The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Who was the oldest flat group one winning horse?

Home Forums Horse Racing Who was the oldest flat group one winning horse?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 19

In the world? In the UK? Thanks

Avatar photoThe Tatling Cheekily
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

Bahamian Pirate is the one who sprung to my mind. Won the Nunthorpe at 9yo.

BUY THE SUN

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3142

Being that horses in the sprint and staying divisions stay in training for much longer the first horses that came to mind were those warrior 10 yr olds Persian Punch (Goodwood & Jockey Club Cups) & Further Flight (Doncaster Cup) but then I realised that all those races were G2s.

Outside of the UK both Kasbah Bliss (Prix Du Cadran) & John Henry (Arlington Million) were 9 yr olds when they won.

Mincamus
    Participant
    • Total Posts 221

Yavana’s Pace won the Grosser Preis von Bayern at 10

Seasider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 773

Yavana’s Pace won the Credit Suisse Private Banking Pokal (Group 1) at Cologne for Mark Johnston in 2002 aged 10.

Seasider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 773

For clarity, in 2012 the Credit Suisse Private Banking Pokal was moved from Cologne to Munich and renamed the Grosser Preis von Bayern.

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1612

Also Alcazar won the French St Leger aged 10 in 2005. So joint oldest Group 1 winner and oldest Classic winner I believe.

Avatar photoThe Tatling Cheekily
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

I never knew the Prix Royal Oak was considered the French Leger / a Classic.

Learn sumat new every day!

BUY THE SUN

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1612

Much like the Irish version, now it is open to older horses I would imagine there is some debate about whether it’s really a Classic now. But it is traditionally the “French St Leger” anyway!

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3142

Personally I would argue the merits of it being labelled a Classic as that term is strictly designed for the 3 yr old generation and as such the year it was opened up to older horse should have been the moment it lost Classic status.

That being said the responses to this thread clearly shows that given the right horse, age is no barrier to winning at the very top flight.

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1612

Extending this theme, has a horse ever won any Group race aged over 10? Honourable mentions for Caracciola who won a Listed race at 12, and Take Cover who won one at 11.

Participant
    • Total Posts 19

Thanks to everyone for replies.
    And I’d like to find out what Marlingford asked too :)

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12998

Being old fashioned I don’t think geldings should be allowed to run in Pattern races (which are meant to be about identifying elite horses, colts, fillies and mares to breed from).

I would be interested to know the oldest entire and/or mare to win a Group 1.

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1612

Personally I think Pattern races should just be about identifying the best horses, and have no issue with them being open to geldings. Even if the gelding can’t be bred from there’s a good chance their sire and dam will still be around.

Interesting questions Ian; I expect the lure of the breeding shed means that these ages are considerably lower. Oldest I can think of are My Best Valentine (entire, won a Group 1 aged 8) and Winx (mare, won a Group 1 aged 7 using southern hemisphere ages). Far from certain they are the oldest though.

My Best Valentine certainly had an interesting career as he won the Prix de L’Abbaye in 1998 on his 73rd and final start. He even had a couple of runs over hurdles earlier on.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.