The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

What has the Breeders’ Cup done to the Arc?

Home Forums Horse Racing What has the Breeders’ Cup done to the Arc?

• This topic has 52 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 2 posts - 52 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

I dont agree with Paul but completely fail to see how a personal preference (which it clearly was) is "arrogant".

There are valid reasons why many would not warm to tight turns, draw dominated and dirt track racing compared with the turf over here(although thats bit hard on Santa Anita)

Its rather like saying Grasshopper is "arrogant" with his views about flat/jumps. Hes just daft,thats all…

Im not entirely sure that globalisation of racing has cpatured the imagination of the remaining racing public in the way it was anticipated. The dubai thing passes many by and the BC is still, for most, overshadowed in the conciousness by the Arc and Ascot. I love it myself and with aidan in that respect, but has it really done much to boost the sport?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I dont agree with Paul but completely fail to see how a personal preference (which it clearly was) is "arrogant".

It wasn’t. But remember, "arrogant" is one of those debased words (like "elitist" or "patronising") which is trotted out when somebody feels

(a)

out-argued and/or

(b)

out-written, and therefore

(c)

out-faced.

In a world where anyone’s opinion is supposedly as good as anyone else’s, people don’t like to feel

(c)

, and so all that’s left them is quick and dirty denigration of their adversary’s intelligence.

I realise that this is an elitist, patronising, and of course arrogant statement to make, but it is none the less true.

[Personally, I would like to see all three words banned from the language for 20 years, to free them up once again for meaningful service.]

Viewing 2 posts - 52 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.