The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

What I would like CH 4 Racing to bring back

Home Forums Horse Racing What I would like CH 4 Racing to bring back

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 27

For me has to be viewers races they want to see again and why. Not a 20 sec flick but maybe 1 week even big race related or 1 a day if festival related flat and jump. When they used to do it previously I managed to see and tape footage of Bruni winning the St Leger 1975 footage I would never have seen if somebody hadn’t requested it back in the day when CH 4 used to show stuff on a regular basis. Now they need to move on and respond to viewers requests on a full race basis.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32174

I think especially in April you should be allowed the option of pressing the red button and have the football, cricket and snooker scores flash along the bottom of the screen, it’s not too much to ask for in this day and age, is it? :twisted:

Your suggestion sounds good aswell bluemanc.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 189

Laughter, racing is entertainment not science.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2805

Thrup’ny bits, Gareth Hunt, Dial-a-Disc, Herbert Asquith, lard, Clackers, Sir Jack Hobbs, centre forwards, Hai Karate, The Light Programme, Mick The Miller, Mellow Birds, Eddie Waring, rickets, Dion & The Belmonts, Rhodesia, Timothy Whites, Jim Clark, Radio Caroline and Spangles.

Ta.

Mike

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Stop Press

In response to criticism that the programme has become something of a humour vacuum Channel 4 are delighted to announce the signing of Bert Large.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1401

Bring the Picture Puzzle back! Only this time around, the puzzle isn’t the name of a horse but someone from the CH 4 Racing team.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 3003

Cripes Mike I remember most of those ,,,,whats going on ??,,,amusingly ..when I got lost touring Maine some years back ,…Sat nav was just a droplet in some tecchies eye :mrgreen: …I ventured into a Mick the Miller tavern for a bite and a few pints …what did I see only the whole place adorned with Mick the Miller photos and folklore …..which was funny because I knew it all backwards

The waitress asked me if I wanted a tour of the photos …to which I politely declined ….just goes to show you dont always get what you wantn …but sometimes you get what you need …..and you horrible lot need Ch 4 , so stop moaning and embrace the crap for what it is !!!

For those who dont know Mick was a small muscle bound runt of a greyhound ..who did the impossible by winning the waterloo cup 3 times … to win that once would drain any dog for ever , to win it 3 times is almost the stuff of loaves and fishes material

I will set my alarm for sat 7.55 as always …. :D

PRG
    • Total Posts 34

Bring back everything as it was, where possible making very careful changes to role casting in areas that can’t be replaced. The old blueprint worked. The chemistry (because there isn’t any), doesn’t work now.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2805

For those who dont know Mick was a small muscle bound runt of a greyhound ..who did the impossible by winning the waterloo cup 3 times

Not Mick Ricky, he was a track dog. Won the White City Derby in 1929 & 1930 then beaten in very controversial circumstances when ‘winning’ in 1931 before losing a re-run on the order of the judges.

In the history of the race only three other dogs have won it twice – Patricia’s Hope 72-73, Rapid Ranger 2000-01 and Westmead Hawk 2005-06 (2006 final shown below).

Considering one bump can put you out of the competition in any heat, it’s about as difficult to win consecutive Greyhound Derbys as it is to win consecutive Epsom Derbys! To all-bar win three is phenomenal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=273UIgmVoVg

Mike

DrummerBoy
    • Total Posts 14

Bring back Andrew Franklin and the Highflyer production team. That would solve most things (and no I didn’t work for them)
    I don’t know why Channel 4 got rid of them in the first place

Blocked
    • Total Posts 3003

Mike , of course it was Master Mc Grath ….embarrassed cough :oops: …..I stand corrected ,,,,,

anyway peeps enjoy Ch 4 racing for now warts and all , as 10 yrs from now it wont be around….racing’s brand is a busted flush and just wont last or appeal to broadcasters / advertisers

Sad but true

imo

Ricky

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

I saw Mick the Miller in a glass case at the Natural History Museum; my kids couldn’t understand why I was awe struck by this moth eaten stuffed dog. He’s moved elsewhere now.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

It’s no wonder I’m still happy watching Ch4 Racing given that two of the highlights of my life have been seeing a stuffed dog in a case and Arkles skeleton.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2805

I saw Mick the Miller in a glass case at the Natural History Museum; my kids couldn’t understand why I was awe struck by this moth eaten stuffed dog. He’s moved elsewhere now.

Blimey. How did he manage that?

Mike

Participant
    • Total Posts 2805

It’s no wonder I’m still happy watching Ch4 Racing given that two of the highlights of my life have been seeing a stuffed dog in a case and Arkles skeleton.

Well according to most on here, all three have a similar amount of life in them.

Mike

Participant
    • Total Posts 6010

Thrup’ny bits, rickets, Radio Caroline

Happy to report that

Thrup’ny bits (I presume you’re referring to the coinage) will be making a slight return as the design for the new £1 coin in 2015 and in real terms will probably buy you as little as 1.25p did before February 15th 1971

Rickets is alive and unwell amongst the Asian communities of the West Riding

Radio Caroline is alive and rather more slick and professional than it was when all the deejays suffered sea-sickness thanks to now being broadcast from a rusting hulk moored in Tilbury Docks
    http://www.radiocaroline.co.uk/#home.html

As I write they’re playing Black Night by Deep Purple…yessss, I feel 45 years younger and thrup’ny bits roll around my brain :)

Shame about Spangles though, I fear we will never see their like again. Never say never though, the side-parting has made a welcome comeback so absolutely anything is possible; my guess for the next big blast from the past would be Tuberculosis

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Commiserations to the original poster. Makes you wonder why anyone would want to start a thread if they are so easily allowed to be sidetracked. All Our Yesterdays which have zilch to do with the original thread should be dumped firmly in the lounge where they belong.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.