing and not AP.

Its simply does not make sense to me that he is not considered the best rider at the moment.

Am i the only one?

jumpsfan
    Participant
    • Total Posts 109

He is the best rider. AP can be brilliant but he has a fair few bad rides, Paddy Brennan (not just yesterday) is a consistently talented jock and Geraghty is right up there and there seems to be a lot of good youngsters coming through .Scholfield and Toole have had great runs of form and Popham is having his now.

When you see Walsh riding like he did on Twist Magic you see why he’s the best. AP was also good on Somersby but Walsh makes it look easy. His riding of Pocquelin in all his races this year is also testament to his jockeyship.

• Total Posts 1511

Agreed…Jumps fan.

I also believe the likes of Paul Townend , Timmy Murphy and Barry are more talented than AP not to mention Carberry.

I just struggle to see how there is such a bias towards AP….

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Both great jocks but Ruby Walsh is more of the Al Capone , does things in style on the best horses winning by the furthest distances whilst AP is more off a traveller, loves a fight and will give 50-1 chances same effort as odds on shot.

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Strike Rates in UK so far:

Geraghty 39%
    Walsh 31%
    McCoy is in the late 20% I think.

• Total Posts 1511

People seem to say he is the Greatest Ever

Why does he not jock off other horses in the big races when he is avalible. He only got part of the Henderson job which i think indicates that there are plenty of jockeys just as good as McCoy. We may say he is with Jonjo but Henderson generally is a fri-sun man where jonjo is midweek.

Maybe in NH its different to Flat but i am not so sure.

katabatic
    • Total Posts 17

The Ruby/AP argument is irrelevant because peoples opinion’s will always differ, the definitive answer is the jockeys championship.
    And like it or not its done on the amount of winners not the standard of winners.
    No reflection on Ruby but AP wins hands down !

jumpsfan
    Participant
    • Total Posts 109

Something just occurred to me … why does Walsh never ride for anyone other than Nicholls?

I’d like to see him ride for less fashionable stables then there would be a clear comparison.

• Total Posts 2184

Something just occurred to me … why does Walsh never ride for anyone other than Nicholls?

Eh? Willie Mullins, Tony Martin, Ted Walsh, Tom Mullins, Noel Meade, Gordon Elliot, Paul Nolan, Liam Burke etc. Ruby rides for plenty of other yards.

Regarding Wally’s opening question, I don’t think AP is rated higher over here in Ireland but we see Ruby plying his trade on a regular basis whereas McCoy doesn’t ride over here as much as he used to a few years back.

• Total Posts 1511

Yes without doubt Imperial….AP McCoy certainly is not rated anywhere as highly as he is in England over here.

Ruby
    Barry

are top dogs.

Does Ruby Champion jockey in Ireland not count?…maybe if the rest actually tried it would be more competitive for me.

I still struggle to see why the media have such a affinity towards him….maybe the regular joe with his day to day but why big print media when he hardly ever wins big rcces

• Total Posts 2184

Being retained by JP certainly isn’t a help to McCoy’s chances of winning big races. JP, great and all for the game that he is, simply doesn’t have enough top-quality horses in top-quality yards. There are signs over the past few years that he wants this to change though by putting more horses in training with the likes of Henderson (Binocular), King (Karabak), Meade (Jered), Mullins (Arbor Supreme) etc. He is loyal to certain smaller trainers around Ireland and England but I think he’ll have to focus more on the top yards if he is to plunder more of the top prizes.

Enda Bolger for Jackdaw’s Castle so! :wink:

• Total Posts 1511

JP McManus has nobody to blame but himself….he breed’s more and more of his own and its clear they are not just bad but pure awful Horses.

If he did was Harry Findlay has done and bought up Irish Pointers for big money he be in clover now….i cant underestimate the effect Harry Findlay has had on Irish Points he is simply loved for his support of them as is Paul Barber and to a lesser extent Johnson/Wylie

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

The Ruby/AP argument is irrelevant because peoples opinion’s will always differ, the definitive answer is the jockeys championship.

It’s hardly definitive when, if you calculated it on prize money then you would get a different result. In one set or circumstances I’d prefer McCoy on a horse, faced with a different set I’d prefer Walsh, but in truth, I’d rather have neither because they both tend to be overbet.

• Total Posts 2184

JP McManus has nobody to blame but himself….he breed’s more and more of his own and its clear they are not just bad but pure awful Horses.

If he did was Harry Findlay has done and bought up Irish Pointers for big money he be in clover now….i cant underestimate the effect Harry Findlay has had on Irish Points he is simply loved for his support of them as is Paul Barber and to a lesser extent Johnson/Wylie

Some of the purchases over the past few years have been very questionable. Apparently Frank Berry has a big input into this. We could probably start a seperate thread of dud purchases!

Ouste stands out a mile! Franchoek, L’Ami, even The Hurl today – I can’t understand why they’ve bought him, just because he beat "the great galloping giraffe" Judge Roy Bean?

• Total Posts 1511

Yes….if he actually tried and to support P2P not only would it be a massive benefit to small farmers and trainer of p2p but to himself.

Surely he knows there isnt a better horse than a Irish P2P winner.

Thus we digress!!!! :D

• Total Posts 1511

David Johnson you are perfectly happy with Timmy Murphy over both :D

• Total Posts 262

What AP has achieved will never be equalled,IMO.

BTW,already another thread on this,and on this very page.

horse-racing/mccoy-walsh-t80335.html

My reply from above thread…

Ruby may have given up his spleen for the sport,but AP gives us all his guts and heart to every ride.

In short… AP

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.