The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Urban Poet to improve.

Home Forums Horse Racing Urban Poet to improve.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    • Total Posts 205

I was impressed by Sheikh Hamdan Bin Mohammed Al Maktoum,s Urban Poet in the Always Trying Open Maiden Stakes at Hamilton on Thursday.
    The three-year-old bay colt trained by M Johnston has taken his time to appear on the track but Dynaformer’s son looks as if he could go from strength to strength.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4515

Unfortunately, he seems to produce quite a number of horses who easily win a maiden but get beaten next time. Whispering Gallery springs to mind.

Tom
    • Total Posts 205

Very true but I thought that Urban Poet could be that little bit special.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Unfortunately, he seems to produce quite a number of horses who easily win a maiden but get beaten next time. Whispering Gallery springs to mind.

Whispering Gallery hardly ran badly at York did he? You’d have to think he ran at least as well there considering the much stronger opposition than he faced on his debut.

yorkshirepudding
    • Total Posts 608

I am not a fan of the way Mark Johnston does his horses ( they look ratty and scrawny), I dislike the fact they always seem too be up with the pace, so they often cut each others throats in a race, that and he does his horses tails up which fine for some hairy pony at a show, it looks crap on a race horse.

Whispering Gallery ran like drain, another green horse who could have donr with a quiet introduction, now he has a very high handicap mark, one for the paul nichols brigade me thinks.

I love Urban Poets breeding, a son of Dynaformer, aka Mr Nasty, late maturing old fashoned TBs, with temprements like pitbulls, who will get down and dirty too win, they run on any thing.

Tom
    • Total Posts 205

Marble, surely you have noticed by now there there are more astute racehorse trainers and jockeys on this board that have ever have entered a horse for a race of rode out a finish.

I like Mr Johnston but I do have my reservations in certain areas.

Two hundred horses in training? Not that he is alone in having so many animals in training but I have always felt that a trainer should only have as many horses as he can personally get to know and have time to manage. Some time ago I spoke to an old lad who had spent sixty years working in stables, only three employers in all that time. He said that for a trainer to be in full control of all that was going on, 100 inmates to the stable was the maximum.

Then we have the criticism of a stable’s policy of running animals too often. Yes I can see where those are coming from who make this criticism are coming from.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.