The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Cheltenham Five Days?

Home Forums Horse Racing Cheltenham Five Days?

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 116 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 2553

From the RP

5-day-festival

Participant
    • Total Posts 4118

That would be just too bad to be true. Moving the Bumper – the race which provides the most G1 winners in the next years – to be the last race of the Festival. The Bumper should be left on Wednesday’s card, this is the true NH Day of the entire meeting (with the exception of the Coral Cup).

And by the way, will the ground stand that much racing? How will they race? Two days on the Old Course and three on the New One…..

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

To be fair, I think the suggested schedule looks OK. Gold Cup still on the Friday and the Ryanair and some of the dross on Saturday. Maybe swap the Grand Annual and the Cross Country around, to put the latter with the rest of the rubbish.

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6657

One of the worst things about racing is that anytime anything changes everyone moans

Does any sport have a worse “it was better in my day” complex?

GSP
    Participant
    • Total Posts 434

But why the sudden changes now, after all these years?
    It seems EVERYTHING is up for review, why?
    Things were working before, why change them?

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

Always Horse Racing where you hear “what can be done to attract new people to the sport”
    I’d suggest leave it as it is and people will like it or not
    danger with messing around to much it can turn off what followers they do have

Blackbeard to conquer the World

GSP
    Participant
    • Total Posts 434

Exactly NH.
    I remember Racing for Change were trying to attract new people and one initiative was to attract students.
    Trouble is/was students have no money! What a stupid idea, so out of touch.

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6657

Every sport is always looking for ways to attract new people

If you aren’t moving forwards you’re going backwards

Adding 2 races and having an extra day seems perfectly fine to me

Don’t see it really adding much to my enjoyment but can’t see any reason it would take away either :good:

Cheltenham will still be Cheltenham and the world will keep on turning

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7543

For an extra race I propose the Chuckle Brothers Sulk Off 2.5 mile handicap chase. For every horse that connections feel is unfairly handicapped and thus would not run in another race at the festival. They are all allowed to run off 5lb lower than the mark allotted to them by the English handicapper. Although I’d compress the handicap so topweight Tiger Roll gets 7lb off. Race conditions limit runners to those owned by Gigginstown Stud.

(TBF to the O’Learys they have come straight out and said 5 day festival is a bad idea).

GSP
    Participant
    • Total Posts 434

Interesting last comment there greenasgrass, are things being pushed to the limit already?

In football they have got their way and have more matches, but at a cost of fatigue and needing even more resources to keep things ticking over.

TROY111
    Participant
    • Total Posts 280

Don’t care what they do about Cheltenham, just don’t touch the Dublin Racing Festival Quality meeting. :good:

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

Agree about Dublin racing festival. What the British authorities should be doing is trying to reinvigorate the NH season before Cheltenham. Make the King George meeting a bigger two day festival and a real mid-season target. Too much of the season is tedious now, especially when you know our Grade 1 winners are going to be crushed by the Mullins/Elliot/De Bromhead juggernaut at Prestbury Park in March.

Participant
    • Total Posts 251

The Dublin Racing festival where Willie won 9 of the 15 races across the two days?

Good for punters I’m sure but not sure how good it is for the sport overall.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32901

To be serious for a moment.
    I agree every sport is always looking for ways to attract new people FF, but why does it need to alter the best bit?

Cheltenham has already made races less competitive and less quality by bringing in Mares races, a novice 2m4f chase, the Martin Pipe and a second staying novice hurdle.

Personally, I suspect some of the above were brought in not because they are needed, but because they wanted an excuse to bring in a fifth day.

What are the two extra races going to be? If a “Ryanair” Hurdle then of course it is going to decimate the quality of both Champion Hurdle and Stayers Hurdle, with odds-on favourites far more likely and the best horses avoiding each other. So quality of all three races are reduced. Cheltenham – as we know it – is only Cheltenham because it is top quality AND competitive; a Ryanair Hurdle reduces both… And Cheltenham just becomes like any other “Festival”. Cheltenham will not be “Cheltenham”…

For me, that Racing Post example may as well be just the first 4 races on each day.

However, certain types of race may be better than others. The only type I can think of that imo would enhance the Festival is a 3m6f+ Veterans Handicap chase… Although it may have a negative impact on the Midlands National, making it a “Veterans” race may help in that respect.

What race would you (seriously) suggest bringing in?

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

Because its where they can make the most money from little effort put in

Captain Robbo
    Participant
    • Total Posts 929

How on earth does making Cheltenham festival from 4 days to 5 days attract new people to the sport?

The only thing it attracts is more money to the sell out organisers and corporate sponsors.

They are basically watering down the already watered down once great 3 day festival.

Everybody should boycott it and turn up at Southwell fibresand card on the Tuesday.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

Yeh Robbo,
    Boycott Cheltenham yet you give the Qatar World Cup the thumbs up.

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 116 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.