The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Where next for Kauto Star?

Home Forums Horse Racing Where next for Kauto Star?

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 115 total)
  • Author
    moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9299

Kauto Star has been as near perfect a racehorse as is possible around Kempton, but are we all forgetting that a couple of years ago there were doubts about him getting round in the Gold Cup because of his disregard of the occasional fence? His win in the King George this season wil go down as the pinnacle of his success [and rightly so] but he is not the same horse at Cheltenham. I often try to look back to see how history will regard events that are happening now, and I wonder if, many years from now Denman will be regarded as the greater ‘Cheltenham’ horse of the two?

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

How then Moe do you explain his imperious performance in Gold Cup 2009? All this nonsense about him being far below his best round Cheltenham is driving me up the wall. It is firmly my belief that the horse had a complete off day in 2008. Who knows why, maybe the horse had a headache for all we know! And yesterday the mistake really took the sting out of him. Up until that point he was jumping and travelling with all of his usual enthusiasm.

• Total Posts 113

Think I must be alone here.. admittedly I didn’t see much of the race clearly as I was by the paddock, but Kauto never looked to be travelling like he can and at the point he fell I was confident he wasn’t going to be a threat.

They are now allowed to remount and ride back as long as the vet has checked the horse over. I’m hoping Ruby had that done, because otherwise I’m disappointed there doesn’t seem to have been any reaction from the stewards.

I believe up until he made his blunder he was tanking along in that brilliant arrogant manner of his.The jolting blunder did his confidence in….when he fell id agree he was a beaten horse though.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Even if Kauto Star won eight KG’s, he still would be in Arkle’s shadow.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Kauto Star cearly was not on a going day.

On a going day Kauto Star would beat that field 4/5 lengths.

Very early to write him off imo

• Total Posts 113

Even if Kauto Star won eight KG’s, he still would be in Arkle’s shadow.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves.

All the Arkle-Kauto etc etc debate is just pure speculation imo.

Who can prove Arkle was better? The people that actually saw him run can remember how great he was….but maybe just maybe their recollections of him just snowball every year ,so every year that passes… in their minds Arkles performances get better and better.

They know they can try and put people below the age of …say 40…in their place by trotting out….."but arkle wouldve done this and that" etc.

Maybe just maybe…the Arkle legend is well above Arkle the flesh and blood?

Yes he had some monumental performances in handicaps etc…and won 3 gold cups….but how many of the horses he beat were actually top top class outside Mill House?
    How many opponents actually took him on in his gold cups?

For all we know Kauto might have won 5 gold cups in them days..we just dont know….and the crazy rating arkle had then was just a joke.

I never actually saw Arkle in the flesh so i cant say for sure….but why cant younger racing fans think Kauto etc is the best without being shot down over akle this and arkle that?

rant over :D

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

The older generation who were lucky enough to see Arkle cant have arguments against him.

Indeed my dad said yesterday that Kauto wont be remembered as a great as he couldnt retain the Gold Cup crown, and that only those who can retain back to back Gold Cups,Champion Chase etc are true greats…

He seemed to think that 3 King George wins was not enough to mark him a true great.

I was baffled but maybe he has a point…

• Total Posts 113

The older generation who were lucky enough to see Arkle cant have arguments against him.

Indeed my dad said yesterday that Kauto wont be remembered as a great as he couldnt retain the Gold Cup crown, and that only those who can retain back to back Gold Cups,Champion Chase etc are true greats…

He seemed to think that 3 King George wins was not enough to mark him a true great.

I was baffled but maybe he has a point…

Thats true…but what happens if…and i know its a big if…Kauto wins his 5th KG and regains the Gold cup for a 2nd time?

Just beacause he hasnt lumped round 17stone in some handicap against…for all we know….donkeys then he is still wildly inferior to Arkle.

Even the likes of Golden Miller are lauded as wonder horses through time…even though he basically won 5 grand national trials and one grand national itself.

We will never know for sure who are the best horses of all time and everyone is entitled to their opinion….in my opinion of course :wink:

• Total Posts 113

Kauto Star cearly was not on a going day.

On a going day Kauto Star would beat that field 4/5 lengths.

Very early to write him off imo

I reckon Kauto may well have been on a going day until his initial blunder.

After that he was done for.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

For what its worth Kauto Star is the best horse I have ever seen, Im 25 and therefore cant really comment on Arkle.

Before My dad said that I had him down as a true great, but it just got me thinking that maybe you have to successfully defend at the festival to be a true great, i.e be talked about in 50 years time..

• Total Posts 113

For what its worth Kauto Star is the best horse I have ever seen, Im 25 and therefore cant really comment on Arkle.

Before My dad said that I had him down as a true great, but it just got me thinking that maybe you have to successfully defend at the festival to be a true great, i.e be talked about in 50 years time..

Im only 2 years older and id agree with ye :D .

I just think its human nature that we cant give people/horses etc of the here and now the credit they deserve.We always compare to another time altogether and mostly come up with the older one being the better.

Football for example….you get the likes of pele,maradona,best etc put up as the best players of all time…..but il tell you something id far rather have had a Wayne Rooney than a pele or a Best…..but as hes playing in our time…then he surely cant be in the same league as them.

• Total Posts 403

Like Best Mate Kauto Star had a successfull career for one reason, nay competition I repeat nay competition.

Yesterday we witnessed a horse so deserving win the gold cup

God bless kauto star and may he rest in piece

And as for Deadman sorry I meant Denman throw over the bushes at Aintree with the rest of the cart horses

The 72 in your username refers to your IQ I presume. Your comments, spelling, grammar and punctuation all point to this.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1400

As some have already mentioned, Kauto Star was going like the winner until his first blunder.
    I think there’s every chance that KS can bounce back and win the 2011 Gold Cup.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I agree with ya there.

As with evolution all things improve…. its a fact of life. Therefore you cannot really compare current horses with past horses as times were simply different.

Debate is always healthy for the sport but I think people take it too far sometimes… We were all very luck to have Kauto Star walk away ok from that fall, lets just hope he comes back next season, wether he wins next years King George is up in the air but it would be brilliant to see him try.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9229

I disagree that he was ‘going like the winner’ until he hit that fence. He hit the fence very early and they were all travelling at that time.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

He was beat before falling, indeed imo he was beat long before Ruby even hit him with the whip.

I watched Ruby’s hand a while before he used the whip and he was always niggling, never happy with him….

Participant
    • Total Posts 1400

What annoys me is how suddenly people can go from one extreme to the other just over a lack lustre performance. Prior to the Gold Cup, huge numbers of racing fans were convinced that Kauto would win, that defeat seemed out of the question and what a superstar he was. Now that he failed to finish, he’s being slagged off as though he’s like public enemy number one.

Kauto Star will return and lay waste to the opposition again because that’s what true champions do!

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 115 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.