The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Veiled

Home Forums Memorials Veiled

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 433

Was pts after pulling up injured in the 2.00 race at Goodwood RIP Lass :(

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

Wonderful dual purpose mare. From a personal [and somewhat selfish] point of view I find this one very hard to take, having started to follow long/middle distance races on the flat far more closely in recent years knowing that the attrition rate is so much less than over jumps. Also a concern that two horses came down on the flat today.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16970

Have followed Veiled throughout her career and like Moehat this has hit hard, once more a cloud thrown over the start of a top meeting.
    Up until last June when she won at Ascot she hardly ever ran a bad race but for the past year she has seemed to lose her form and it’s a shame that she wasn’t retired to stud after her last victory.

She will be sadly missed and condolences to all connections who must be devastated at their loss today.

RIP Veiled…We will miss you so much :cry:

Relief that Prince Montague got up safely and Ryan Moore was unhurt after a nasty incident in the first race at Goodwood today.

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Participant
    • Total Posts 385

Poor girl. RIP :cry:

Can they not fix broken-down tendons well enough for mares to go on and breed? Several pts lately after breaking down and for some reason I have always thought in many cases they can be repaired.
    :?

• Total Posts 433

Not certain, Nighthorse, but I think she broke a pastern or a fetlock. :( I think the immobility is the main problem with trying to repair this type of injury

Participant
    • Total Posts 16970

I remember Aspen Darlin pulling up with a tendon injury in the 1,000 Guineas at Newmarket in 2009, she was taken to Newmarket Equine Hospital and luckily they were able to save her and retire her to stud.
    Wish the same had been possible for Veiled, there must have been complications..really sad for her :cry:

Participant
    • Total Posts 385

Not certain, Nighthorse, but I think she broke a pastern or a fetlock. :( I think the immobility is the main problem with trying to repair this type of injury

It’s strange. I watched the re-run and the horse I saw pulling up was still moving fairly ok, not hopping lame, and did not pull up dramatically quickly, so I thought not too bad an injury.

Maybe I was looking at the wrong horse :?

Participant
    • Total Posts 784

I thought it looked quite a badly broken hind pastern myself. Real shame.

• Total Posts 433

She was the only one to pull up, NH, so nothing wrong with your eyesight! Maybe a broken pastern is not quite so dramatic looking as an injury higher up the leg :(

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

If it was a hind leg I’d assume it would not affect her mobility in the same way as a foreleg. As I was scrolling down the page to read this I had a horrible feeling that someone was going to say she was in foal; that would’ve been unbearable.

Participant
    • Total Posts 17

on facebooks in memory of our racehorses

Lisa Hill RIP our baby, leg broken in 3-4 places, pedal bone turned to jelly & coronary band affected. Had one more race left then was going to produce us some fantastic babies. Xxx

Dave Hill Sleep well sweetheart, your race is run! The whole family are devastated especially dad, we are just glad she didn’t have to suffer for long. Plucky mare with great heart and a turn of pace like no other, would have given us some fantastic foals but sadly not to be.

I assume her owners ?

RIP sweet Veiled x x x :cry:

Participant
    • Total Posts 16970

That is so sad pyewacket…
    my heart goes out to them, she was so loved and such a gallant mare…we have lost so many much loved horses these past months, it’s hard to visit this section but need to say goodbye and pay respects..RIP :cry:

• Total Posts 433

Well said, Triptych :(

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.