The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Well Done Fakenham

Home Forums Horse Racing Well Done Fakenham

• This topic has 12 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Zoz.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3106

<br>Remember that hurdle race at Fakenham last season, when the last hurdle was coned off, but the jockeys on the first two horses never saw the flag man or the cones until too late and just kept on going?

Well they had a repeat today, wth injured jockeys on the ground to add to the safety risks.

But the good news is that somebody has learnt from the mistakes made last time. This time the flag man was further away from the hurdle on the crown of the bend, and he was leaning over the rail waving his flag fit to bust – and he wasn’t half hidden by the starter’s car being parked just inside the running rail.

So this time, all the jockeys knew what to do, the hurdle was safely bypassed and the injured riders continued to receive treatment.

Well done the management at Fakenham.

AP

Zoz
    • Total Posts 703

What happened in the race?

I tuned in just to see the runners bypass the hurdle and saw the two jockeys on the ground, some way from the landing side of the hurdle – everyone involved ok?

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

I tuned in at exactly the same time as zoz, and saw the jocks prostrate on the ground.<br>I hope Mr Pogson is OK.  He was on a drip by the look of it.  Didn’t look good.<br>The flag was in a better position, but this simply further illustrates that the final fence should be re-located, or even eliminated.  It is far too close to that final bend IMO.  I said that much last year, and it’s still there :(

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2927

I think they should still have someone stood in front of the hurdle waving a flag as back up, after all there are injured jockeys on the other side.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

A horse fell and brought down another one…….didn’t look good at the time………it looks as if the horses are OK, same can’t be said for Adam Pogson.

Colin

Zoz
    • Total Posts 703

Thanks Colin – hope he’s ok. Didn’t look good, admittedly.

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2927

They had to omit a hurdle out in the country in the last and it was an half – hearted effort from the flagman on the inside of the rails, why aren’t they on the track?

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Quote: from Racing Daily on 2:44 pm on Oct. 20, 2006[br]I tuned in at exactly the same time as zoz

Hmmmmmm – what’s that about – rory won’t be pleased:biggrin:

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

Maybe Kermit and I have that ESP thing goin’ on :biggrin:

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Quote: from Racing Daily on 2:44 pm on Oct. 20, 2006[br]<br>The flag was in a better position, but this simply further illustrates that the final fence should be re-located, or even eliminated.  <br>

<br>There’s hardly any fences per circuit as it is!

Joking aside, I’m really concerned about Adam Pogson, as he’s the stable jockey, assistant trainer and general brains behind the operation of his father Charles’ smart permit operation in Nottinghamshire. Getting demented creatures like Lord Baskerville and Seymour Weld to race more kindly and even win the races they have is no small feat, and they’ve had some good days out at a higher level with Reel Missile and Brush A King every so often.

If he’s really badly smashed up, there’s a real risk that that’s the family’s livelihood as a whole in some jeopardy. I trust the Injured Jockeys’ Fund is aware of the likely seriousness of the situation.

Jeremy<br>(graysonscolumn)<br>

(Edited by graysonscolumn at 7:31 pm on Oct. 20, 2006)

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

highflyer1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 211

I was at the course and was told by an official  that Adam Pogson suffered a broken pelvis among other injuries. Not good, but here’s hoping he can make a full recovery.

Zoz
    • Total Posts 703

Quote: from davidbrady on 4:07 pm on Oct. 20, 2006[br]

Quote: from Racing Daily on 2:44 pm on Oct. 20, 2006[br]I tuned in at exactly the same time as zoz

Hmmmmmm – what’s that about – rory won’t be pleased:biggrin: <br>

:laugh:

Whatever you say, lads…

On a more serious note… Shame to hear about so many casualties at the track today, fingers crossed for quick recoveries all round.

bear
    • Total Posts 143

Watched a chase on TV this afternoon from Fakenham. With the mute button activated – Thompson commentating, and not being too distracted by the horses – my fancy tumbled over early doors, my eyes were drawn to the outside running rail on the side of the course running away from the stands.

Unless I’m mistaken, the uprights are of the original concrete variety. Now as the fence jumped down that side is positioned right next to the rail, surely this is a disaster waiting to happen. Are the racecourse just saving a few quid by not having them replaced, or is there some good reason for this? The rest of the uprights appear to be the plastic sort.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.