The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

What A Load Of Cobblers. Football Season 1

Home Forums General Sports What A Load Of Cobblers. Football Season 1

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    Landafar
    Participant
    • Total Posts 800

This is my personal insite into my betting on my team, the ‘’Cobblers’’ otherwise known as Northampton Town.
    I have followed The Cobblers since the early 80’s when a friend said please come, they need the money. That first game was a Friday night against Hereford Town, I cant remember the score, maybe a draw or defeat. But the atmosphere that night was electric in the Hotel End. The old lads at the back of the stand singing their heads off and kicking the steel cladded wall. What an atmosphere for a cricket ground..yes it was a three sided ground, the fourth side was a few staw bails.
    The noise..
    I was born under the Hotel End,
    Knives were made for knifing,
    Guns were made to shoot,
    If you come up the Hotel End,
    We’ll all stick in the boot, oi!
    I was born under the Hotel End, The Hotel, Hotel End.
    Around 1984, the Cobblers moved into a brand new 6.5K stadium Sixfields..so much ambition shown with the capacity.
    From then until 1998 it was crap, always flirting with the dreaded drop to non league, and saved once by Kidderminster’s ground not being upto sctrach one season.

Then it happened, we landed in the play off’s, beating Cardiff in the semis and Swansea in the final. John Frians last minute direct free kick, what a memory.
    The next season away to The Gas (Bristol Rovers) we lost 2-0, only to turn it around in the second leg and win 3-0. So a second play off in succession only this time, a chance of making the championship for the first time since 1966/67. We lost to Grimsby 1-0, and the decline set in again. Once again many more seasons of dross in the bottom division.
    Ownership issues and a potential ground expansion which started and has been left unfinished, since 2014. This resulted in a council loan for ground expansion still being investigated by the police and no expansion. On the hotel end cobblers forum, there is 2275 pages of comments..
    Oh the life of a Cobbler supporter has no ending.
    Moving forward, new owner paid £1 in 2015 on the heart felt appeal by Chriss Wilder for the existing owners to sell. At the back end of the 2014 season a certain Ivan Toney a home grown lad, scored the goals that kept the Cobblers in the league. In 2015 he was sold to Newcastle for around £500K, he should be respected at Northampton as one of our own, but unfortunately he went onto play for the local rivals down the Nene.
    So on from that, we assumed our new status a Yo Yo club, up and down.

So here we go…for the What a load of Cobblers thread.
    Most bets will be for Cobblers matches, some will be for Local Non league, Banbury United and Brackley Town, and the occasional foray into my second team KSV1919..Kepfenberg.
    My main strategy will be for The Cobblers, correct score 4-1 home wins, typically between 25 to 50/1 and away wins at 8 to 12/1..
    Starting balance £100 (now thanks to Sky £140).
    So wish me luck..
    The above was written Thursday Aug 8th. Below is just before I start the thread.
    Well Sky bet dropped a £5 free bet in me account today, looking to burn it, I went for a KSV1919 3-1 win today at 28/1. My live feed dropped out around 85 mins with the score at 1-1. As I was home working on the kitchen, thought that was that, only to see that the Falcons scored 2 more in the 94th and 96th. So that’s a good start and the only way is down now. I can screen shot the win if anyone needs it.
    So £140 of Skys money to start with.

As a final comment, the only time Northampton Town were in League 1 (Premier League) in 1965/66, England won the the Big One..

Landafar
    Participant
    • Total Posts 800

Two Bets:

Cobblers away at the Gas to win 2-1 @11/1 stake £5
    Brackley Town V Scunthorpe 1-1 @5/1 stake £3
    So thats -£8

Participant
    • Total Posts 32167

Good luck with the thread Landafar.. :good:
    my new gf is a Gashead so I’ve done them as a last leg of a £3 acca along with the 5 of the O’Brien hot shots not all of Aidan’s and one is to place.. I doubt I’ll get that far but will post the bet up if The Gas ends up being the last leg..

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 8913

Southport play Brackley on 5th October. I might think about going to see that game but the racing is usually good that weekend.

Landafar
    Participant
    • Total Posts 800

Nathan, I think your new GF will be happy.
    Interesting referee for the match, EX MLS.
    Probably a fair result, Cobbs boss was moaning about not being fit enough, although from reports there’s an illness going through the team.

Landafar
    Participant
    • Total Posts 800

Fair play to you CAS, should be a close match that one.
    Not sure what the budget is for Southport, is it mostly from the attendance?
    Brackley have a sugar daddy, but with limits. Scunthorpe will most likely win it this season.

Landafar
    Participant
    • Total Posts 800

Wycombe Wanderers at home EFL CUP.
    Moving on to the next match, historically our manager gives game time to the unfit ones in the first round of this competition.
    Wycombe to win £10 @7/5 with a additional punt on of £2 1-3 correct score @18/1.

Wycombe gave Wrexham a decent game Saturday, and should have a good following for this one.

Minus £20.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8913

An organisation named The Big Help Group is the majority shareholder. They have invested a bit of money in the stadium and the squad but they don’t have a bottomless pit of money.

It looks like they have brought in a few decent signings, so I am hopeful about the new season. It was a reasonably easy win yesterday but I just wonder if they are still lacking a bit of quality. Having said that, Jim Bentley seems like a good manager and he should get the best out of them.

Southport is a town of 90,000 people so there is a potentially large fan base but its proximity to Liverpool takes a lot of them away.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32167

Thanks Landafar… Yes, she is pleased. I’m taking her to watch them against Cambridge at the end of the month

Whistlejacket let me ACCA down… Out of all of them I thought he was the banker..,😕

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Landafar
    Participant
    • Total Posts 800

Added £1 66/1 Cobbs to win 4-1. Id have been buggered if they did..

Nathan, The Gas, might be a good bet tonight at Cardiff, local international derby, passion etc.

Cork, thanks for that info, Ill be looking at their matches, I did not know Jim Bentley was the manager, he did well at Morcombe. Brackley’s town size is 15K, so truthfully punching above their standard. As above they are well supported financially. Crowd finance is mostly reliant on away support, its a shame Banbury United went down this year, as that was a 10 mile derby. But Police decided, no more than 250 away fans for either matches on Boxing Day and New Years day. Not surprised to be honest. There has been a lot of trouble at Banbury during the two years they had in the NPL.

Edit for clarification on Brackley crowds

Participant
    • Total Posts 8913

I have been quite impressed with Jim Bentley since he took over. He kept the club up last season and he looks like he has bought well during the pre-season. He always speaks well on the club’s YouTube channel and doesn’t hide behind excuses.

It is Needham Market away next Saturday – a 500 mile round trip. At least it is out of the way early. I know a few people who are more dedicated than me are making the journey.

Landafar
    Participant
    • Total Posts 800

Cork, there are fanatics that do these trips, they like the different taste of the beers.
    Plus the change ends at half time where allowed. Makes a good day out for those that enjoy it.

Wycombe 2 up at half time, fingers crossed.. Obviously not for the 4-1 home win tonight, but I had to cover it ..just incase. :cry:

Landafar
    Participant
    • Total Posts 800

Wycombe was a comfortable win, home fans are wondering why bother entering the cup if the reserves are going to play.
    Wycombe £10 at 7/5 Returned £24
    Wycombe C/S £-2
    Northampton C/S -1
    Ongoing
    League 1 Week 1 £-8
    EFL Cup £+11
    Running Total £+3

Transfer news, Man City have loaned the Cobblers a left footed centre back and Fulham have loaned to us a midfielder.
    Injuries, our big signing for upfront is out for a month (another Danny Hylton :cry: ). His name is Tom Eves, in the goal scorer markets at 15/2 for the first goal.

Reading on the Exeter Fans forums, they are unhappy with their midweek performance at Walsall although a changed team from the win against Rotherham.

I cant see much of an angle on this, The Cobblers manager John Brady is still saying the fitness is lacking, Exeter will bring a good crowd up for this. Probably one of the few fixtures for them that’s not north of Watford Gap (not by much).

Bets for Saturday:
    £1 4-1 Home win 66/1, probably the best chance of the season and could be the first one in two years or more.
    £2 Callum Morten Score anytime 5/2

Im undecided on either the draw at 11/5 or the home win at 8/5.
    The coin landed on home win £5 at 8/5.

Was +3
    Now -5

When the Northern Premier League and Southern League Central prices are available, will look at Banbury Utd and Brackley Town.
    :wacko:
    Edit to tidy up the mess..

Landafar
    Participant
    • Total Posts 800

Freds Bet has priced up NPL and SLC,
    Banbury Utd to win at St Ives Town 6/4 and Chester City to beat Brackley Town at 6/5
    Chester think they are well above this level.. :scratch:
    £2 Double 4.5/1

Minus £7.

Landafar
    Participant
    • Total Posts 800

Callum Morton Scored returned 7
    Cobbs won returned 13
    Non league both lost.
    +13

KSV 1919 away to Stum Graz Res tonight.
    If this the Graz 1st team, it would be classed as a derby.
    Away win 5 at 29/20

Landafar
    Participant
    • Total Posts 800

So from +8
    KSV 1919 Win, 5 retuned 12.25
    Now +20.25.

Landafar
    Participant
    • Total Posts 800

Austria Bund L2 Friday night 5:30pm K/O.
    KSV 1919 V SK Poelten, Kapfenberg Three league wins on the trot, Scoring 6 goals and joint top of the league. SK, two draws and a loss so far, scoring one and conceding three and 12 of 16 in the league.
    Priced up as 11/5 Home 23/10 Draw 19/20 Away.
    Keeping the blind faith for this.
    Home win 2.75.

+17.5

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.