The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Whip regulations and the courtroom.

Home Forums Horse Racing Whip regulations and the courtroom.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    MDeering
    • Total Posts 1688

Has there ever been a case, in which owners of a second-placed horse have attempted to use the courts to overturn a race result because the winning horse’s jockey violated whip regulations?

Apologies if this question has been poorly thought out.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Not sure.

I vaguely remember a race a few year back now. It was on the all-weather, the name of the jockey is gone but the trainer of the winning horse was Stuart Williams.

His jockey, might have been Dean Mernagh, struck the second horse over the head, I believe he broke his whip.

It’s all a bit vague, I realise, but I believe Williams and Mernagh kept the race. There was a big fuss at the time but I can’t remember if the connections of the second horse went to court.

That wasn’t much help was it?!

Colin

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Not sure.

I vaguely remember a race a few year back now. It was on the all-weather, the name of the jockey is gone but the trainer of the winning horse was Stuart Williams.

His jockey, might have been Dean Mernagh, struck the second horse over the head, I believe he broke his whip.

It’s all a bit vague, I realise, but I believe Williams and Mernagh kept the race. There was a big fuss at the time but I can’t remember if the connections of the second horse went to court.

That wasn’t much help was it?!

Colin

Mernagh rode the Williams horse, Mr Gisby to win. He was eventually disqualified but kept the race on the day.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

I am sure Wit will correct me if I am wrong but I don’t think any UK court would get involved in such a dispute.

The courts would argue the sporting body has juristiction over the outcome of a contest. The courts would only become involved if there was a point of law in dispute.

The only other time the courts would become involved in a whip case would be if the RSPCA bought a cruelty prosecution.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Thanks, Rory.

Colin

Tom
    • Total Posts 205

Maybe time the RSPCA too out a prosecution on a rider who will not adhere to the rules laid down by the horse racing authority.

After all, would an RSPCA offficer watch a member of the public strike a dog with a whip or whith is boot?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Maybe time the RSPCA too out a prosecution on a rider who will not adhere to the rules laid down by the horse racing authority.

Maybe the RSPCA has got better things to do with its time and money than throw them down the drain, paying lawyers to argue a case the courts would throw out immediately (reason as given by Paul).

This is the real world, Tom: remember that the RSPCA is a negotiating body, which was fully consulted by the Jockey Club before the whip rules were introduced, and is thus in an important sense party to them. The RSPCA has effectively accepted the BHA’s penalty system, and would not therefore be in a strong position to go to law.

After all, would an RSPCA offficer watch a member of the public strike a dog with a whip or whith is boot?

Watching that sort of thing is the RSPCA’s job, and I don’t envy them. They do a good job at dealing with these important issues rationally, and leave destructive, emotional blackmail to the fundamentalist half-wits from Animal Aid.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3326

Pinza,

Nice try, but a wasted effort – Tom doesn’t do reasoned debate.

Think of his contributions as a form of fly posting ………

AP

Tom
    • Total Posts 205

."Maybe the RSPCA has got better things to do with its time and money than throw them down the drain".

Are you trying to tell the board that that this organization puts money and before the whipping of an animal? Remember this case would not be heard at the OLD Bialy with Rumpole as one of the QCs.

One successful conviction would see more thought being given to how often a jockey whips a horse.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6964

:mrgreen:

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.