The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Viewers find C4 a turn off

Home Forums Horse Racing Viewers find C4 a turn off

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    PRG
    • Total Posts 34

Not new news really, but highlighted in the currant bun yesterday where the article led:
    Channel 4’s dwindling racing audience will come under the spotlight at the Grand National meeting.
    Cheltenham was a disaster, starting with an appearance by a psychic pig tipster. Which formless executive thought of that?
    Figures were down overall at Cheltenham yet C4’s loyal Hannah Walker still claims all is well. The Daily Telegraph’s Jim McGrath commented: "she’s a better spinner than Shane Warne".

runandskip
    • Total Posts 412

People have been saying for months that the policy of not showing the horses before the race in favour of interviews drive then up the wall but still the ill thought out format continues.
    Also why do we have to put up with that annoying music every time they put a caption on screen?

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

Its a terrible programme that is far more interesting in pulling the casual fan.

‘Jack of all trades and master of none.’

Participant
    • Total Posts 1085

When you have their time experts

Jim McGrath

and

Graham Cunningham

stating at the festival that race times over jumps should be started from when the "tapes go up" and not when they pass the starter, the way

Timeform

now time the races, you come to realise what a couple of arrogant idiots they are.

No doubt they also believe that there is an Easter Bunny and the WFA scale designed by Admiral Rous is accurate. 8)

edinahib
    • Total Posts 198

Its neither light entertainment or an informative racing programme.I know mcririck isnt to everbodys taste but as he has shown on atr he is still by far the most interesting pundit. Channel 4 need to admit their mistake,get thommo, big mac and alistair down back on and get matt chapman as well.I only watch channel 4 when atr arent covering the races and unless they sort it out we could end up not seeing racing on terrestial tv as channel 4 wont let this go on forever.Of the current channel 4 set up id only keep graham cunningham and of the course the gorgeous gina bryce.The rest im afraid need to go.

no idea
    • Total Posts 684

Personally I hope they go.
    The broadcast is shocking and those ridiculous pictures from the car when you can only see less than half the field is toe-curling.
    I don’t know what hold they have over Racing UK because they show those pictures when C4 is on and I hate them

Blocked
    • Total Posts 3003

Looks like your stuck with them …..

Never mind , just switch off and pay a few bob for RUK , they are the business

It would not surprise me if we have no terestial coverage within the next 5 years ….would it make any difference ???

I doubt it

imo

Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

The powers at be at Channel 4 never listen to criticism, with particular reference to presenters sticking a microphone up at winner jockeys after a race which is universally condemned as worthless, but yet they keep on doing it so I don’t think they will make any changes to the show. However I agree with what other people have said bring back Alastair Down, Derek Thompson and Mike Cattermole and bring some of the fun back.

I remember a few years ago when racing was cancelled & C4 had Alastair, Catt, Mac etc in the studio. Catt was reading the results from somewhere in Ireland and having great difficulty in pronouncing the names of the some of the winners which included something like Graffititongue. It was so funny hearing Catt getting more and more flustered trying to name the horses which being friendly barracked by Alastair and Big Mac. It was silly but I do miss that style of presenting.

As for Ricky’s suggestion there will no terrestrial coverage of racing in five years I’m quite certain of it, but while ATR and Racing UK are around, and I’m sure someone like Sky will pick up the big races such as the Derby and Grand National, there probably won’t be much difference.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1401

Alice Plunkett needs to go. She’s about as appealing as a turd on a dinner table.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2805

I am firmly of the belief that **********, ********** and ********** should all be sacked immediately because I don’t like them.

Likewise, **********, ********** and ********** should be promoted/brought back/on a lot more often because I think they are brilliant.

Failure to comply with this is obvious proof that Channel Four just don’t listen to me. Sorry, I mean their customers.

Mike

(********** insert name as required)

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Alice Plunkett needs to go. She’s about as appealing as a

turd on a dinner table

With that in mind I think I’ll back

Brown

sea Brink and Gabrials

Kaka

in a cheeky reverse forecast for the Lincoln

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1401

We could be onto something Steve. I’m now gonna put a tenner on Off Art … which seems more like

Of Fart

to me.

edinahib
    • Total Posts 198

There does seem to be a lot of wind that comes out of the current presenters. As with most organisations in general ch 4 seem to think they know better than the customer. Me thinks the ship will hit the rocks sooner or later.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4714

I am firmly of the belief that **********, ********** and ********** should all be sacked immediately because I don’t like them.

Likewise, **********, ********** and ********** should be promoted/brought back/on a lot more often because I think they are brilliant.

Failure to comply with this is obvious proof that Channel Four just don’t listen to me. Sorry, I mean their customers.

Mike

(********** insert name as required)

It’s not that straightforward, though, is it? I’m pretty sure we could round up four TRF members and come up with a better team than that currently employed by Channel 4. And, yes, you only need four people in total: anchor, form expert, interviewer and betting ring reporter. The current presentation team is way too bloated.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2805

I’m pretty sure we could round up four TRF members and come up with a better team than that currently employed by Channel 4.

Absolutely no chance.

Fronting programs on TV has little to do with knowledge and everything to do with presenting skills. Take any four people off here (or anywhere else) and they would mumble, ‘dry’ and go ‘umm’ and ‘er..’ every ten seconds.

It would look & sound dreadful!

Mike

Participant
    • Total Posts 784

Depends on what their background is. I’m a lecturer and would have no trouble, I’m sure there are lots on here that could write me my script……1

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3763

Mike,

But Mapletoft has built an entire career on Um and Err!

Having been there, done that, if only briefly, I can confirm that it isn’t as easy as it looks. It requires a lot of preparation, and it can still go wrong if events take an unexpected turn.

I still have bad dreams about the time I was required to fill 11 minutes on an 8 runner Wincanton novice hurdle (in which five of the field were 50/1 or bigger) after one of the runners got loose.

It’s the hardest sport to broadcast live because the action fills such a small part of the total program time. It’s why the Grandstand coverage was the best, because they filled in the gaps with other sports.

What leads to the love him/her, hate him/her positions is the fact that him and her spend so much time on screen during a racing program, whereas with football, cricket, tennis, golf, there’s lots of action and less talking heads.

The nearest parallel with racing is athletics, and I feel the same way about Denise Lewis (does she employ a hairdresser or a landscape gardener?) and Colin Jackson as many do about Emma and the Cat.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 69 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.