The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Who is the best flat jock of recent times?

Home Forums Horse Racing Who is the best flat jock of recent times?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

A pleasing list.  I wus just watching the great Eclipses of recent years and was wondering as a result.  <br>If you can make a case for another, feel free.

Arazi
    • Total Posts 263

Frankie Dettori is a bit of a glaring omission. He’d be ahead of G.Duffield, J.Murtagh & J.Spencer for me and personally he’s as good a jockey as most of the others on that list IMO.

If I owned a top class race horse and had the choice of any jockey around I would pick Frankie to ride it. I know most other people would pick Keiran Fallon and believe me I’d still be really confident with him on board. However, out of the two I’d go for Frankie.

The best I saw from that list would probably be Steve Cauthen. A superb judge of pace that guy had.

I never saw much of Lester Piggott and Bill Shoemaker, they were a bit before my time  but I suppose those two would get the most votes normally.

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

Dettori was at No.11 in the poll, but there were only 10 spaces :biggrin: <br>I personally rate Dettori, but it helps when you have the most powerful force in racing in your corner to buy up all the best bloodstock for you to ride.  Of course, that doesn’t detract from his ability at all.<br>Is a jock’s ability defined by what he can get out of merely average horses, as well as the best horses money can buy?  Who knows.  <br>For me, on ability alone, Dettori would have a few above him.  On a ratio of winners to rides however, he would be high up there.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

In my opinion Lester is the best of all times based on his record of classis winners and total winners.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 438

Quote: from Racing Daily on 1:10 pm on July 8, 2006[br]….but it helps when you have the most powerful force in racing in your corner to buy up all the best bloodstock for you to ride.

<br>Why’s Fallon on the list, then?

Cauthen for me, narrowly ahead of Piggott and Eddery.

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1981

A pleasing list? Ten jockeys quoted and you leave out the odds-on jolly!

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

HeHeHe

I too voted Cauthen EC.  He was second to Piggott only IMO, but Piggott was a poker faced old git so I prefer Stevie :)

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Bloody hell EC. do you have to put a number to everything?

Pity your wife… ;)

Not sure we can really call Piggot "recent times" but ist gratifying to see that most on here agree that SC was the best.

A genius judge of pace

Frankie is a silly ommission. I know hes annoying but so ius Carson (not in frankies class either) :o

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

The most wonderful poker face that ever sat on a race horse. How many jockeys will drop their whip and snatch another jockey’s and justify it by saying "he didn’t need it, he was not going to win anyway".

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

Imo, it isn’t something one can put numbers on, as such a lot depends on retainers, riding weight, form, fashion, etc, and, of the top jockeys, only LP regularly won the championship as a freelance and riding toward the top end of the weights, (Often 9st then, if memory serves).<br> Another way to judge would be number of losers they should have won on, not something you could tabulate, but my guess would be that KF would be in the very  low numbers along with LP, though SC would be the daddy of them all.<br> Pat Eddery, though he usually had strong retainers, imo got boxed in far too often, even in small fields, and his ride on Dushyantor in the Derby remains as one of the worst I have ever seen from a top jockey, at least on a par with Bosra Sham.

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

Yep, I agree.  Frankie is a shocking omission.  It’s weird how the most obvious choice is sometimes the easiest to forget.  Dettori should be on the list, even if he is not Cauthen’s superior ;)

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

The measure of Piggott was the fact that he could come back from three years stir and win a Breeders Cup in his 50s.  Unbelievable horseman, even if he was not the easiest man to be friends with.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 438

Quote: from reet hard on 7:28 pm on July 8, 2006[br]… his ride on Dushyantor in the Derby remains as one of the worst I have ever seen from a top jockey, at least on a par with Bosra Sham.<br>

<br>Think that you’re being a bit harsh on old Pat there. I backed Dushyantor (at 33s ante-post) and was fuming when I saw him come from so far behind; like you, i thought that Eddery had ridden a stinker. However, watching the race again a few days later, once I had calmed down, it became apparent that the colt was unable to go the early pace and lacked the "tactical speed" to take up a good position. Eddery did as well as he could but Dushyantor simply couldn’t go fast enough to win a Derby.

Now, if you want to talk about El Gran Senor……

:D

SirHarryLewis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1208

he gave some bad ones did Eddery…

Alot of names missing from the  list anyway…Gary Stevens, Mick Kinane, Yves St. Martin etc etc.  I dont think Dettori is that great.

SHL

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

Yquem

Eddery lost the Derby in the first 4 furlongs on Dushyantor.<br> With a favourable inside draw in the 20 runner field, he somehow contrived to get the horse onto the outside,, barging into other runners at least twice in the process, and when they switched to the offside, he converted his still reasonable position into a hopeless one by more injudicious horsemanship.<br> I had a tidy double riding on him with Lady Carla, who had won the previous day’s Oaks, and agonised with every error he made that day.<br> Don’t know if it’s true, but rumour has it he once rode in a walk-over, and got boxed in behind the ambulance.;)  Wonderful jockey!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.